Used 1999 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Prizm

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Prism can't beat it
By tdhicks

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000, and was using it to deliver papers about 400 of them daily. On Sunday this car would carry 2000 plus pounds of paper up and down hills, through snow, rain etc. All I did was change the oil, breaks and tires. After completley beating this car up, a paper route will tell you if your car is worth anything. I tell you this has too be the best car ever. The door handle inside finally brooke off, but that's opening and closing it 200 times a day. The transmision and engine are still in great shape. After 7 years of using it on paper routes I just spent 600 dollars to completely redo the suspension and bearings. The car is like brand new. Chevy needs to make this car

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder in the front, but I put a new stereo in mine and changed it up so it's all good..

I love this car!
By Mnshine77

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for almost 8 years and have never had a more reliable car. I wish I could buy another one and keep it in storage for when this one goes! Seats can get somewhat uncomfortable on long rides and without any cruise control, but this car was built for reliability, not comfort. And my checkbook appreciates that! Words simply can't express how great this car has been for me.

Favorite Features

My model is a no frills model, no cruise, no power windows, etc. Nothing really special about my model.

Suggested Improvements

Little things-yes the cup holder can be a little annoying and trunk is definitely small. But as long as I'm not paying to fix it all the time, these are completely trivial to me. Please bring it back Chevy!

No regrets
By Starving student

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I really can't say enough about this car. It is the first car that I have owned and I'm afraid it may have set the bar too high for my future vehicles. I try to keep up on the routine maintenance, but even when I don't, the car is extremely forgiving. It has given me 50000 miles of trouble free driving and all I have given back is oil, tires, brakes and a battery. This amazes me because my wife learned how to drive a 5-speed on this car, it is not garaged (it gets buried in snow every winter and withstands sub zero temperatures) and we drive it all over the western US during the summers. On a recent trip, I calculated that we averaged 44 mpg! Bottom line: this is an all around great car.

Favorite Features

The engine is sufficient to drive the car at 65 up most hills in 4th gear. Cruise control is handy on road trips. Makes use of random interior places with storage bins. Handles well in snow and ice. Driver seat slides back far enough for taller drivers.

Suggested Improvements

A fold down rear seat would improve cargo capacity, but on the other hand I have transported snow skis, camping gear, suitcases and some furniture. Besides, who buys a compact sedan for cargo capacity?!

Most Reliable Car Ever Owned
By RPriest

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used 7 years ago. Days in shop for repairs since then? Zero. It performs exactly like the first day I bought it, and still gets the same outstanding city mileage (31 mpg). This is a car with no hassles. I can't say enough postive about it.

Favorite Features

The controls are extremely handy. The gas mileage is great. Completely reliable.

Suggested Improvements

The car has a tendency to lose hubcaps, or maybe it's my driving :-)

Car is awesome
By lovemyprizm

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought my Prizm because of the fuel economy, and figured it would at least get me back and forth throuh 4 years of commuting to college. It's now at 124,000 miles and still runs like it's new! There are little things that are starting to wear out now, like my heater/air conditioner blower only works on high, but thats just age and can be delt with. This is a totally reliable car and gets great gas mileage. I average anwhere between 35 and 40 mpg depending on the type of driving I'm doing. I would reccomend this car to anyone thinking of buying one. It's a practical car, so if your looking for sporty it's not the car for you.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage. I love that the lights turn themselves on and off!