Used 2000 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Prizm

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Some unexpected problems
By Danielle

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased new, but always burned engine oil too rapidly, and became quicker over time so I must carry oil with me. The front end alignment pulls to the right and noone can seem to fix it. 3 years ago (summer of 2005) A/C broke. I had to buy a new A/C unit which works so much better than the one the car originally came with. In November 2006 with just over 100,000 miles on the car, the catalytic converter went out - Major Bucks to fix this, and required for DMV renewal. After passing smog, only months later the check engine light is on again meaning I cannot register it this year unless it gets repaired again! Needless to say - time to buy a new car.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, no major engine failures

Suggested Improvements

Agree about the cup holders. A/C unit is weak.

2000 chev prizm
By jak

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

To be frank, i really enjoy driving it with respect to reliability, fuel economy and speed.It is cost effective, but the interior design is bogus-very cheap and has really dampen my love for the car. Door handles are very brittle interior materials peel off etc all sort of problems I hate it.

Favorite Features

sound system, engine

Suggested Improvements

improve on the interior design. It is not just poor but very very poor.

Good Ol' reliable!
By beanz3

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I've had my prizm for 13 years now. I have no trouble with it eating oil, as others have stated. The inner handles do break, however they are very easily replaced (under 5 minutes each) and if ordered online, very inexpensive (look for toyota corolla). Outer door handles break as well, the front ones aren't horribly difficult to replace. After 13 years, it is now starting to act up and trying to stall if it hasn't been driven in a few days, but after warming up runs just fine. No problem with AC or heater. My cd player did stop working however.

Favorite Features

I like how she handles on the road. She hugs it and can get into small spaces where the newer bigger cars cannot.

Suggested Improvements

Better handles. They currently use Toyota Corolla handles that break easily.

My car sucks
By bettyboop16

2000 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I have had my prizm for just over a year and I will NEVER buy another car like it again...it eats oil like crazy,the inner door handle on drivers side is broke,the clear coat on the hood has peeled off, and it does the same as most of the other reviews, it hesitates when you pull out(VERY DANGEROUS) my fuel pump just went out today...can't wait to see whats next!!!!

Not a BAD car but very dissapointing
By Joseph

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

The fuel economy is awesome on this car but the mechanical flaws equal out the savings. This car ABSOLUTELY CONSUMES OIL at an incredible rate; on the free way, it eats a quart of oil every 150miles (google this issue before you buy). The car stalls EVERY time I start it and when driving, it sometimes fails to accelerate when you apply the gas which is very dangerous when turning into traffic. It is absolutely HORRIBLE in the snow so reconsider it if in a winter climate area. Also, the outside design is beautiful but the interior parts are made of cheap plastic that will break. My door handle broke a year ago and I am STILL looking for a replacement part. I would not recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy but when you consider constantly having to purchase and add oil to the car, the savings are actually equalized. The oil doesn't burn or leak while idling but seems to leak while the car is driven above 55mph. I STRONGLY suggest googling and researching this issue before you buy.

Suggested Improvements

To many to list. I don't want to say this is the worst car on the planet but it has NOT LIVED UP TO IT'S HYPE. It is reliable but it also only has 70k so this is not very impressive. Honestly, I can not see this car going much more longer.