The Maytag of cars
By morin2 on
2002 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)
Bought this car slightly less than 3 years old with 25K miles on odom, a local car traded at a new car dealer. Now have 83K miles on it. The car is my commuter & driven 107 miles/day. Utterly reliable appliance but somewhat bland and boring. Have only done routine maintenance - replaced the awful original Firestones with Bridgestone Insigna and done the easy oil changes, coolant flushes & trans flush. Use Toyota filters & red coolant. This car will be soon passed down to my daughter & will be her first car - good for a new driver, slow, safe, and all controls very easy. I get about 31-36 mpg.
Favorite Features
Good size trunk. Decent roof - flat & long enough for Yakima or Thule rack & bars. I carry a 17' kayak on this car with no trouble (actually have carried 2). LSI has fold-down rear seats for more storage.
Suggested Improvements
Mine has the 3-speed auto trans, fine technology for 1968, but this is ridiculous. The 4-speed auto should have been the only auto trans offered. I knew this when I bought it, but the price made it OK. Loud at highway speeds as the engine revs in 3rd gear.