Used 2002 Chevrolet Prizm LSi Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

My 02 Prizm LSi
By Ralph0722

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used last month. Very good shape for year/miles. Very economical to run and keep. Plenty of Toyota parts available. I get about 32 mpg mostly. AC is strong. Stereo is pretty decent. Cover all basic necessities like power windows, locks, mirrors, cruise. Alloy wheels. Sharp little car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy. Toyota reliability. Parts are avail everywhere. Comfy seats. AC is strong. Stereo CD. Alloys.

Suggested Improvements

Lack of storage. Armrest is low to the floor. Car was designed for small people or women. I'm 5'11" 220 lb male i find it a bit tight. Cup holder blocks radio. Interior plastic, door handles and weatherstrips are cheap, flimsy and brittle. Noisy engine.

My 02 Prizm LSi
By Ralph0722

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used last month. I must say im very happy with this small zippy car. 1.8L VVTi is noisy but runs economical. 4AT shifts smoothly. Interior room is tight, back seat has no leg room back there. I consider this a 2 people car or a college student car (i am one). Trunk size is ok for class. Design is clean and simple, very Toyota like. Since this car is the same as a Corolla parts are available everywhere.

Favorite Features

Runs economical, parts are mostly cheap and available everywhere. Good AC and good Delco radio. Seats are comfy. PW,PL,Mirrors,Cruise,alloy wheels,has all basic necessities covered. Is a basic car but in a good way.

Suggested Improvements

Quality of interior. Weatherstrips are peeling and cracking. Door handles are flimsy and they break easily (common Toyota problem) Engine very loud and vibrates a lot. Cramped back seat. Cup holders are so 1990's they block the radio.

The Maytag of cars
By morin2

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car slightly less than 3 years old with 25K miles on odom, a local car traded at a new car dealer. Now have 83K miles on it. The car is my commuter & driven 107 miles/day. Utterly reliable appliance but somewhat bland and boring. Have only done routine maintenance - replaced the awful original Firestones with Bridgestone Insigna and done the easy oil changes, coolant flushes & trans flush. Use Toyota filters & red coolant. This car will be soon passed down to my daughter & will be her first car - good for a new driver, slow, safe, and all controls very easy. I get about 31-36 mpg.

Favorite Features

Good size trunk. Decent roof - flat & long enough for Yakima or Thule rack & bars. I carry a 17' kayak on this car with no trouble (actually have carried 2). LSI has fold-down rear seats for more storage.

Suggested Improvements

Mine has the 3-speed auto trans, fine technology for 1968, but this is ridiculous. The 4-speed auto should have been the only auto trans offered. I knew this when I bought it, but the price made it OK. Loud at highway speeds as the engine revs in 3rd gear.

I love my Prizm!
By ninachi

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a used 2002 Prizm (with 19000 miles on it at the time) in 2003. I have never had a single problem during my cross country drives, long work commutes or short errand drives. It starts up perfectly and held up remarkable well when I slid on some ice and nailed a parked car at about 30 mph. It had only a crack in the fron bumper. Reliable is what I was looking for and that is just what I got. I am very happy with my car and see no reason to get anything else.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

None

I Love my Prizm
By lmpress

2002 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought my Prizm at CarMax. Had 24K on it - was a previous lease. I was going to buy a Cavalier, but someone suggested the Prizm. I knew it was a Corolla in disguise. Has cruise control (bonus!), CD player, power windows/locks. Great gas mileage, especially with today's prices. I'm not into fancy cars so this was perfect. Wish I had looked at these when I bought the Ford Focus in 2000 (which has already bitten the dust!)

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, power locks, day-running lights and automatic dashboard lights.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder in awkward place. Also, the tag listing the tire pressure in glove compartment instead of on the door like other cars.