2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
My 2001 Prizm experience
By howie12021 on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a good car with a variety of small faults: 1-upholstery gets holes from cigarette ash too easily. 2-headliner becoming unglued front/back windows. 3-rear cup holder flimsy. 4-dash light between tach/speedometer out very expensive dashboard dis-assembly to replace. 5-all dash lighting is terrible*too faint/hard to read. 6-center storage box*awkward to use. 7-window mechanism: driver's replaced* passenger's sticks [slam door]to un-stick?! 8-interior plastic strip above left rear door slowly shredding pieces. 9-Dashboard arrangement is poor, e.g., have to look to operate radio selections. 10-rear wiper a +. 11-bumper paint if 'touched' flakes off to reveal black undercoat.

Great vehicle all around!!!
By Ralph on 02/18/10 00:18 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Well its my second one the first Prizm I owned I bought in 97 with 102K miles I finally passed it on to my kid brother in 03 with 230k miles and its still driving today. My 01 Prizm has 255k miles on it and still runs like new, these cars are amazing they don't look like much but they are great. The thing I love the most is with $20 bucks of gas you can run around town all week. They have great power and acceleration,no timing belt, however oil is very important to these cars!

Not so good.
By jc0187 on 12/06/09 20:38 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, bought this car from my father. I have replaced the O2 sensors. The cadalitic converter is going out, and the a/c no longer works. The back passenger window does not work. I do not like the interior-very uncomfortable.

Prizm Cuts Through Clutter
By Andrew on 02/25/09 13:24 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a wonderful automobile because I get 42 mpg highway and a little city combined. The seats are a little uncomfortable, but my car has 113000 miles on it and it drives like a brand new car. Would deff recommend to a friend! I guess you could say i'm one of "the 9/10 ppl who would recommend Prizm to a friend". Prizm definitely "cuts through the clutter". In the mid 1990s I was "getting to know Geo" through the Geo Storm. Well, the Geo, or excuse me Chevrolet Prizm has my vote as one of the top cars of 2001. I hope I never smash my car. I am obsessed with Prizm. Prizm is good. I will buy a first generation Prizm (92 and older) second generation (93-97) Prizm also with my 01 Prizm

My Chevota AT, 1.8
By Mikep1524 on 07/07/08 22:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car a few months ago. I deliver pizzas in it right now, have had no probs so far with almost putting 10k miles on it. It has 146k miles on it. I think it could be a little more peppy, but am happy with it as it is. Changed plugs 2 days ago, kinda hesitates a bit now, i think it needs time to adjust itself.

A great bet
By Luke on 01/08/08 12:21 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Although not the most stylish or fast, this is truly a reliable car. First one that I bought and owned, I haven't had a major problem after 60,000 miles of driving. The only problems were a burnt out light bulb in the dash, and a little leaking brake fluid now that my brakes are getting to the point of needing replacement. It handles fairly well in the snow with the cooper tires on it. The side air bags give it a good safety rating, and the overdrive on the Lsi means great gas mileage. I know there's a Chevy emblem on the front but there's "Toyota Corolla" printed on the gas cap ;) It's just a good, solid car.

Good Car
By oceansunset79 on 08/08/05 15:35 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car for only $2,600 at a reputable local dealership. It's not new, the check engine light is on, but it runs/drives good. However, it seems to be getting poor gas mileage, and I still have to figure out why (has gone through almost 1/2 a tank of gas while only having gone 130 miles). I do mostly highway driving so this was quite surprising as I was expecting the rated 30 MPG city/40 MPG hwy as it has the 4-speed auto. I was impressed with the near-perfect reliability rating from consumer reports for this year/model. The only problem I've had besides fuel economy is that when the A/C is running the engine sometimes idles erratically, not sure why.

Not the sportiest car on the block...
By crowing on 02/01/05 03:25 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

...but it's definitely not a bad bargain. I was looking for a used car that would be reliable but still within my budget and I found this at an auction for cheap. With the Prizm line now discontinued, I'll bet auto dealers are eager to get rid of them. If you get the LSi type you'll get cruise, power windows, and CD with a better than expected set of speakers, and it's still about $3000 less than a comparable Corolla. It won't have the same resale value, but that's the trade off. I'm about 5'11 and have no problems with the front seating, but leg-room in back is non-existant. Really wish it had more power. Perfect for those who want a small sedan but can live without something flashy.

Perky, peppy, but small vehicle.
By Statue01 on 05/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is a good little car especially around town. Great gas mileage combined (30+). People are squeezed into the back seat. The head and leg room for driver is adequite even with moonroof. Trunk is good for groceries but not much else.

reliable little car
By cmpokey on 05/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Car was real good around town until I went on 1300 mile trip. It is too small for trips and wind was trying to toss it into the ditch. It had little pickup on mountain roads. Good for around town. Needs armrest and better cupholder position. I have had alignment issues too.