Used 2000 Chevrolet Prizm Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Good Ol' reliable!
By beanz3

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had my prizm for 13 years now. I have no trouble with it eating oil, as others have stated. The inner handles do break, however they are very easily replaced (under 5 minutes each) and if ordered online, very inexpensive (look for toyota corolla). Outer door handles break as well, the front ones aren't horribly difficult to replace. After 13 years, it is now starting to act up and trying to stall if it hasn't been driven in a few days, but after warming up runs just fine. No problem with AC or heater. My cd player did stop working however.

Favorite Features

I like how she handles on the road. She hugs it and can get into small spaces where the newer bigger cars cannot.

Suggested Improvements

Better handles. They currently use Toyota Corolla handles that break easily.

Lemon of the Market
By chevy45

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the first car I have owned and I regret buying it. I bought it with 80K miles on it. The AC never worked, and in the summer in Florida it's torture. The check engine light never turns off and the selt belt light never comes on. Muffler fell off the first week I drove it and the car sometimes stalls when I attempt to accelerate (veryy dangerous when pulling out in front of traffic). EATS OIL like crazy. Interior cheaply built & cup holder is in the way of the radio. AC is too expensive to fix. NOT reliable

Favorite Features

Gas milage is the only good feature but other expenses towards the car (constant oil, AC etc) out weigh the excellent milage.

2000 chev prizm
By jak

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

To be frank, i really enjoy driving it with respect to reliability, fuel economy and speed.It is cost effective, but the interior design is bogus-very cheap and has really dampen my love for the car. Door handles are very brittle interior materials peel off etc all sort of problems I hate it.

Favorite Features

sound system, engine

Suggested Improvements

improve on the interior design. It is not just poor but very very poor.

Not as great as everyone says....
By morningland

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Needed a good car for school, thought the prizm was a good fit and bought one with only 40k miles on it. mpg is amazing on this car, getting 28-30 in the city! However, it consumes oil at an alarming rate (quart every 200m) so the saves equal themselves out. I maintained this car, changed oil and trans fluid but at 70k I can no trust it as reliable. Fuel pump just went out and now I am being told the transmission is going as well, so it's a piece of junk. Interior is VERY poorly made, door handles break, seats uncomfortable, everything is made of cheap plastic. Me personally, I have had enough of American cars and will NEVER put my money in them again... EVER!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage but when you consider the fact you will be adding in oil all the time, it doesn't matter. I took a cross country road trip in this car and literally had to add 20-30 quarts of oil in the process... at 3-5 dollars a quart, the good gas mileage didn't matter at all.

Suggested Improvements

Everything! I would not buy this car. You can NOT be sure you will be getting a reliable machine.

Chevy Prizm at 10 Years
By 2runner

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Very good basic transportation. So far there is no mechanical problems at 120000 miles. In general, solid drive train, but questionable quality on other components. Here is a list of problems: (1) Front bumper was not latched right leaving a bulges at p- side (did not try to fix); (2) Trunk leaking water (did not try to fix); (3) Front end linkage squeaks over sp bumps (did not try to fix); (4) Front door lock 1 screw missing the other loos at 50K miles; (5) Seat belt reminder reminds when seat belt on at 50K, and now stopped working; (6) Plastic on door trim separated at 100K; (7) Belt tensioner becomes noisy at 100K. Other than that Engine Tranny still like new.

Favorite Features

Very reliable and economical basic transportation. Front Brakes replaced at 96K miles!

Suggested Improvements

It is a "passionless" Corolla soul wrapped around in a "crying baby" Chevy body.