Used 2000 Chevrolet Prizm Base Sedan Consumer Reviews - 26 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

good performer
By David D

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

bought at automall end of 2000 it had been in a rental fleet for the year, only owner, it is an automatic transmission

mostly city driving at around 28mpg but very good highway at 65mph only (you can drive 75mph) gets around 35/38 mpg
never had one problem with engine or transmission never added oil once my self just had regular changes around twice a year
but only drive highway for 6 hours round trip maybe twice a month or so....

have replaced radiator, both front door inner handles, both safety belts for front seats, front breaks, and the usual belts and hoses
also had to replace fuel tank as the pressure release valve on the top locked shut and the tank had already started to bulge ....
had to replace fuel filter assembly, filter and pump in one assembly, and therefore costly. cassette broke and replaced radio too
replaced dash gauge cluster lights too
all in all I've had great luck with this car but drive very conservatively in fact my mechanic says I have excessive carbon and should
burn it off by accelerating once in a while the engine light is off and only came on for the fuel tank problem and catalytic converter/carbon problem
problems I have put off lost one diode in alternator, slight leak in rack-n-pinion steering, motor mounts, car feels a bit loose might be front struts/shocks etc.
all in all I've had great luck with this car but bought it one year old and babied it ......

worst feature is the interior as the headliner is falling apart seats wear thin etc.

Good Ol' reliable!
By beanz3

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had my prizm for 13 years now. I have no trouble with it eating oil, as others have stated. The inner handles do break, however they are very easily replaced (under 5 minutes each) and if ordered online, very inexpensive (look for toyota corolla). Outer door handles break as well, the front ones aren't horribly difficult to replace. After 13 years, it is now starting to act up and trying to stall if it hasn't been driven in a few days, but after warming up runs just fine. No problem with AC or heater. My cd player did stop working however.

I like how she handles on the road. She hugs it and can get into small spaces where the newer bigger cars cannot.

Better handles. They currently use Toyota Corolla handles that break easily.

Lemon of the Market
By chevy45

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the first car I have owned and I regret buying it. I bought it with 80K miles on it. The AC never worked, and in the summer in Florida it's torture. The check engine light never turns off and the selt belt light never comes on. Muffler fell off the first week I drove it and the car sometimes stalls when I attempt to accelerate (veryy dangerous when pulling out in front of traffic). EATS OIL like crazy. Interior cheaply built & cup holder is in the way of the radio. AC is too expensive to fix. NOT reliable

Gas milage is the only good feature but other expenses towards the car (constant oil, AC etc) out weigh the excellent milage.

2000 chev prizm
By jak

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

To be frank, i really enjoy driving it with respect to reliability, fuel economy and speed.It is cost effective, but the interior design is bogus-very cheap and has really dampen my love for the car. Door handles are very brittle interior materials peel off etc all sort of problems I hate it.

sound system, engine

improve on the interior design. It is not just poor but very very poor.

Not as great as everyone says....
By morningland

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Needed a good car for school, thought the prizm was a good fit and bought one with only 40k miles on it. mpg is amazing on this car, getting 28-30 in the city! However, it consumes oil at an alarming rate (quart every 200m) so the saves equal themselves out. I maintained this car, changed oil and trans fluid but at 70k I can no trust it as reliable. Fuel pump just went out and now I am being told the transmission is going as well, so it's a piece of junk. Interior is VERY poorly made, door handles break, seats uncomfortable, everything is made of cheap plastic. Me personally, I have had enough of American cars and will NEVER put my money in them again... EVER!

Gas mileage but when you consider the fact you will be adding in oil all the time, it doesn't matter. I took a cross country road trip in this car and literally had to add 20-30 quarts of oil in the process... at 3-5 dollars a quart, the good gas mileage didn't matter at all.

Everything! I would not buy this car. You can NOT be sure you will be getting a reliable machine.