Used 2002 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Big disappointment
By afp377

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Luckily I only paid $1350 for this thing. It had 107K miles when I got it and have noticed it to be burning a lot of oil. After further research it seems they burn oil after 100k miles. I guess that's why the previous owner got rid of it. I had Toyotas in the passed and though they were bullet proof. I guess I was wrong. I don't really know if I will junk this thing or tear into the engine and put a new set of ring in it. I am thinking I will keep it until next year when my sticker is due and then torch it and buy something else.

It is a cheap simple car which is why I wanted it.

A gas can and a match.

Oil Eating Monster
By josiewhales

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Believe that comment about using a qt. of oil every 100 miles, it's true @ 120+ K mi. And with that, the mpg is only 20 mpg avg. May be OK for low mileage but Prizm engine is not long lasting .I put new seals and rings in, still burns oil and bad mpg. Can't see smoke unless you hold throttle 3/4 down for 6-10 seconds. ( This is a must before buying ! ) Do not buy with over 100 K. It may look like a Corolla, but engine doesn't last like one. I got robbed. Wouldn't recommend Prizm.

None.

Longer lasting engine that won't eat oil and gas.

Good Car Until it Burns Oil Like Crazy
By greatambitions

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Let me start by saying this car has been reliable for most of its life. I bought it at 77,000 miles, and its still running at 191,000+. It is by no means a flashy vehicle, but when the engine ran at peak efficiency, it got close to 40 MPG and ran smoothly. But, at about the 130,000 mark, it started burning oil (1 quart every 1,000 miles or so). 60,000 miles later, it burns through about 1 quart every 50 miles. Further research via Google has shown that this is a common problem for the 2002 Prizms, and is related to narrow cylinders and bad seals. Keep this in mind if buying a Prizm from this final year of production. You'll be investing in lots of oil when it reaches a high mileage point.

- Fuel efficient (when it was oil efficient) - Good handling - Good suspension - Handled Michigan and Ohio winters like a champ - Made several cross country trips without any issues

- Oil burning issue is a deal killer - Emissions Solenoid issue cropped up at about 100,000 miles - Air Conditioning went out at about 120,000 (more than a recharge, this fix was about $500.00)

The fixes
By Dr. Futility

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

The car is best suited for a couple or parents with small kids. The front seats must be at their back position which leaves no leg room behind.

The car is small and easy to park. After each tune up it runs smoothly.

Remove the standard air filter in the black rectangular plastic box under the hood. Use the outline of its rubber base to cut out a new filter from washable air conditioning filter material. Gas up with 93 octane. The tires can be one dimension wider, from 165 to 175 I think it is, for better grip.

5 years and running like a champ!
By LinRichards

2002 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car used with 64,000 miles on it five years ago. I LOVE THIS CAR. So reliable, I have not had to do any major repairs on it. I have of course changed tires, batteries, flushed the transmission. But there have been no other real problems. When I drive on the interstate or above 70 mph, it does eat a lot of oil. Im thinking it might have an internal oil leak. I need to get it looked at. But the miles per gallon is incredible and I absolutely love this tiny little car. I like that it has nothing automatic on it, thats how you can keep the cost down. BUY IT PEEPS!

Gas mileage, reliability, strong build

um, make it faster i guess? put some oomph into it!