Used 2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Good city car, some disappointments
By MTodd

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a '97 Prizm that I really like, so I bought an '01 Prizm for my wife. Personally, I think they started to cheap out the newer models. My '97 with 112,000 miles on it feels, looks and drives better than my wife's 01 (with 62,000 miles), not to mention being more reliable. Since I got the '01, I've had to put in new MAF and O2 sensors and had vibration issues with the tires. Now the charcoal canister has gone out for another $385. I've been very disappointed after my great experience with the '97. In all fairness to GM/Toyota, it seems like the previous owner really beat up on the car, which may explain some of the repair issues.

Great fuel economy - averages 33-34 mpg in all city driving. Has a smooth ride, although the steering is a bit numb. All the repair issues have been relatively minor- i.e. the car still starts up and drives each day. Feels pretty roomy for a small car.

The 3 speed auto was a terrible idea. It's fine in the city, but the engine really strains at highway speeds. Steering/handling is numb and not so responsive. Simplify the emissions system, or find a way to keep the components from going bad so quickly.

Great Little Sedan
By Kaysea

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great family car, with enough room for Mom, Dad, and a couple of kids. Came with front dual airbags and there are rear seatbelts with shoulder straps and a special hook-up for an infant carseat. Makes me feel pretty safe. There is plenty of leg room for the average person and a good size trunk for lots of stuff. I find that the car handles very well and is fun to drive on the highway. It has real good pick-up. I like this car and friends that have driven my car have loved it too!!

I think I get very good gas milage. I'm not good with numbers but....when the tank is on "E" it takes about 11 gals to fill it. I reset the mile counter and go 400 miles befor it hits "E" again. At almost $3 a gal here, I figure $30 for 400 miles ain't bad.

Prizm is a Great Value
By Virgoman0

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Prizm in Nov of 2001. I really have enjoyed this car a lot. It has given me excellent fuel economy and the handling has been very good. I have had no mechanical problems of any kind. As far a dependable transportation goes this car is it. Period!!

CD system, great stereo.

A little more leg room for the driver

Great Deal
By kansasdriver

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We have had no trouble with this car. It was a one-owner lease, bought by the dealer for sale. The price was quite competitive. We are very pleased with all aspects of the car.

Reliability, gas mileage, performance

Look for one with standard ABS and side airbags for safety, and fold-down rear seats for more trunk capacity.

Good Car
By oceansunset79

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for only $2,600 at a reputable local dealership. It's not new, the check engine light is on, but it runs/drives good. However, it seems to be getting poor gas mileage, and I still have to figure out why (has gone through almost 1/2 a tank of gas while only having gone 130 miles). I do mostly highway driving so this was quite surprising as I was expecting the rated 30 MPG city/40 MPG hwy as it has the 4-speed auto. I was impressed with the near-perfect reliability rating from consumer reports for this year/model. The only problem I've had besides fuel economy is that when the A/C is running the engine sometimes idles erratically, not sure why.

Even with 215,000 miles ALL of the options- power windows, power locks, factory CD/speakers, cruise, A/C, Int. Wipers, Keyless Entry all work great.

Gauges not lighted adequately for night driving (maybe a few dash lights burned out?), 4-speed auto tranny shifts fairly rough, may be due to the high miles (tranny fluid is perfect color/smell though). Not able to find the spark plugs/wires/PCV Valve/fuel filter- not an easy car to work on.