Used 2000 Chevrolet Prizm LSi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Prizm

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

My car sucks
By bettyboop16

2000 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I have had my prizm for just over a year and I will NEVER buy another car like it again...it eats oil like crazy,the inner door handle on drivers side is broke,the clear coat on the hood has peeled off, and it does the same as most of the other reviews, it hesitates when you pull out(VERY DANGEROUS) my fuel pump just went out today...can't wait to see whats next!!!!

Perfect Reliable Car for the Value!
By atlanta67

2000 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Most people are complaining about Prizm's interior design/quality etc. But thats not true. You are getting what you are paying for. There is not a better car in Prizm's price range. I purchased my prizm when it was 100k, currently it has 180k. It has never stopped working. Power/Weight ratio is perfect for this car 125 horsepower for that small size car is great. (dont expect fast accelerations etc) Currently, I'm looking for a upgrade but I will not sell my prizm, I want to keep it at least 2 or 3 years as a back up.

Favorite Features

Perfect mpg! I dont check Prizm's rpm for efficiency because I know my prizm is going to make 31mpg(worst), 40 mpg(best), 37 mpg(average). If you have good tires, prizm goes really good on snow as well but not on ice of course.

Suggested Improvements

The traction of the car could be better. Don't try to make speeding with this car. Because after around 80 mph, you are going to feel safe. Crosswinds are prizm's biggest enemy. This car is designed to carry people from A to B. Not for fun.

Great around-town car
By 4hudsons

2000 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

The Prism is a great around town car, but NOT for traveling. I have 260,000 miles on my manual shift and lost 4th gear last September and I am still getting over 34 miles to the gallon. The throwout bearing went bad at about 220,000 miles and we went ahead and rebuilt the motor since it was out and was losing compression. It runs like a new one except for the pesky 4th gear. The interior is very cheap and the door handles break easily. We bought this car new with only 11 miles on it, 8 we put on during the test drive. The car is great for around town and short trips less than 2 hours but uncomfortable on any further distance, especially in the back seat. The suspension is very cheap.

Favorite Features

Awesome gas mileage and the radio works well.

Suggested Improvements

The suspension needs to be made more durable. We had to replace the rack & pinion after only 150,000 miles. The front tyrod ends wear out about every 20,000 miles or so and you cannot keep this car in line for any length of time.

Quality used car
By jayk

2000 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used with 16k on it in 2002. Had previously owned a Geo Prizm with very few problems, which is why I chose this car. It now has 130k on it and has only needed routine maintenance. I haven't had the oil-guzzling probs others mention, & it gets great mileage too. My only complaints are the cup-holder blocks the radio if its holding a drink, and the black rubber trim on the window borders is peeling off. Suppose I'd settle for that any day over major mechanical malfunctions. If they still made this car, I'd absolutely buy it again.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, lack of mechanical issues

Suggested Improvements

Move cup holder, more durable trim on outside of car.

2000 Checy Prizm Review
By Rick

2000 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Generally a reliable vehicle. But the following problems have surfaced in the past 2 yrs. 1) Check engine light analyzed but repair didn't fix the problem. 2) Seatbelt light flashes sometimes for no reason. 3) A/C stopped working - too expensive to repair. 4) Cruise control works sometimes and sometimes doesn't work. 5) Transmission linkage shifts out of drive into neutral sometimes. Considering this is a Toyota Corolla with a Chevy nameplate, I am rather disappointed in this vehicle which has had good reviews elsewhere.

Favorite Features

Generally reliable (major components) and economical.

Suggested Improvements

See review.