Used 2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

One of the best cars I've ever owned
By TexasGal

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because it was a Consumers Digest Best Buy and because of the MPG rating. I wasn't disppointed. Extremely reliable, the MPG is great, I've had no mechanical problems, and at 84,000 miles, I've never needed an alignment! I would buy another one if Chevy was still making them. I guess that's why GM can't make money.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Keep making them!

'02 Prizm
By AngelaJane

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had a very good experience with this car. I bought it as a certified used vehicle with a little over 36,000 miles. The transmission went out a couple months after I bought it. Several minor interior things have come apart. The filler pipe on the gas tank came unwelded and fell partially into the tube, so I was not able to fuel the car until that was removed. This week the running lights and auto- on headlights quit working, but could still be turned on manually,a few days later, they stayed on, requiring disconnecting the battery to turn off. The switch failed and it's located under the pas. air bag requiring the entire dash to be removed. I would not buy another or reccomend!

Favorite Features

Fuel economy is pretty good, and the size is nice, making it easy to park. The visibility is pretty good, few blind spots. Turning is pretty good too- -easy U-turns! It also handles well for this type of car at high speeds.

Suggested Improvements

Other than better quality control (because of all the trouble I'm having) I would've liked to see a better interior design, the radio and heat/cooling controls are a little out of reach for me. Also, interior noise is a bit much at high speeds.

Good For Average Driver
By dude

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This may be a problem with just my '02 Prizm, but when traveling at speeds above 65 mph the steering wheel begins to have an annoying vibration. I've tried several things to fix it, but it stays there, but other than that its great. It gets around 31 mpg on the highway, and is perfect for begining drivers. I would recomend it to anyone, but make sure you test it good first before you buy it.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage and manuvaribility

Suggested Improvements

Better struts, more room in the back and put the ignition somewhere else than beside your knee

Pragmatic Peppy Car
By WNY Driver

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd 5-speed Prizm I have owned - the other I bought new in 1998 that my 6'4" son drives now (tight fit) & has 125K miles. Ownership experience great for both. 32- 38 mpg depending on conditions. With high gas prices have taken on longer trips recently (10+ hours). The Prizm is designed for commuting around town but the seats are bearable for longer distances by buying a memory foam car seat on eBay for ~$30. 5-speed is the way to go - great stick and it provides the flexibility to delay shift if more accel. needed. Leased 2002s are on the retail market now but most are auto. Great cars!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage; reliabilty; good pep with 5 speed; decent handling; ABS Option nice to have in bad weather like we have in upstate NY

Suggested Improvements

Seats uncomfortable over long distance (helped w/ after market cushion); little leg room in rear; would be nice to have split rear seat (only LSi has); seat fabric avg; tach should be std on 5-speed.

A first year release?
By GoldSilver

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a car, couldn't pass up the $5k rebates for the last model year. Ordered silver, surprised me with red (changes colors in different light) :) Overall it's been a dependable fuel efficient car. Great hwy car and efficiency. Invokes little passion but does it's job well. Oil changes and maintenance are a snap - 1st winter - engine hammered at startup- found out local chain was putting in 10w-30, now I chnge it and use 5w-30, makes a big diff! Powertrain still feels bulletproof, but trim (interior door panels, carpet, paint) seem decontented compared to past 2 Prizms - hopefully Toyota has reversed this - feels like a 1st yr release because of it - no real problems to report at 40k.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy - 32 avg, 35 at low shift pts, 40! on highway trips, rotors have yet to warp (at 40k), dual stabilizer bars, ac works very well, 15" alloys improved the appearance, sporty shifter, GM stereo (upgraded speaks) low mntnance - timing chain, stainless exhaust, titanium plugs, hope it lasts!

Suggested Improvements

Struts, tach, feels decontented, poor engine mngmnt - hot weather moodiness and programmed too lean causes: stepping on the gas the car is initially hesitant/unsure - spark knock briefly at 25 & 35 mph(mostly solved by using non-ethanol gas). Yes, cool weather is back, and so is the performance.