Used 1990 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Chevrolet S-10-blazer - Consumer Reviews

1990 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer SUV

View reviews for a specific S-10 Blazer model:

19+ yrs old and still alive.
By Josh Castle

1990 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer SUV Tahoe 2dr SUV 4WD

One owner, 190,000+ miles and still runs great. Speedy takeoff, had to replace tranny and water pump. Love the squared-off look of this truck. Bad things: leaks about a quart of oil every 125 miles highway. Interior is all plastic and is pretty much shot. Headliner is hanging and pieces can fall off. Registered about 27 mpg if you baby it. All latches still open great but hood latch is hard to pull. 4wd still engages great, but put it in reverse to help disengage it. Got air to blow icecold after using freeon. And overdrive acts funny when flooring it down the interstate. Great truck for a begginer or restorer, it'll keep you safe, lower it or raise it, just needs some upgrades and tlc.

Favorite Features

4WD still works great, lots of options and directions you can go with this model.

Suggested Improvements

The plastic interior was used to help gas mileage but could have used some better material to help with the aging. Aluminum trim stinks. Will need replacing. Ignition switch is rough and hard to turn. Needs cupholders!

Great Vehicle
By Soldat251

1990 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer SUV 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this beat and rusted Blazer off a local guy for $500 dollars and never regretted a cent of it. The car has plenty of power and speed for the highway while being great fun off road. Despite having over 170,000 miles on it the most major repairs needed was a new serpentine belt and cap, and wire replacements. Besides that the motor and trans have never given me any problems despite being almost 20 years old and clearly roughly used. A Honda Civic hit me while parked a few months ago and aside from a dented bumper and fender it was fine while the Civic was totaled. A great car.

Favorite Features

The seats are comfortable as anything and the heater throws heat like its going out of style. The turning radius is also extremely tight. For a big 20 year old V6 mpg is pretty good too.

Suggested Improvements

The lower parts of the body seem to rust out on most of these. Personally I cut the rust off and welded sheet metal to replace it but the bodies do rust.

Model T of 90's
By Bob Harley

1990 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer SUV 2dr SUV

My S Blazer is an 88'. It has the 2.5L 4 cyl., Manual trans, and 4.11 gears. Put simply this car Damn reliable. In 16 years the only problems have been paint peeling (common ailment of late 80's chevys), a water pump, a battery, a heater core, some tires & gas. Not a refined SUV, but UTILITY should be in all caps. Never lets me down and despite it's 88 HP engine, easily hauls four adults, or 1500lbs of cargo.

Favorite Features

I love the boxy look, especially with five spoke rims! Reliability is great.

Suggested Improvements

I wish dad had talked mom into the V6 and automatic... Oh well, it's my work truck anyways.

217,000 miles and still going strong
By RossB

1990 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer SUV Sport 2dr SUV 4WD

I've had my 1990 S-10 4X4 Blazer for a little over a year now. I've actually been very impressed with how well it's help up seeing how it had 196,000 miles on it when i bought it. I've already put about 18,000 miles on it since i bought it and it's still working great. I've had no trouble w/ it so far. (knock on wood.) I don't think it's very good for towing big things though. I tried towing a 3700lb car and it doesn't haddle very well. It's a good SUV for day to day driving though.

Favorite Features

I think the 4WD is my favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

The s-10 Blazer could use some more power to it. I have the 4.3 V6 w/ 160hp. The year before the vortec V6 w/ 190hp was put into it. It's not real quick but it'll get u there.

The Beast lives.
By leftofthenormal

1990 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer SUV Tahoe 2dr SUV

Really, my truck is a '88 Blazer, but this is the closest thing to it. I had a new 2.8L V6 put in it, and it's been running smoothly ever since. Excellent reliability. It starts up and runs without a struggle, even on cold days. Excellent power, for an older truck. This is definatly NOT a gas saver, but it rates about 20-22 MPG to and from school and work. Extremely versitile, and fun to drive. I wish they still made this body style. It can be beat.

Favorite Features

Body Style.

Suggested Improvements

The 2.8L V6 was replaced with a 4.3L later down the road. If you want more power, get a newer S-10 Blazer, like a '93 or '94. CUPHOLDERS. It sucks having to hold your drinks. :\