Used 2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

good performer
By David D

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

bought at automall end of 2000 it had been in a rental fleet for the year, only owner, it is an automatic transmission mostly city driving at around 28mpg but very good highway at 65mph only (you can drive 75mph) gets around 35/38 mpg never had one problem with engine or transmission never added oil once my self just had regular changes around twice a year but only drive highway for 6 hours round trip maybe twice a month or so.... have replaced radiator, both front door inner handles, both safety belts for front seats, front breaks, and the usual belts and hoses also had to replace fuel tank as the pressure release valve on the top locked shut and the tank had already started to bulge .... had to replace fuel filter assembly, filter and pump in one assembly, and therefore costly. cassette broke and replaced radio too replaced dash gauge cluster lights too all in all I've had great luck with this car but drive very conservatively in fact my mechanic says I have excessive carbon and should burn it off by accelerating once in a while the engine light is off and only came on for the fuel tank problem and catalytic converter/carbon problem problems I have put off lost one diode in alternator, slight leak in rack-n-pinion steering, motor mounts, car feels a bit loose might be front struts/shocks etc. all in all I've had great luck with this car but bought it one year old and babied it ...... worst feature is the interior as the headliner is falling apart seats wear thin etc.

My car sucks
By bettyboop16

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I have had my prizm for just over a year and I will NEVER buy another car like it again...it eats oil like crazy,the inner door handle on drivers side is broke,the clear coat on the hood has peeled off, and it does the same as most of the other reviews, it hesitates when you pull out(VERY DANGEROUS) my fuel pump just went out today...can't wait to see whats next!!!!

Perfect Reliable Car for the Value!
By atlanta67

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

Most people are complaining about Prizm's interior design/quality etc. But thats not true. You are getting what you are paying for. There is not a better car in Prizm's price range. I purchased my prizm when it was 100k, currently it has 180k. It has never stopped working. Power/Weight ratio is perfect for this car 125 horsepower for that small size car is great. (dont expect fast accelerations etc) Currently, I'm looking for a upgrade but I will not sell my prizm, I want to keep it at least 2 or 3 years as a back up.

Perfect mpg! I dont check Prizm's rpm for efficiency because I know my prizm is going to make 31mpg(worst), 40 mpg(best), 37 mpg(average). If you have good tires, prizm goes really good on snow as well but not on ice of course.

The traction of the car could be better. Don't try to make speeding with this car. Because after around 80 mph, you are going to feel safe. Crosswinds are prizm's biggest enemy. This car is designed to carry people from A to B. Not for fun.

Good Ol' reliable!
By beanz3

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had my prizm for 13 years now. I have no trouble with it eating oil, as others have stated. The inner handles do break, however they are very easily replaced (under 5 minutes each) and if ordered online, very inexpensive (look for toyota corolla). Outer door handles break as well, the front ones aren't horribly difficult to replace. After 13 years, it is now starting to act up and trying to stall if it hasn't been driven in a few days, but after warming up runs just fine. No problem with AC or heater. My cd player did stop working however.

I like how she handles on the road. She hugs it and can get into small spaces where the newer bigger cars cannot.

Better handles. They currently use Toyota Corolla handles that break easily.

Great around-town car
By 4hudsons

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

The Prism is a great around town car, but NOT for traveling. I have 260,000 miles on my manual shift and lost 4th gear last September and I am still getting over 34 miles to the gallon. The throwout bearing went bad at about 220,000 miles and we went ahead and rebuilt the motor since it was out and was losing compression. It runs like a new one except for the pesky 4th gear. The interior is very cheap and the door handles break easily. We bought this car new with only 11 miles on it, 8 we put on during the test drive. The car is great for around town and short trips less than 2 hours but uncomfortable on any further distance, especially in the back seat. The suspension is very cheap.

Awesome gas mileage and the radio works well.

The suspension needs to be made more durable. We had to replace the rack & pinion after only 150,000 miles. The front tyrod ends wear out about every 20,000 miles or so and you cannot keep this car in line for any length of time.

• SUV