2000 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Perfect Reliable Car for the Value!
By atlanta67 on 08/30/14 21:29 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Most people are complaining about Prizm's interior design/quality etc. But thats not true. You are getting what you are paying for. There is not a better car in Prizm's price range. I purchased my prizm when it was 100k, currently it has 180k. It has never stopped working. Power/Weight ratio is perfect for this car 125 horsepower for that small size car is great. (dont expect fast accelerations etc) Currently, I'm looking for a upgrade but I will not sell my prizm, I want to keep it at least 2 or 3 years as a back up.

Good Ol' reliable!
By beanz3 on 05/07/13 12:22 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I've had my prizm for 13 years now. I have no trouble with it eating oil, as others have stated. The inner handles do break, however they are very easily replaced (under 5 minutes each) and if ordered online, very inexpensive (look for toyota corolla). Outer door handles break as well, the front ones aren't horribly difficult to replace. After 13 years, it is now starting to act up and trying to stall if it hasn't been driven in a few days, but after warming up runs just fine. No problem with AC or heater. My cd player did stop working however.

Great around-town car
By 4hudsons on 07/17/12 04:43 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

The Prism is a great around town car, but NOT for traveling. I have 260,000 miles on my manual shift and lost 4th gear last September and I am still getting over 34 miles to the gallon. The throwout bearing went bad at about 220,000 miles and we went ahead and rebuilt the motor since it was out and was losing compression. It runs like a new one except for the pesky 4th gear. The interior is very cheap and the door handles break easily. We bought this car new with only 11 miles on it, 8 we put on during the test drive. The car is great for around town and short trips less than 2 hours but uncomfortable on any further distance, especially in the back seat. The suspension is very cheap.

Lemon of the Market
By chevy45 on 06/16/11 14:31 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

This is the first car I have owned and I regret buying it. I bought it with 80K miles on it. The AC never worked, and in the summer in Florida it's torture. The check engine light never turns off and the selt belt light never comes on. Muffler fell off the first week I drove it and the car sometimes stalls when I attempt to accelerate (veryy dangerous when pulling out in front of traffic). EATS OIL like crazy. Interior cheaply built & cup holder is in the way of the radio. AC is too expensive to fix. NOT reliable

Quality used car
By jayk on 07/06/10 14:32 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Bought the car used with 16k on it in 2002. Had previously owned a Geo Prizm with very few problems, which is why I chose this car. It now has 130k on it and has only needed routine maintenance. I haven't had the oil-guzzling probs others mention, & it gets great mileage too. My only complaints are the cup-holder blocks the radio if its holding a drink, and the black rubber trim on the window borders is peeling off. Suppose I'd settle for that any day over major mechanical malfunctions. If they still made this car, I'd absolutely buy it again.

2000 chev prizm
By jak on 05/21/10 18:37 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

To be frank, i really enjoy driving it with respect to reliability, fuel economy and speed.It is cost effective, but the interior design is bogus-very cheap and has really dampen my love for the car. Door handles are very brittle interior materials peel off etc all sort of problems I hate it.

Not as great as everyone says....
By morningland on 09/24/09 10:01 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Needed a good car for school, thought the prizm was a good fit and bought one with only 40k miles on it. mpg is amazing on this car, getting 28-30 in the city! However, it consumes oil at an alarming rate (quart every 200m) so the saves equal themselves out. I maintained this car, changed oil and trans fluid but at 70k I can no trust it as reliable. Fuel pump just went out and now I am being told the transmission is going as well, so it's a piece of junk. Interior is VERY poorly made, door handles break, seats uncomfortable, everything is made of cheap plastic. Me personally, I have had enough of American cars and will NEVER put my money in them again... EVER!

Chevy Prizm at 10 Years
By 2runner on 09/20/09 12:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Very good basic transportation. So far there is no mechanical problems at 120000 miles. In general, solid drive train, but questionable quality on other components. Here is a list of problems: (1) Front bumper was not latched right leaving a bulges at p- side (did not try to fix); (2) Trunk leaking water (did not try to fix); (3) Front end linkage squeaks over sp bumps (did not try to fix); (4) Front door lock 1 screw missing the other loos at 50K miles; (5) Seat belt reminder reminds when seat belt on at 50K, and now stopped working; (6) Plastic on door trim separated at 100K; (7) Belt tensioner becomes noisy at 100K. Other than that Engine Tranny still like new.

Not a BAD car but very dissapointing
By Joseph on 09/11/09 16:06 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

The fuel economy is awesome on this car but the mechanical flaws equal out the savings. This car ABSOLUTELY CONSUMES OIL at an incredible rate; on the free way, it eats a quart of oil every 150miles (google this issue before you buy). The car stalls EVERY time I start it and when driving, it sometimes fails to accelerate when you apply the gas which is very dangerous when turning into traffic. It is absolutely HORRIBLE in the snow so reconsider it if in a winter climate area. Also, the outside design is beautiful but the interior parts are made of cheap plastic that will break. My door handle broke a year ago and I am STILL looking for a replacement part. I would not recommend this car.

Still Kicking After 200,000
By eyva2nc06 on 09/10/09 08:05 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Overall, this car is pretty good. I have over 200,000 miles - 7 years. The check engine light comes on and off. Been doing this for over a year. Mechanic says its a malfunction. Car still runs fine - no problem starting up. A/C broke a year ago - too costly to fix. Door handles are flimsy and broke, but still work. Car uses ALOT of oil. Have to refill it several times between oil changes. Replaced the clutch after 125,000 miles.