2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
A car that LOVES to eat oil
By morningland on 04/10/09 21:49 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I was a little disappointed with this car. It is VERY reliable, had it 2 years, 20+k miles without a single mechanical problem but there are other things that annoy me. It relentlessly eats oil especially if you drive on the freeway. I drive 200 miles on a freeway and find that I am a quart and a half low, it doesn't burn up or leak it just disappears. The car stalls on when you start it up and try to drive right away; no big deal since you should let any car warm up first but I had a couple times where the car almost stalled on my first turn onto a main road with oncoming traffic. It stinks on the snow and the interior design is cheap, the door handle has already feel ff and is hard to fix.

Great car
By Greg on 02/21/09 19:56 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car new in 2000. I do not have one bad word to say about this car. It has been a great little car. No problems what so ever. It is the best value for a car I have ever bought. If all US car maker made their cars of this quality, they would not be in the mess that they now are in. Bravo to General Motors for this car.

Some unexpected problems
By Danielle on 02/22/08 16:41 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased new, but always burned engine oil too rapidly, and became quicker over time so I must carry oil with me. The front end alignment pulls to the right and noone can seem to fix it. 3 years ago (summer of 2005) A/C broke. I had to buy a new A/C unit which works so much better than the one the car originally came with. In November 2006 with just over 100,000 miles on the car, the catalytic converter went out - Major Bucks to fix this, and required for DMV renewal. After passing smog, only months later the check engine light is on again meaning I cannot register it this year unless it gets repaired again! Needless to say - time to buy a new car.

Great car for the money
By Edunn3202006 on 04/27/07 14:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I needed a car that was fuel efficient, low maintenance, and most importantly, reliable. After almost 2 years of ownership my Prizm has proven to be all three things! I was initially a little concerned because the mileage was a little high when I bought it (100k), but I'm at 114K and can say I've never experienced any problems with this car. It is a great value for the money.

Hidden Corolla
By stephen hill on 08/26/05 12:04 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Excellent value for a run-about/commuter. It is like other Toyotas, reliable, but hardly inspiring. Going with a 5 speed manual helps, some.

Great Car for Little Money
By Terence Yee on 03/30/05 09:44 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

We've owned our Prizm for five years, now, and it is extremely dependable. With a 5-Speed, it also is surprisingly zippy. This year, we added the performance Michelins from Costco, and it actually handles quite well, too.

Highly Reliable
By Vinod on 03/11/05 13:21 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

Great Vehicle. It has been very reliable with no major problems reported. Great gas mileage and dependability. For someone who is 5' 6", this is perfect for me. Mostly City driving, occasional highway. For a compact car, it appears to have more room than you think.

Too bad they don't make 'em anymore
By cover on 11/30/04 14:08 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is a great small car. It features good design, fine build quality, spunky performance w/ 5 speed, great mileage and reliability, plus decent space and comfort. Handling is good and improves remarkably when you get rid of the OEM tires and put on a set of good ones.

Great reliable car
By kris3847 on 08/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

IT gets good mileage and is very dependable. I've not had to do anything but regular maintenance in the past 4 years. My only complaint is that they put the cup holders in front of the cd, which makes getting cds in/out is a hassle and sometimes when you try to grab your drink you stop the cd or change the channel on the radio and stuff like that.

Cheap, Fun, Reliable!
By Sammy592 on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

We researched a lot of cars before buying this one seven months ago and it really paid off. We wanted a reliable used car that we could keep for a long time, so the low price combined with Toyota reliablility appealed. The fuel economy and relativly good safety rating are nice, too. Pretty comfortable, and yes, it's fun to drive!