2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Big disappointment
By afp377 on 03/12/14 21:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Luckily I only paid $1350 for this thing. It had 107K miles when I got it and have noticed it to be burning a lot of oil. After further research it seems they burn oil after 100k miles. I guess that's why the previous owner got rid of it. I had Toyotas in the passed and though they were bullet proof. I guess I was wrong. I don't really know if I will junk this thing or tear into the engine and put a new set of ring in it. I am thinking I will keep it until next year when my sticker is due and then torch it and buy something else.

Oil Eating Monster
By josiewhales on 03/28/13 09:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Believe that comment about using a qt. of oil every 100 miles, it's true @ 120+ K mi. And with that, the mpg is only 20 mpg avg. May be OK for low mileage but Prizm engine is not long lasting .I put new seals and rings in, still burns oil and bad mpg. Can't see smoke unless you hold throttle 3/4 down for 6-10 seconds. ( This is a must before buying ! ) Do not buy with over 100 K. It may look like a Corolla, but engine doesn't last like one. I got robbed. Wouldn't recommend Prizm.

Good Car Until it Burns Oil Like Crazy
By greatambitions on 11/28/11 23:17 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Let me start by saying this car has been reliable for most of its life. I bought it at 77,000 miles, and its still running at 191,000+. It is by no means a flashy vehicle, but when the engine ran at peak efficiency, it got close to 40 MPG and ran smoothly. But, at about the 130,000 mark, it started burning oil (1 quart every 1,000 miles or so). 60,000 miles later, it burns through about 1 quart every 50 miles. Further research via Google has shown that this is a common problem for the 2002 Prizms, and is related to narrow cylinders and bad seals. Keep this in mind if buying a Prizm from this final year of production. You'll be investing in lots of oil when it reaches a high mileage point.

The fixes
By Dr. Futility on 10/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car is best suited for a couple or parents with small kids. The front seats must be at their back position which leaves no leg room behind.

5 years and running like a champ!
By LinRichards on 09/06/10 14:52 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used with 64,000 miles on it five years ago. I LOVE THIS CAR. So reliable, I have not had to do any major repairs on it. I have of course changed tires, batteries, flushed the transmission. But there have been no other real problems. When I drive on the interstate or above 70 mph, it does eat a lot of oil. Im thinking it might have an internal oil leak. I need to get it looked at. But the miles per gallon is incredible and I absolutely love this tiny little car. I like that it has nothing automatic on it, thats how you can keep the cost down. BUY IT PEEPS!

Worst car ever made
By Lash on 08/06/10 12:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used for about $3,000 with 120k miles on it. 2 weeks after I bought it the brake calipers went out, then out of nowhere the car wouldn't start. I checked the starter and it was bad so after I replaced that it still wouldn't start. I rewired the ground and hot wire from the battery to the starter and still nothing. I replaced the starter relay and finally the ignition switch and it started again. Now not even a month later and I threw a rod in the motor. I have had 2 oil changed in the 4 months Ive owned it because I drive out of town to visit my mother often. It's gonna cost over $1500 to replace the motor so I'm just junking it and buying something else.

Bring back the Prizm
By Julie on 07/13/10 13:23 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We have been more than happy with our 2002 Prizm. Still gets 32+ mpg. Even in winter here in Minnesota! We are religious about giving it oil changes every 3000 miles. It has had 2 major maintenance checks with no major fixes. We live on a long gravel road which is also hard on vehicles, but this car seems to handle it fine. We hope we can get another 100,000+ miles from it so our teen daughter can inherit it from us in 3 years.

Corrolla
By thomas64p1 on 08/30/09 16:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used from a dealer below KBB value. After 1 month of ownership the car runs great with occasional smoking from the exhaust possibly due to need for tune up. Only problem so far is an annoying rubbing of the a/c clutch that may be covered under the 3 month warranty. I've owned two Toyota Tercels which were excellent vehicles, a '96 that needed no repairs and a '95 that needed a started, water pump, and rear axle due to being reconstructed.

Very Nice Practical Car.
By Moe on 03/28/09 23:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

First of all, don't expect this car to be a Ferrari. I bought my Prizm in 2004 with 32000 miles on it, and it has served me well since then as it has 77k on it. The engine was PLENTY of power to get you merging onto that highway or to pass the annoying driver in the city or highway. As for the transmission I do have the 3-speed auto and I would have liked to have the 4-speed auto or 5-speed manual, considering the 3-speed is quite noisy on the highway, but that not too much of a problem for me, as I turn up the music a little bit. Additionally the 4-speed does a little better in gas. I'm averaging 27mpg city and 32mpg highway (interstate 72mph) and 36mpg U.S highway (60mph).

Great and Reliable Car
By von on 12/26/08 19:21 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car used in the summer of 2007. I never had any problems with it. This is my first car and only car. I was surprised to find out they don't make this car anymore. It is good on gas and reliable. It is also good for a small family.