2000 Chevrolet Prizm Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

2000 Prizm Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Sort Reviews by

Good Ol' reliable!
By beanz3

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I've had my prizm for 13 years now. I have no trouble with it eating oil, as others have stated. The inner handles do break, however they are very easily replaced (under 5 minutes each) and if ordered online, very inexpensive (look for toyota corolla). Outer door handles break as well, the front ones aren't horribly difficult to replace. After 13 years, it is now starting to act up and trying to stall if it hasn't been driven in a few days, but after warming up runs just fine. No problem with AC or heater. My cd player did stop working however.

Favorite Features

I like how she handles on the road. She hugs it and can get into small spaces where the newer bigger cars cannot.

Suggested Improvements

Better handles. They currently use Toyota Corolla handles that break easily.

Lemon of the Market
By chevy45

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

This is the first car I have owned and I regret buying it. I bought it with 80K miles on it. The AC never worked, and in the summer in Florida it's torture. The check engine light never turns off and the selt belt light never comes on. Muffler fell off the first week I drove it and the car sometimes stalls when I attempt to accelerate (veryy dangerous when pulling out in front of traffic). EATS OIL like crazy. Interior cheaply built & cup holder is in the way of the radio. AC is too expensive to fix. NOT reliable

Favorite Features

Gas milage is the only good feature but other expenses towards the car (constant oil, AC etc) out weigh the excellent milage.

2000 chev prizm
By jak

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

To be frank, i really enjoy driving it with respect to reliability, fuel economy and speed.It is cost effective, but the interior design is bogus-very cheap and has really dampen my love for the car. Door handles are very brittle interior materials peel off etc all sort of problems I hate it.

Favorite Features

sound system, engine

Suggested Improvements

improve on the interior design. It is not just poor but very very poor.

Not as great as everyone says....
By morningland

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Needed a good car for school, thought the prizm was a good fit and bought one with only 40k miles on it. mpg is amazing on this car, getting 28-30 in the city! However, it consumes oil at an alarming rate (quart every 200m) so the saves equal themselves out. I maintained this car, changed oil and trans fluid but at 70k I can no trust it as reliable. Fuel pump just went out and now I am being told the transmission is going as well, so it's a piece of junk. Interior is VERY poorly made, door handles break, seats uncomfortable, everything is made of cheap plastic. Me personally, I have had enough of American cars and will NEVER put my money in them again... EVER!

Favorite Features

Gas mileage but when you consider the fact you will be adding in oil all the time, it doesn't matter. I took a cross country road trip in this car and literally had to add 20-30 quarts of oil in the process... at 3-5 dollars a quart, the good gas mileage didn't matter at all.

Suggested Improvements

Everything! I would not buy this car. You can NOT be sure you will be getting a reliable machine.

Chevy Prizm at 10 Years
By 2runner

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Very good basic transportation. So far there is no mechanical problems at 120000 miles. In general, solid drive train, but questionable quality on other components. Here is a list of problems: (1) Front bumper was not latched right leaving a bulges at p- side (did not try to fix); (2) Trunk leaking water (did not try to fix); (3) Front end linkage squeaks over sp bumps (did not try to fix); (4) Front door lock 1 screw missing the other loos at 50K miles; (5) Seat belt reminder reminds when seat belt on at 50K, and now stopped working; (6) Plastic on door trim separated at 100K; (7) Belt tensioner becomes noisy at 100K. Other than that Engine Tranny still like new.

Favorite Features

Very reliable and economical basic transportation. Front Brakes replaced at 96K miles!

Suggested Improvements

It is a "passionless" Corolla soul wrapped around in a "crying baby" Chevy body.

Not a BAD car but very dissapointing
By Joseph

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

The fuel economy is awesome on this car but the mechanical flaws equal out the savings. This car ABSOLUTELY CONSUMES OIL at an incredible rate; on the free way, it eats a quart of oil every 150miles (google this issue before you buy). The car stalls EVERY time I start it and when driving, it sometimes fails to accelerate when you apply the gas which is very dangerous when turning into traffic. It is absolutely HORRIBLE in the snow so reconsider it if in a winter climate area. Also, the outside design is beautiful but the interior parts are made of cheap plastic that will break. My door handle broke a year ago and I am STILL looking for a replacement part. I would not recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy but when you consider constantly having to purchase and add oil to the car, the savings are actually equalized. The oil doesn't burn or leak while idling but seems to leak while the car is driven above 55mph. I STRONGLY suggest googling and researching this issue before you buy.

Suggested Improvements

To many to list. I don't want to say this is the worst car on the planet but it has NOT LIVED UP TO IT'S HYPE. It is reliable but it also only has 70k so this is not very impressive. Honestly, I can not see this car going much more longer.

Still Kicking After 200,000
By eyva2nc06

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Overall, this car is pretty good. I have over 200,000 miles - 7 years. The check engine light comes on and off. Been doing this for over a year. Mechanic says its a malfunction. Car still runs fine - no problem starting up. A/C broke a year ago - too costly to fix. Door handles are flimsy and broke, but still work. Car uses ALOT of oil. Have to refill it several times between oil changes. Replaced the clutch after 125,000 miles.

Favorite Features

It's still running. No major problems

Suggested Improvements

I hope it keep running - can't afford a car payment!

A car that LOVES to eat oil
By morningland

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I was a little disappointed with this car. It is VERY reliable, had it 2 years, 20+k miles without a single mechanical problem but there are other things that annoy me. It relentlessly eats oil especially if you drive on the freeway. I drive 200 miles on a freeway and find that I am a quart and a half low, it doesn't burn up or leak it just disappears. The car stalls on when you start it up and try to drive right away; no big deal since you should let any car warm up first but I had a couple times where the car almost stalled on my first turn onto a main road with oncoming traffic. It stinks on the snow and the interior design is cheap, the door handle has already feel ff and is hard to fix.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, reliability so far, good sound system, easy to work on engine.

Some unexpected problems
By Danielle

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

This car was purchased new, but always burned engine oil too rapidly, and became quicker over time so I must carry oil with me. The front end alignment pulls to the right and noone can seem to fix it. 3 years ago (summer of 2005) A/C broke. I had to buy a new A/C unit which works so much better than the one the car originally came with. In November 2006 with just over 100,000 miles on the car, the catalytic converter went out - Major Bucks to fix this, and required for DMV renewal. After passing smog, only months later the check engine light is on again meaning I cannot register it this year unless it gets repaired again! Needless to say - time to buy a new car.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage, no major engine failures

Suggested Improvements

Agree about the cup holders. A/C unit is weak.

Great car for the money
By Edunn3202006

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I needed a car that was fuel efficient, low maintenance, and most importantly, reliable. After almost 2 years of ownership my Prizm has proven to be all three things! I was initially a little concerned because the mileage was a little high when I bought it (100k), but I'm at 114K and can say I've never experienced any problems with this car. It is a great value for the money.

Favorite Features

Quick gear shifts, small size, great handling (especially in snow!)

Suggested Improvements

Interior comfort, more standard features, more stylish interior.