Used 2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

My car sucks
By bettyboop16

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I have had my prizm for just over a year and I will NEVER buy another car like it again...it eats oil like crazy,the inner door handle on drivers side is broke,the clear coat on the hood has peeled off, and it does the same as most of the other reviews, it hesitates when you pull out(VERY DANGEROUS) my fuel pump just went out today...can't wait to see whats next!!!!

Perfect Reliable Car for the Value!
By atlanta67

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

Most people are complaining about Prizm's interior design/quality etc. But thats not true. You are getting what you are paying for. There is not a better car in Prizm's price range. I purchased my prizm when it was 100k, currently it has 180k. It has never stopped working. Power/Weight ratio is perfect for this car 125 horsepower for that small size car is great. (dont expect fast accelerations etc) Currently, I'm looking for a upgrade but I will not sell my prizm, I want to keep it at least 2 or 3 years as a back up.

Perfect mpg! I dont check Prizm's rpm for efficiency because I know my prizm is going to make 31mpg(worst), 40 mpg(best), 37 mpg(average). If you have good tires, prizm goes really good on snow as well but not on ice of course.

The traction of the car could be better. Don't try to make speeding with this car. Because after around 80 mph, you are going to feel safe. Crosswinds are prizm's biggest enemy. This car is designed to carry people from A to B. Not for fun.

Good Ol' reliable!
By beanz3

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had my prizm for 13 years now. I have no trouble with it eating oil, as others have stated. The inner handles do break, however they are very easily replaced (under 5 minutes each) and if ordered online, very inexpensive (look for toyota corolla). Outer door handles break as well, the front ones aren't horribly difficult to replace. After 13 years, it is now starting to act up and trying to stall if it hasn't been driven in a few days, but after warming up runs just fine. No problem with AC or heater. My cd player did stop working however.

I like how she handles on the road. She hugs it and can get into small spaces where the newer bigger cars cannot.

Better handles. They currently use Toyota Corolla handles that break easily.

Great around-town car
By 4hudsons

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

The Prism is a great around town car, but NOT for traveling. I have 260,000 miles on my manual shift and lost 4th gear last September and I am still getting over 34 miles to the gallon. The throwout bearing went bad at about 220,000 miles and we went ahead and rebuilt the motor since it was out and was losing compression. It runs like a new one except for the pesky 4th gear. The interior is very cheap and the door handles break easily. We bought this car new with only 11 miles on it, 8 we put on during the test drive. The car is great for around town and short trips less than 2 hours but uncomfortable on any further distance, especially in the back seat. The suspension is very cheap.

Awesome gas mileage and the radio works well.

The suspension needs to be made more durable. We had to replace the rack & pinion after only 150,000 miles. The front tyrod ends wear out about every 20,000 miles or so and you cannot keep this car in line for any length of time.

Lemon of the Market
By chevy45

2000 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the first car I have owned and I regret buying it. I bought it with 80K miles on it. The AC never worked, and in the summer in Florida it's torture. The check engine light never turns off and the selt belt light never comes on. Muffler fell off the first week I drove it and the car sometimes stalls when I attempt to accelerate (veryy dangerous when pulling out in front of traffic). EATS OIL like crazy. Interior cheaply built & cup holder is in the way of the radio. AC is too expensive to fix. NOT reliable

Gas milage is the only good feature but other expenses towards the car (constant oil, AC etc) out weigh the excellent milage.