Used 2001 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Wouldn't Encourage Anyone to buy this car
By hockeyplr12

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used about a year ago, and its been nothing but a headache. I got the car at 141k miles and the ac compressor was shot, fuel pump was shot, struts are bad already, 3 broken door handles already (even if your gentle they're very weak. The worst part is this car burns oil like no tomorrow. The motor has a weak start, i can rely on it to start, but im not sure how far it just might go.. the only really positive thing i can say is that its decent on gas, but its a very tiny car. Im 6 foot and i hate getting in and out of it, it feels like your pressed against the steering wheel. I wouldnt get this car unless your 4 foot 2 and like to put more in oil then you do in gas.SeriouslY

Favorite Features

The Stock stereo sounded pretty good believe it or not, but it had to be replaced with a system to make it better.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better door handles, if you have friends you want to take somewhere, i suggest either stack them in the front seat, or tell them to simply just walk. Unless they're in a car seat i dont see anyone fitting back there, and im being honest my friends all complain about theres no room, and if i move my seat up i cant drive because the seat doesnt go far back at all, and my foot gets stuck sometimes by the gas pedal. In all seriousness, if your atleast 5'8 i wouldnt get this car, if your looking for something a little more reliable get a newer model, 98-02 have the crappy motors that are notorious for eating oil. if anything get a 03 corolla and up if you like this car

My 2001 Prizm experience
By howie12021

2001 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a good car with a variety of small faults: 1-upholstery gets holes from cigarette ash too easily. 2-headliner becoming unglued front/back windows. 3-rear cup holder flimsy. 4-dash light between tach/speedometer out very expensive dashboard dis-assembly to replace. 5-all dash lighting is terrible*too faint/hard to read. 6-center storage box*awkward to use. 7-window mechanism: driver's replaced* passenger's sticks [slam door]to un-stick?! 8-interior plastic strip above left rear door slowly shredding pieces. 9-Dashboard arrangement is poor, e.g., have to look to operate radio selections. 10-rear wiper a +. 11-bumper paint if 'touched' flakes off to reveal black undercoat.

Favorite Features

Reliable + economical + nice body design. UNFEATURES: 1-costly A/C repair @ 65,000!* not repairable, must replace! 2-car noisy. 3-driver's seat poor comfort/bad seating angle. 4-dome light works/doesn't dealer could not fix! Wheels collect dirt/hard to clean*smooth surfaces better.

Suggested Improvements

NOTE ABOVE COMMENTS FROM A DESIGN ENGINEER. also: ash tray/lighter*take eyes off road to use. A/C unit works well. Bought used with 35,000 K miles. Plastics/interior not as good as mechanical. Solid construction* better than Aveo [a poor] car. Paint peel after 9 years in sun. heavy hood*use Au?

Need more pep? Clean MAF sensor
By fornido

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This car is a great reliable car, however I noticed some hesitation and loss of hp, so I did some research, and after replacing the air filter and cleaning the Mass Airflow sensor with electronic cleaner, I noticed an increase of pickup. I have 122,000 miles on it, so I guess after all that buildup, it slowed it down.

My little car
By rachel

2001 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my prizm in 06 when it was 5 years old. It runs like a champ! The only time it's in the shop is for an oil change or new tires. The only parts giving out are minor and probably due to age. The plastic trim around the windows has become brittle, the door handles on the drivers side have both snapped, cruise control has stopped working and the drivers side window motors have worn out. Low and medium air conditioner are out, but it still cranks cold on high and the heater works great. I've been teasing with the idea of a new car because of the great deals available, but my little car is still driving great and I'm not ready to give it up! I think I'll invest in it instead!

Favorite Features

I like the body style, it still doesn't look old. Mine's dark green and the paint is still awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Needs better hardware (like door handles).

Great vehicle all around!!!
By Ralph

2001 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Well its my second one the first Prizm I owned I bought in 97 with 102K miles I finally passed it on to my kid brother in 03 with 230k miles and its still driving today. My 01 Prizm has 255k miles on it and still runs like new, these cars are amazing they don't look like much but they are great. The thing I love the most is with $20 bucks of gas you can run around town all week. They have great power and acceleration,no timing belt, however oil is very important to these cars!

Favorite Features

Power, reliability, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Interior, cosmetics,