2002 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Very Nice Practical Car.
By Moe on 03/28/09 23:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First of all, don't expect this car to be a Ferrari. I bought my Prizm in 2004 with 32000 miles on it, and it has served me well since then as it has 77k on it. The engine was PLENTY of power to get you merging onto that highway or to pass the annoying driver in the city or highway. As for the transmission I do have the 3-speed auto and I would have liked to have the 4-speed auto or 5-speed manual, considering the 3-speed is quite noisy on the highway, but that not too much of a problem for me, as I turn up the music a little bit. Additionally the 4-speed does a little better in gas. I'm averaging 27mpg city and 32mpg highway (interstate 72mph) and 36mpg U.S highway (60mph).

Great and Reliable Car
By von on 12/26/08 19:21 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car used in the summer of 2007. I never had any problems with it. This is my first car and only car. I was surprised to find out they don't make this car anymore. It is good on gas and reliable. It is also good for a small family.

The Maytag of cars
By morin2 on 08/16/08 12:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car slightly less than 3 years old with 25K miles on odom, a local car traded at a new car dealer. Now have 83K miles on it. The car is my commuter & driven 107 miles/day. Utterly reliable appliance but somewhat bland and boring. Have only done routine maintenance - replaced the awful original Firestones with Bridgestone Insigna and done the easy oil changes, coolant flushes & trans flush. Use Toyota filters & red coolant. This car will be soon passed down to my daughter & will be her first car - good for a new driver, slow, safe, and all controls very easy. I get about 31-36 mpg.

Love my Prizm!
By Przmlvr on 04/17/08 18:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This Chevy Prizm was my first car. I'm just 16 but the quality of the car is amazing. The car is mainly quiet when driving and is easy to maintain. I bought the car when it had 50,000 miles and have had virtually no problems. The Prizm has cruise, power everything, automatic lights, with a 3 speed automatic. The car handles the turns well and has just enough power to travel the hills and highways. Overall a good car.

These are great cars
By toyotadude on 01/22/07 18:08 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it at 32,000 miles in 0'4 and I have done nothing to it except change oil, and brakes. The only thing I don't like about it is it can get noisy on the highway, and just a little vibration comes on the highway only if you go above 80mph or something. Transmission in this car should get an award in comfort for shifting. Much better than Nissan or Hondas.

One of the best cars I've ever owned
By TexasGal on 01/06/07 20:47 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because it was a Consumers Digest Best Buy and because of the MPG rating. I wasn't disppointed. Extremely reliable, the MPG is great, I've had no mechanical problems, and at 84,000 miles, I've never needed an alignment! I would buy another one if Chevy was still making them. I guess that's why GM can't make money.

'02 Prizm
By AngelaJane on 05/08/06 21:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have not had a very good experience with this car. I bought it as a certified used vehicle with a little over 36,000 miles. The transmission went out a couple months after I bought it. Several minor interior things have come apart. The filler pipe on the gas tank came unwelded and fell partially into the tube, so I was not able to fuel the car until that was removed. This week the running lights and auto- on headlights quit working, but could still be turned on manually,a few days later, they stayed on, requiring disconnecting the battery to turn off. The switch failed and it's located under the pas. air bag requiring the entire dash to be removed. I would not buy another or reccomend!

Good For Average Driver
By dude on 03/07/06 16:40 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This may be a problem with just my '02 Prizm, but when traveling at speeds above 65 mph the steering wheel begins to have an annoying vibration. I've tried several things to fix it, but it stays there, but other than that its great. It gets around 31 mpg on the highway, and is perfect for begining drivers. I would recomend it to anyone, but make sure you test it good first before you buy it.

Pragmatic Peppy Car
By WNY Driver on 02/08/06 17:53 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is the 2nd 5-speed Prizm I have owned - the other I bought new in 1998 that my 6'4" son drives now (tight fit) & has 125K miles. Ownership experience great for both. 32- 38 mpg depending on conditions. With high gas prices have taken on longer trips recently (10+ hours). The Prizm is designed for commuting around town but the seats are bearable for longer distances by buying a memory foam car seat on eBay for ~$30. 5-speed is the way to go - great stick and it provides the flexibility to delay shift if more accel. needed. Leased 2002s are on the retail market now but most are auto. Great cars!

A first year release?
By GoldSilver on 10/08/05 01:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Needed a car, couldn't pass up the $5k rebates for the last model year. Ordered silver, surprised me with red (changes colors in different light) :) Overall it's been a dependable fuel efficient car. Great hwy car and efficiency. Invokes little passion but does it's job well. Oil changes and maintenance are a snap - 1st winter - engine hammered at startup- found out local chain was putting in 10w-30, now I chnge it and use 5w-30, makes a big diff! Powertrain still feels bulletproof, but trim (interior door panels, carpet, paint) seem decontented compared to past 2 Prizms - hopefully Toyota has reversed this - feels like a 1st yr release because of it - no real problems to report at 40k.