1998 Chevrolet Prizm Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

1998 Prizm Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Sort Reviews by

Good car, cheap ride
By Pastor Kim

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've beat my 1998 Prizm to death, with a lot of stop and go city driving, and have not taken care of it very well---- I manage to change the oil about every 5,000 miles, and once in a while I run it through a car wash----that's about it. I have had no major problems with the car. I plan to drive it till it dies. With an end of the year rebate and a GM card accumulation of dollars, I paid $10,000 for this basic car----5 speed, AC, AM/FM, RWD, and that's about it for "frills". Still, it gets me where I'm going. I probably would buy another one.

Favorite Features

cheap and dependable

Suggested Improvements

more space inside; lift it off the ground a little bit

Crusin' in my Priz'm'
By PrizmLover

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I love Prizms! They're a smart buy for those whose priorities are reliability and fuel economy. My first car was a '95 Prizm. It was beautiful and purple. It died tragically in a head- on collision, and I'm still getting over the loss. My '98 does fill in well, though I have had to take it in a couple of times (under warranty) for an airbag light and a minor emmissions problem. Buy Prizms, they rock (though you'll have to buy used because Chevy is trying to get their small car buyers to drive Caviliers (YUCK!))!

Favorite Features

Reliability, fuel economy, purple color, and 5-speed stick

Suggested Improvements

Keep making these cars!

Everything I had hoped for and more!
By Eli Herron

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I purchased my car in November of 2001. I love it! I had to replace the tires shortly after I bought it, but they were inexpensive. I drive it all over Arizona for work and I have no problems with it. I change the fluids religiously so I am sure that has alot to do with the performance. I highly recommend the car to anyone! Unless you are very tall. I am 5' 11'' and it fits me just fine.

great car
By thunderdan

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

Bought from a car rental. Working great ever since

Favorite Features

Can squeeze through traffic very nice and good fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

More leg room.

Wonderfully dependable
By choalb

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

For over 4 yrs, this car has been absolutely reliable--good mileage 34mpg with automatic transmission, no leaks, no rattles, relatively quiet on the freeway especially after I switched tires. Do regular maintenance and that's it. For me, I'm 5'8", the car is very comfortable.

Favorite Features

Reliability at its best.

Suggested Improvements

Not enough leg room for the back seat

Don't buy one of these
By Hate GM

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

Ths car was good the first two years then started to have alot of problems. Paint faded and chipped off, A/C went out, and transmission went out. If you're looking for a "throw-away" car this is it.

75,000 Miles and no problems.
By fridaynight

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

My husband and I bought this car b/c his uncle worked at NUMI where they are made and got us a great deal. We couldn't be happier. We haven't had a single problem with it. Nothing has broken on the inside and the engine is still running beautifully. Aside from your regularly scheduled maintenance/oil changes/tire rotation... we haven't had to put any extra $$ into the car at all. It's very reliable and you definitely get more than you paid for. It's not a luxury car, but it's great for commuting and people who drive a lot of miles.

Favorite Features

Interior lights automatically turn on when it gets darker. Integrated child safety seat. 4 whl ABS. Great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

None to date.

Solid But Bland
By Jim Of Oak Creek

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

The Cheverolet Prism is really a Toyota Corolla. Both cars come off the same assembly line in the Toyota/GM Plant in California. My wife has been the major driver since we bought it in 1998. The car performs adequately, gets great gas milage, and is extremely reliable. We have never had a problem with the car. The styling on the Prism/Corolla is quite bland, both inside and out. I am tall, 6'5", and can drive the car fine but it is a bit constraining. Over all, a good solid relaible car; a bit on the small side with bland syling.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Make it more roomy and more sporty.

55,000 miles and still going strong.
By JimNC

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I now have owned my 1998 Prizm since new and am very satified. It has never been to the dealer for a repair. Only gas, oil changes, and tires have been required. My only real compliant is the lack of legroom. Even with the seat all the way back I need another inch or so and I'm only 5'11". The ride is quiet and smooth for this size car - handling is a not very crisp. Average 30-31 MPG with 4-sp automatic. Not very exciting, but excellent basic transportation.

Favorite Features

Reliable, Excellent Build Quality

Suggested Improvements

Legroom. Factory tires poor.

old lady's car
By joeyjoejimbob

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have but 2 comment; this vehicle is for people who are not endowed with height or overly big because there is very little space between the two front seat occupants. This vehicle also lacks any type of pick-up and at times feels that there are 2 squirrels on a treadmill underneath the front hood.

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

everything; I suggest to trash the car's blueprints and to try again. this is what happens when a U.S. car manufacturer thinks like a japanese car manufacturer and ultimatly winds up with a piece of crap.