1999 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
mine seems to be a piece of junk
By stacyinjax on 03/21/10 16:11 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for easy commuting for good fuel economy. It was essentially a Corolla. This means I thought I wouldn't have to put a bunch of cash into it for repairs. WRONG! I have only put 38,000 miles on it and have had to put brakes, a starter, new strut on it. Now the power steering is leaking and transmission are gone. And when I had it at the mechanic the door handle went. I'm so disappointed because I've maintained it. Not to mention that every time I put the air or heat on the noise from the blower is an annoying high pitched whistle! Get blown all over the highway,I'm an old lady and old lady blow by me. Just a hazard. I should have bought the Corolla.

1999 Prizm Lsi
By snoopsha1 on 10/31/09 04:11 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Bought this car at 150,000 miles in fall of 2008. The ONLY reason I don't have it now is cause a freakin' unoccupied moving truck backed into my poor baby while it was parked. I had to replace the motor mount and compressor. A few months later replaced the front brakes. The engine light stayed on, but I never had any serious issues (gas cap). When I got it scanned the first time it also said the 02 sensor needed replacing, but when I got it scanned again, it said nothing about the 02 sensor, so who knows? put about 14,000 miles on this car. The speakers up front blew, but everything mentioned is nothing too serious My only complaint would be space.

Greatest car ever built by Chevy
By Lovin It on 10/07/09 05:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for ten years with no problems. It now has 160,000 miles and still runs great. I have only had regular maintenance like oil changes, tires, brakes, etc. Drives great in the snow and rain- easy to handle. I absolutely love this car and really believe it will get another 100,000 at least. Wish they were still rolling off the assembly line.

cheap to own problem free!
By Al on 08/30/09 00:23 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

This sister to the corrola is a friend that never left me on the side of the road!Toyota at heart! I don't know how they do it! Yet I can't say how good it still runs at 85,000 miles! It still feels like i just broke it in- Unbelievable car!I bet I could get another 100,000 miles out of this rig!

Still runs great
By cjsacto on 08/03/09 20:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for eight years, and it is now ten years old. Mechanically, it has been completely reliable. Aside from a new battery four years ago, it has never hesitated to start. Good gas mileage, good acceleration. I've had some issues with alignment and uneven tire wear. However, there are some other problems. The inside door latch on the driver's side broke off, and I spoke to another owner of the same make who said theirs was broken, too AND they knew several other people with the problem. Mine has some sort of electrical problem; the electric windows don't roll back up right away, and the dummy lights and dome light burn out all the time.

Great Gas Mileage/Reliable Car
By Mike Steidemann on 09/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I have owned two Chevy Prizms. One was a 1998 automatic and the one I own now is the 1999 5 speed LSI. I liked both cars, but I found that the automatic only averaged about 30 MPG while the stickshift averaged about 32.5 miles per gallon. Both cars were very reliable for me. I would suggest either version for a budget tight driver. The Prizm was also built on the same line as the Toyota Corolla and they are basically the same car.

2nd Prism
By roedl161 on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Prism. My first lasted 10 years with no major problems. This Prism is now 4 years old and makes noises the last one didn't. I have also had it into my mechanic oftener for wobbles at higher speeds, a problem which has never been completely solved. Car just dosen't seem as well made as my first one. Thanks for this site to air opinions.

Reliable Car
By Sankrit on 05/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new in January 1999. It was custom built to my specifications. Except for regular oil change I had absolutely no problem with this car. It has been extremelt reliable.

Wonderful little car
By Jackpinejack on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

This is, after all, a Toyota Corolla with a Chevy badge, and I'm a Corolla nut. I just want a car that doesn't ever want or need to be fixed, and this Prizm/Corolla fits the bill. Too bad Chevy has dropped the line -- I guess they were embarassed that they junk-pile small models they make (I once owned a ghastly Vega) can't compare. Reliable Reliable Reliable.

Crash Survivor
By zmjh on 03/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I was recently the victim of a hit and run accident in my 1999 Prizm - hit broadside on the drivers side near the front wheel. I haven't seen the police report yet, but the impact was severe. The car is a total loss, but I think it saved my life. The car contracted like an accordion - absorbing the shock. The shoulder harness locked, preventing me from flying into the windshield, and the airbags deployed, giving my head a soft landing from the unavoidable forward movement. In short, I got out of the car without a scratch. If crash safety is your concern, I can certainly testify to my favorable experience.