Used 2001 Chevrolet Prizm Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

Base Sedan (1.8L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Wouldn't Encourage Anyone to buy this car
By hockeyplr12 on 04/08/15 16:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used about a year ago, and its been nothing but a headache. I got the car at 141k miles and the ac compressor was shot, fuel pump was shot, struts are bad already, 3 broken door handles already (even if your gentle they're very weak. The worst part is this car burns oil like no tomorrow. The motor has a weak start, i can rely on it to start, but im not sure how far it just might go.. the only really positive thing i can say is that its decent on gas, but its a very tiny car. Im 6 foot and i hate getting in and out of it, it feels like your pressed against the steering wheel. I wouldnt get this car unless your 4 foot 2 and like to put more in oil then you do in gas.SeriouslY

Need more pep? Clean MAF sensor
By fornido on 06/19/10 09:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a great reliable car, however I noticed some hesitation and loss of hp, so I did some research, and after replacing the air filter and cleaning the Mass Airflow sensor with electronic cleaner, I noticed an increase of pickup. I have 122,000 miles on it, so I guess after all that buildup, it slowed it down.

My little car
By rachel on 05/06/10 20:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my prizm in 06 when it was 5 years old. It runs like a champ! The only time it's in the shop is for an oil change or new tires. The only parts giving out are minor and probably due to age. The plastic trim around the windows has become brittle, the door handles on the drivers side have both snapped, cruise control has stopped working and the drivers side window motors have worn out. Low and medium air conditioner are out, but it still cranks cold on high and the heater works great. I've been teasing with the idea of a new car because of the great deals available, but my little car is still driving great and I'm not ready to give it up! I think I'll invest in it instead!

Mom's Car
By JO on 06/12/09 14:15 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Prizm in 2002 with 33,000 on it. Engine light came on once while under warranty. Regular maintenance. Other than some new tires and a couple of brake jobs, no great expense (knock on wood). I drive 22 round trip to work and have driven to DC and back to MA twice a year for past four years. Handles great on the highway and off. Great car.

weak econobox
By Bob on 03/28/09 10:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Base model with a few options. Looking for Totota reliability, but used car dealer can't seem to fix horn/cruise control issue (they don't work, and need a new relay). Low seating. Checked oil after 1 month, 3.5 quarts low! Yikes, that doesn't leave much. After filling oil, a month later it needs 1.5 quarts. Another reviewer noted his mother ran her Prizm 3 times with no oil; maybe because it burns. Someone else said it burns oil at highway speed. Could be. I don't see any drips in the garage. 3- speed auto stinks on the highway, car really doesn't like going over 60. Engine is making lifter noises. If engine holds up, this will be good around-town econobox for my HS kid.

Very good car
By WP on 02/14/09 14:48 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 9 years and it is a very reliable commuter car. Does what I need it to do and does it when I need it to do it. Good car. Excellent reliability.

A very good little car
By Patrick on 12/23/08 18:00 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this for $3000 over the summer to replace a Cavalier. Mileage is great, performance is pretty good considering it only has 125 hp. Put some decent tires on it and cornering is really fun. Stereo is not too shabby either. Only drawbacks that I have encountered are fading paint, the interior plastic around the door frame is peeling (that most have come from the GM part of the joint project), and no center armrest. Besides that you can't beat it. Like everyone else has already said, it's just a Toyota with a Chevy emblem on it. A very easy way to save $2000 vs a Corolla, and even more on gas. This thing is bulletproof with proper maintenance. The perfect city car!

Good Value
By Jenifer on 07/17/08 11:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Prism in 2006. It is very reliable. I am the 3rd owner. I bought the car with only 11,900 miles. Now I have 25K (2008). So far, replaced the battery, motor in the power window (drivers side), front brakes & recently all 4 tires (which were org). Considering the vechicle is 7 years old, so far so good. I bought the Prism since it's the Toyota Corolla. I intend to keep my Prism for many years to come.

My Prizm
By Beth on 06/24/08 05:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car for seven years and only have had to replace one sensor and that was last week. I have kept up the maintenance regularly and just replaced the front brake pads last month. I drive it almost only in town and have 46K miles on it. Overall, it has been a good reliable car.

Nice family car
By Anita on 05/31/08 06:04 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Haven't had any real problems. I have had my car for three years and the only thing I have had to do is oil changes and get new tires. Although my check engine light is on (not sure why) I bought my car with only 36,000miles on it and am just getting ready to do a tune up on it. Reliable car.