Used 1999 Chevrolet Prizm Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Just bought this as an extra car.
By dmd747

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

So I just purchased this car used with just a little over 96,000 miles. Gotta say great choice. We've been having a hellish winter here -20's not uncommon followed by 6-12 inches of snow when it warms up. This car has never even hesitated. Mine is the 5 speed and I love the gas mileage. Awesome heat!!! A/C works too. Mine had the usual door handle break off, but the previous owner fixed it. I can't believe I actually enjoy driving this car. I wish the new Corolla wasn't cvt then I'd buy one next year.

5 speed, great heat, good a/c. Peppy fun to drive and zip around town.

Better seats and a good arm rest. Could also use a tachometer.

Best car I have ever owned
By pteixeira

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new, ordered it in fact, down to every feature. It was my very first new car. Fast forward 12 years and my baby has 120,000 miles on her and has never let me down. Ever. I replaced the tires a few times, the compressor on the air conditioner and a few minor things, but this car has never left me stranded at the roadside. I still get 35-40mpg. I will drive this car till the wheels fall off. I expect to put on another 100,000 easily.

Definitely my favorite feature of this car is the mileage. It is awesome. I also like the position of the cupholders, and that they disappear when not in use. My hubby has a Hyundai Elantra and the cupholders are in such a place that you have to take your eyes off the road to grab your cup. Not in my Prizm! :) The back seat is roomy enough for anyone I've ever had in the car.

My only gripe about this car is that at the 11 year mark the weatherstripping around the windows started to crack off. It has made no difference not being there, tho. Also, the driver side visor will not stay up. I currently use a binder clip to keep it up, but have a replacement on order from eBay, which cost $20.

1999 Chevy Prizm - 4 Dr Base Model
By Ess Bee

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from a family member, with 14,000 mi. on it. I've followed the maintenance manual and have had NO problems! I've had to replace the tires, oil, spark plugs, serpentine belt and battery; the normal maintenance stuff. I had to have the A/C charged a few times - but that only $20. It now has 115,000 miles and has NEVER broken down. It's been a fabulous car! I was informed that it is really a TOYOTA COROLLA with a Chevy name plate on it. Chevrolet and Toyota entered into a Joint Venture and produced this wonderful, dependable car - I wouldn't have purchased it otherwise. And it's great on gas.

Great little car
By miles

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I just stepped up into my '99 prizm from a '97 ranger. The name Prizm doesnt inspire anything good, but this car far surpasses my expectations. It is a 5 speed stick and insanely fast for a 1.8 4 cyl, it is fun to drive and gets excellent gas mileage. I am a mechanic and I know a good car when I see one, this is by far the best car for the money, being a corolla, with unbeatable reliability. A great car.

Fun to drive, 5 speed stick, comfortable interior, good sounding stereo, fits in small spaces, excellent fuel economy, unkillable toyota in disguise.

Cup holder does block the radio, the body dings and dents easily, boring styling.

Amazing Car
By Jusamazed

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Bought it because it's actually a Toyota Corolla, minimally re-skinned, but all Toyota mechanicals. I drove it until 2005, then gave it to my son, who still has it. Fluid changes, tires, one battery, one fairly recent set of rear brake pads, that's it, and it's 10 year old this month, and still running like a top. It's still on it's first muffler, for goodness sakes.

Durability, low cost of ownership overall, including great gas mileage