1999 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Prizm is a GREAT car!
By TheHeat on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I really can't say enough about this car. I've owned Hondas, Nissans, a Mazda, and many other foreign and domestic autos and this is absolutely in the top three, heck it may be number 1 overall! Just an awesome, reliable and economical Corolla clone. Think I'll keep it for a LONG time!

Reliable
By NJ Driver 1999 on 02/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Bought new and after 70000 miles still love it. No breakdowns or problems, just regular maintenance.

review of 1999 Prizm
By MAUREEN on 05/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Overall, this is a very good car for general transportation and for individuals and small families. My model is pretty basic, but has enough frills to get by (radio, AC, power brakes/steering, automatic trans). The gas mileage is a plus. This car makes for good, reliable, affordable, fuel- efficient transportation.

Reliable Car
By Sankrit on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new in January 1999. It was custom built to my specifications. Except for regular oil change I had absolutely no problem with this car. It has been extremelt reliable.

A Very Nice Little Car
By Syracusan17 on 05/04/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I have a base model with a 5 speed manual, air conditioning, cassette, tilt wheel, side airbags, ABS, and alloy wheels. I have had ZERO problems in a year of ownership. I STOLE this car- a comparable Toyota Corolla (the same car) with more miles and less options was selling for $3000 more! Looks good, and feels solid. Tires are the weak point- the stock Goodyears were terrible. I upgraded to 185/60-14 Yokohama Avid T4's and the car is far more stable. The cost cutting is apparent in the sheet metal, though: it dents and dings extremely easily. Overall a trouble free, enjoyable piece of point-to-point transportation.

Wonderful little car
By Jackpinejack on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

This is, after all, a Toyota Corolla with a Chevy badge, and I'm a Corolla nut. I just want a car that doesn't ever want or need to be fixed, and this Prizm/Corolla fits the bill. Too bad Chevy has dropped the line -- I guess they were embarassed that they junk-pile small models they make (I once owned a ghastly Vega) can't compare. Reliable Reliable Reliable.

1999 Chevrolet Prizm
By klemmens on 03/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

The Prizm handles very easily. It is a lot of fun to drive, has the get up and go for interstate driving,is comfortable, very reliable, and very affordable.

Crash Survivor
By zmjh on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I was recently the victim of a hit and run accident in my 1999 Prizm - hit broadside on the drivers side near the front wheel. I haven't seen the police report yet, but the impact was severe. The car is a total loss, but I think it saved my life. The car contracted like an accordion - absorbing the shock. The shoulder harness locked, preventing me from flying into the windshield, and the airbags deployed, giving my head a soft landing from the unavoidable forward movement. In short, I got out of the car without a scratch. If crash safety is your concern, I can certainly testify to my favorable experience.

'99 Prizm review
By Jim9999 on 02/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

This vehicle is a great selection for someone looking for inexpensive, good- quality transportation. Fuel economy is good, and maintenance is few and far between.

Update from previous Revie
By whitespirit on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I put 80,000 miles on my car in 3 years. I bought new for $15,000 and traded it in for $ 3,500. The master cylinder was just starting to go when I traded it. I was also on my 3RD set of 60,000 TIRES !!!! This care ate tires, they would only wear in one spot and the rest looked new. But the car kept going no matter what. It would not die under 700 mile trips, excessive 100+ mile per hour trips, and constant abuse. Had this been a cheap car I would have demolished it along time ago.