Used 1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

mine seems to be a piece of junk
By stacyinjax

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for easy commuting for good fuel economy. It was essentially a Corolla. This means I thought I wouldn't have to put a bunch of cash into it for repairs. WRONG! I have only put 38,000 miles on it and have had to put brakes, a starter, new strut on it. Now the power steering is leaking and transmission are gone. And when I had it at the mechanic the door handle went. I'm so disappointed because I've maintained it. Not to mention that every time I put the air or heat on the noise from the blower is an annoying high pitched whistle! Get blown all over the highway,I'm an old lady and old lady blow by me. Just a hazard. I should have bought the Corolla.

1999 Prizm Lsi
By snoopsha1

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Bought this car at 150,000 miles in fall of 2008. The ONLY reason I don't have it now is cause a freakin' unoccupied moving truck backed into my poor baby while it was parked. I had to replace the motor mount and compressor. A few months later replaced the front brakes. The engine light stayed on, but I never had any serious issues (gas cap). When I got it scanned the first time it also said the 02 sensor needed replacing, but when I got it scanned again, it said nothing about the 02 sensor, so who knows? put about 14,000 miles on this car. The speakers up front blew, but everything mentioned is nothing too serious My only complaint would be space.

Mine had auto start and an mp3 player radio. Loved that I never had any major issues with the car. The only costly repair was the compressor and you don't NEED air conditioning. Didn't accelerate as quickly as I'd liked on the expressway, but it's just a 1.8 liter engine, so that's to be expected

Gas mileage wasn't as great towards the end. NOT ENOUGH SPACE. I have a child in a car seat, and her on top of her stroller and other accessories took up alot a room. Would definitely recommend if you don't have a child or have to haul around alot of crap.

Greatest car ever built by Chevy
By Lovin It

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for ten years with no problems. It now has 160,000 miles and still runs great. I have only had regular maintenance like oil changes, tires, brakes, etc. Drives great in the snow and rain- easy to handle. I absolutely love this car and really believe it will get another 100,000 at least. Wish they were still rolling off the assembly line.

none

cheap to own problem free!
By Al

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

This sister to the corrola is a friend that never left me on the side of the road!Toyota at heart! I don't know how they do it! Yet I can't say how good it still runs at 85,000 miles! It still feels like i just broke it in- Unbelievable car!I bet I could get another 100,000 miles out of this rig!

The cluch is a little hard to get used to-yet the 5 speed stick acts more like a V-6 instead of a 4cyl.!

How do you improve on a car that has never let you down?Just keep giving us more of the same Toyota! NO major work since the day I bought at 20,000 miles used!What more could I ask for?

Still runs great
By cjsacto

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for eight years, and it is now ten years old. Mechanically, it has been completely reliable. Aside from a new battery four years ago, it has never hesitated to start. Good gas mileage, good acceleration. I've had some issues with alignment and uneven tire wear. However, there are some other problems. The inside door latch on the driver's side broke off, and I spoke to another owner of the same make who said theirs was broken, too AND they knew several other people with the problem. Mine has some sort of electrical problem; the electric windows don't roll back up right away, and the dummy lights and dome light burn out all the time.

Excellent acceleration. Completely dependable.

Cheap fittings, like the door handle, cup holder, plastic trim around the windows is falling apart.