2001 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Good Value
By Jenifer on 07/17/08 11:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Prism in 2006. It is very reliable. I am the 3rd owner. I bought the car with only 11,900 miles. Now I have 25K (2008). So far, replaced the battery, motor in the power window (drivers side), front brakes & recently all 4 tires (which were org). Considering the vechicle is 7 years old, so far so good. I bought the Prism since it's the Toyota Corolla. I intend to keep my Prism for many years to come.

My Chevota AT, 1.8
By Mikep1524 on 07/07/08 22:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car a few months ago. I deliver pizzas in it right now, have had no probs so far with almost putting 10k miles on it. It has 146k miles on it. I think it could be a little more peppy, but am happy with it as it is. Changed plugs 2 days ago, kinda hesitates a bit now, i think it needs time to adjust itself.

My Prizm
By Beth on 06/24/08 05:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for seven years and only have had to replace one sensor and that was last week. I have kept up the maintenance regularly and just replaced the front brake pads last month. I drive it almost only in town and have 46K miles on it. Overall, it has been a good reliable car.

Nice family car
By Anita on 05/31/08 06:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Haven't had any real problems. I have had my car for three years and the only thing I have had to do is oil changes and get new tires. Although my check engine light is on (not sure why) I bought my car with only 36,000miles on it and am just getting ready to do a tune up on it. Reliable car.

Reliable and Practical
By E. Sears on 02/23/08 06:42 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I did lots of research before I bought this car, and it paid off. As many probably know, it's basically a Corolla with a Chevy emblem slapped on it -it has the same great reliability as a Toyota but is significantly cheaper. I own the 5-spd manual, which accelerates reasonably well and gets good gas mileage. There have been no problems with this vehicle. All I've had to do was regular maintenance. This is a basic economy car, so if you're looking for excitement and luxury, look elsewhere. That said, it is a reasonably comfortable ride, but the back is lacking leg space. I would highly recommend getting the manual transmission if you want improved gas mileage and quicker acceleration.

Great car
By HC on 02/14/08 18:08 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2001 Prizm for almost four months and all I can say is it has been a great car so far. I drive it every day, 20 miles to school, about the same to work, 7 days a week and it has been very reliable. The fuel economy is the best. I also love the 5 speed manual transmission in mine. It maneuvers nicely and is just the right size for a single college student girl IMO. I recently totaled my Prizm, but bought it back because I love it. I have to say that the quality of the manufacturing is excellent. My prizm was rammed into the side by a mini van and the only damage was cosmetic. Neither frame nor engine were affected at all. The car keeps on ticking! Great car IMO!

A great bet
By Luke on 01/08/08 12:21 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Although not the most stylish or fast, this is truly a reliable car. First one that I bought and owned, I haven't had a major problem after 60,000 miles of driving. The only problems were a burnt out light bulb in the dash, and a little leaking brake fluid now that my brakes are getting to the point of needing replacement. It handles fairly well in the snow with the cooper tires on it. The side air bags give it a good safety rating, and the overdrive on the Lsi means great gas mileage. I know there's a Chevy emblem on the front but there's "Toyota Corolla" printed on the gas cap ;) It's just a good, solid car.

Bad Luck
By aria49 on 07/19/07 08:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had the worst luck with this car. Three months after I bought it, it began to stall out when I would start it after not driving it for awhile. (The mass airflow sensor was faulty.) On a road trip my timing belt snapped resulting in needing to totally replace the engine. The most recent thing to go wrong with this car is that the hood latch was faulty resulting in my hood being bent beyond a cheap repair. (Had to replace the hood, both quarter panels, paint them and finally replace the hood latch.) Everything that has gone wrong with this car was an expensive fix. The other issue I have with this car is it gets less than 30 mpg highway.

Not as good as they used to be
By mtimmer on 06/15/07 18:03 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I have a '97 Prizm that I have really liked and been impressed with. While most aspects of the '01 model are better, the reliability has decreased in my opinion. I've had multiple problems with it within the first 6 months of ownership- most of them fairly minor, but a couple fairly expensive. The dealer replaced several sensors under warranty, but several other things have gone wrong since the warranty expired. Most alarmingly, the engine seems to be burning a lot of oil (about 1 quart every 1000 miles), especially considering that it only has 63,000 miles on it. If only was as reliable as my bullet-proof '97 Prizm.

Good city car, some disappointments
By MTodd on 05/05/07 15:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have a '97 Prizm that I really like, so I bought an '01 Prizm for my wife. Personally, I think they started to cheap out the newer models. My '97 with 112,000 miles on it feels, looks and drives better than my wife's 01 (with 62,000 miles), not to mention being more reliable. Since I got the '01, I've had to put in new MAF and O2 sensors and had vibration issues with the tires. Now the charcoal canister has gone out for another $385. I've been very disappointed after my great experience with the '97. In all fairness to GM/Toyota, it seems like the previous owner really beat up on the car, which may explain some of the repair issues.