Used 2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Very Nice Practical Car.
By Moe

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First of all, don't expect this car to be a Ferrari. I bought my Prizm in 2004 with 32000 miles on it, and it has served me well since then as it has 77k on it. The engine was PLENTY of power to get you merging onto that highway or to pass the annoying driver in the city or highway. As for the transmission I do have the 3-speed auto and I would have liked to have the 4-speed auto or 5-speed manual, considering the 3-speed is quite noisy on the highway, but that not too much of a problem for me, as I turn up the music a little bit. Additionally the 4-speed does a little better in gas. I'm averaging 27mpg city and 32mpg highway (interstate 72mph) and 36mpg U.S highway (60mph).

Favorite Features

1. Great gas mileage even with 3-speed! 2. Extremely smooth shifting transmission. 3. Awesome turn circle. Makes parallel parking a breeze. 4. Auto headlights 5. Perfect engine power 6. Of course reliability..it's the same as a Toyota Corolla!

Suggested Improvements

1. Make the 4-speed auto standard 2. Better factory struts. I had to change mine at 40k. Originals are oil charged, and leak easily. I replaced them with gas charged struts, now there's no more shimmy on the highway, and its more comfortable 3. Bring back the Prizm! I have two (other is a 96')

Great and Reliable Car
By von

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car used in the summer of 2007. I never had any problems with it. This is my first car and only car. I was surprised to find out they don't make this car anymore. It is good on gas and reliable. It is also good for a small family.

The Maytag of cars
By morin2

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car slightly less than 3 years old with 25K miles on odom, a local car traded at a new car dealer. Now have 83K miles on it. The car is my commuter & driven 107 miles/day. Utterly reliable appliance but somewhat bland and boring. Have only done routine maintenance - replaced the awful original Firestones with Bridgestone Insigna and done the easy oil changes, coolant flushes & trans flush. Use Toyota filters & red coolant. This car will be soon passed down to my daughter & will be her first car - good for a new driver, slow, safe, and all controls very easy. I get about 31-36 mpg.

Favorite Features

Good size trunk. Decent roof - flat & long enough for Yakima or Thule rack & bars. I carry a 17' kayak on this car with no trouble (actually have carried 2). LSI has fold-down rear seats for more storage.

Suggested Improvements

Mine has the 3-speed auto trans, fine technology for 1968, but this is ridiculous. The 4-speed auto should have been the only auto trans offered. I knew this when I bought it, but the price made it OK. Loud at highway speeds as the engine revs in 3rd gear.

Love my Prizm!
By Przmlvr

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This Chevy Prizm was my first car. I'm just 16 but the quality of the car is amazing. The car is mainly quiet when driving and is easy to maintain. I bought the car when it had 50,000 miles and have had virtually no problems. The Prizm has cruise, power everything, automatic lights, with a 3 speed automatic. The car handles the turns well and has just enough power to travel the hills and highways. Overall a good car.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is great! The stereo system is good (although I installed subs) and the ride quality is amazing.

Suggested Improvements

3 months after purchasing the car I noticed water in the trunk. I had to take out the light and seal the inside of the light to fix the problem. Also the check engine light has come on 3 times in 6 months. I had it checked but nothing was wrong with the engine. Finally the cupholders are awkward.

These are great cars
By toyotadude

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it at 32,000 miles in 0'4 and I have done nothing to it except change oil, and brakes. The only thing I don't like about it is it can get noisy on the highway, and just a little vibration comes on the highway only if you go above 80mph or something. Transmission in this car should get an award in comfort for shifting. Much better than Nissan or Hondas.

Favorite Features

Gas, manuvering, easy to drive, automatic headlights

Suggested Improvements

Put the cup holders in the console, not the dash. Move the key contact. Have 4-speed auto transmission standard. Increase room for people in the back.