Used 2001 Chevrolet Prizm Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Prizm

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Wouldn't Encourage Anyone to buy this car
By hockeyplr12

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used about a year ago, and its been nothing but a headache. I got the car at 141k miles and the ac compressor was shot, fuel pump was shot, struts are bad already, 3 broken door handles already (even if your gentle they're very weak. The worst part is this car burns oil like no tomorrow. The motor has a weak start, i can rely on it to start, but im not sure how far it just might go.. the only really positive thing i can say is that its decent on gas, but its a very tiny car. Im 6 foot and i hate getting in and out of it, it feels like your pressed against the steering wheel. I wouldnt get this car unless your 4 foot 2 and like to put more in oil then you do in gas.SeriouslY

Favorite Features

The Stock stereo sounded pretty good believe it or not, but it had to be replaced with a system to make it better.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better door handles, if you have friends you want to take somewhere, i suggest either stack them in the front seat, or tell them to simply just walk. Unless they're in a car seat i dont see anyone fitting back there, and im being honest my friends all complain about theres no room, and if i move my seat up i cant drive because the seat doesnt go far back at all, and my foot gets stuck sometimes by the gas pedal. In all seriousness, if your atleast 5'8 i wouldnt get this car, if your looking for something a little more reliable get a newer model, 98-02 have the crappy motors that are notorious for eating oil. if anything get a 03 corolla and up if you like this car

Need more pep? Clean MAF sensor
By fornido

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a great reliable car, however I noticed some hesitation and loss of hp, so I did some research, and after replacing the air filter and cleaning the Mass Airflow sensor with electronic cleaner, I noticed an increase of pickup. I have 122,000 miles on it, so I guess after all that buildup, it slowed it down.

My little car
By rachel

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my prizm in 06 when it was 5 years old. It runs like a champ! The only time it's in the shop is for an oil change or new tires. The only parts giving out are minor and probably due to age. The plastic trim around the windows has become brittle, the door handles on the drivers side have both snapped, cruise control has stopped working and the drivers side window motors have worn out. Low and medium air conditioner are out, but it still cranks cold on high and the heater works great. I've been teasing with the idea of a new car because of the great deals available, but my little car is still driving great and I'm not ready to give it up! I think I'll invest in it instead!

Favorite Features

I like the body style, it still doesn't look old. Mine's dark green and the paint is still awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Needs better hardware (like door handles).

Mom's Car
By JO

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Prizm in 2002 with 33,000 on it. Engine light came on once while under warranty. Regular maintenance. Other than some new tires and a couple of brake jobs, no great expense (knock on wood). I drive 22 round trip to work and have driven to DC and back to MA twice a year for past four years. Handles great on the highway and off. Great car.

Favorite Features

Trunk big enough to haul a college student's stuff. Comfortable. Love map lights on rearview mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Need more leg room in back seat.

weak econobox
By Bob

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Base model with a few options. Looking for Totota reliability, but used car dealer can't seem to fix horn/cruise control issue (they don't work, and need a new relay). Low seating. Checked oil after 1 month, 3.5 quarts low! Yikes, that doesn't leave much. After filling oil, a month later it needs 1.5 quarts. Another reviewer noted his mother ran her Prizm 3 times with no oil; maybe because it burns. Someone else said it burns oil at highway speed. Could be. I don't see any drips in the garage. 3- speed auto stinks on the highway, car really doesn't like going over 60. Engine is making lifter noises. If engine holds up, this will be good around-town econobox for my HS kid.

Favorite Features

Small, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

3-speed auto is bad idea.