1999 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Just bought this as an extra car.
By dmd747 on 02/27/14 03:39 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

So I just purchased this car used with just a little over 96,000 miles. Gotta say great choice. We've been having a hellish winter here -20's not uncommon followed by 6-12 inches of snow when it warms up. This car has never even hesitated. Mine is the 5 speed and I love the gas mileage. Awesome heat!!! A/C works too. Mine had the usual door handle break off, but the previous owner fixed it. I can't believe I actually enjoy driving this car. I wish the new Corolla wasn't cvt then I'd buy one next year.

Best car I have ever owned
By pteixeira on 09/29/11 06:09 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new, ordered it in fact, down to every feature. It was my very first new car. Fast forward 12 years and my baby has 120,000 miles on her and has never let me down. Ever. I replaced the tires a few times, the compressor on the air conditioner and a few minor things, but this car has never left me stranded at the roadside. I still get 35-40mpg. I will drive this car till the wheels fall off. I expect to put on another 100,000 easily.

1999 Chevy Prizm - 4 Dr Base Model
By Ess Bee on 05/20/10 10:05 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a family member, with 14,000 mi. on it. I've followed the maintenance manual and have had NO problems! I've had to replace the tires, oil, spark plugs, serpentine belt and battery; the normal maintenance stuff. I had to have the A/C charged a few times - but that only $20. It now has 115,000 miles and has NEVER broken down. It's been a fabulous car! I was informed that it is really a TOYOTA COROLLA with a Chevy name plate on it. Chevrolet and Toyota entered into a Joint Venture and produced this wonderful, dependable car - I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise. And it's great on gas.

Great little car
By miles on 06/16/09 09:05 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I just stepped up into my '99 prizm from a '97 ranger. The name Prizm doesnt inspire anything good, but this car far surpasses my expectations. It is a 5 speed stick and insanely fast for a 1.8 4 cyl, it is fun to drive and gets excellent gas mileage. I am a mechanic and I know a good car when I see one, this is by far the best car for the money, being a corolla, with unbeatable reliability. A great car.

Amazing Car
By Jusamazed on 02/03/09 07:10 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Bought it because it's actually a Toyota Corolla, minimally re-skinned, but all Toyota mechanicals. I drove it until 2005, then gave it to my son, who still has it. Fluid changes, tires, one battery, one fairly recent set of rear brake pads, that's it, and it's 10 year old this month, and still running like a top. It's still on it's first muffler, for goodness sakes.

Prism can't beat it
By tdhicks on 01/16/09 02:25 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000, and was using it to deliver papers about 400 of them daily. On Sunday this car would carry 2000 plus pounds of paper up and down hills, through snow, rain etc. All I did was change the oil, breaks and tires. After completley beating this car up, a paper route will tell you if your car is worth anything. I tell you this has too be the best car ever. The door handle inside finally brooke off, but that's opening and closing it 200 times a day. The transmision and engine are still in great shape. After 7 years of using it on paper routes I just spent 600 dollars to completely redo the suspension and bearings. The car is like brand new. Chevy needs to make this car

I love this car!
By Mnshine77 on 11/01/08 12:09 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for almost 8 years and have never had a more reliable car. I wish I could buy another one and keep it in storage for when this one goes! Seats can get somewhat uncomfortable on long rides and without any cruise control, but this car was built for reliability, not comfort. And my checkbook appreciates that! Words simply can't express how great this car has been for me.

No regrets
By Starving student on 07/21/07 01:08 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I really can't say enough about this car. It is the first car that I have owned and I'm afraid it may have set the bar too high for my future vehicles. I try to keep up on the routine maintenance, but even when I don't, the car is extremely forgiving. It has given me 50000 miles of trouble free driving and all I have given back is oil, tires, brakes and a battery. This amazes me because my wife learned how to drive a 5-speed on this car, it is not garaged (it gets buried in snow every winter and withstands sub zero temperatures) and we drive it all over the western US during the summers. On a recent trip, I calculated that we averaged 44 mpg! Bottom line: this is an all around great car.

Most Reliable Car Ever Owned
By RPriest on 09/18/06 10:30 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used 7 years ago. Days in shop for repairs since then? Zero. It performs exactly like the first day I bought it, and still gets the same outstanding city mileage (31 mpg). This is a car with no hassles. I can't say enough postive about it.

Car is awesome
By lovemyprizm on 08/12/06 05:22 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought my Prizm because of the fuel economy, and figured it would at least get me back and forth throuh 4 years of commuting to college. It's now at 124,000 miles and still runs like it's new! There are little things that are starting to wear out now, like my heater/air conditioner blower only works on high, but thats just age and can be delt with. This is a totally reliable car and gets great gas mileage. I average anwhere between 35 and 40 mpg depending on the type of driving I'm doing. I would reccomend this car to anyone thinking of buying one. It's a practical car, so if your looking for sporty it's not the car for you.