1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
I miss the older Prism
By gudly on 12/19/05 09:52 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I had a 94 and loved it. No problems, absolute dream even when traded it in with 182,000 miles on it because I needed a truck. My wife needed a car so we picked up another Prizm. This time a 98. The engine very good.300 Ride quality is wonderful. But It is far more cramped than the previous model and a lot of the plastic brakes easily We've replaced the driver side door handle 3 times. We've also replaced the starter already. But it gets us where we want to go, and it is very cheap to operate. Love the gas mileage

Super Reliable
By Michael MacLeod on 11/24/05 14:35 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased 2 months ago with 186K (one owner) on it, but you'd never know it. Body replaced head cover gasket, rear brakes & p.s. hoses. It runs great, gets 24-27 city. No trips yet but expect 35+. I'm 6'-3" and 270#, so it's a bit cramped to get in (wish it was higher off ground) but comfortable once inside. Plenty of head and leg room - I can actually stretch my left leg (bad knee) all the way out!! (No can do on 80% of other cars.) Radio speaker blocked by my leg. Plenty of pickup for my needs, GEO Prizms have 1.6L not 1.8L, you can really tell the difference, and with better MPG! (29-36 EPA) Auto trans. shifts very smoothly. Only thing not working is dome light - I must do manually

Excellent Commuter Car
By WNY Driver on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new; now have 105K miles. Had to reset air bag sensor 2x. Front brakes lasted until 100K miles & rear brakes not yet worked. This has been great no-frills reliable transportation. 5 Speed provides great gas mileage - consistent 38+ mph in the summer 32mph in the cold winter. 5 speed also allows for adequate acceleration when needed. Under load (> 2 people) need to delay shifting if you're merging onto a hwy. With rear passengers rear end tends to bottom out easily. Front room comfortable for someone up to 5'10; beyond that it gets cramped. Rear room gets tight for anyone over 4'. Body still holding up well after 7 lovely winters.

Keeps Running
By DJ-123 on 08/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

So far so good. Reliability is the key.

Solid car
By jtgumby on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Because gasoline use is the single biggest environmental impact for most Americans, I was looking for a fuel- efficient vehicle. Leased it new, then bought it at end of lease. With 5 speed manual it accelerates adequately. I put on optional fatter tires when factory tires wore out, which improved handling. Only real problem has been Evap canister purge valve going bad at 50000 miles, but this is an emissions problem. Doesn't affect mileage or driveability at all.

reliable drive
By logansbounty on 03/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

This 98 Prizm came with 95k miles of which 90% were highway miles. The car was serviced with replacement of auto trans fluid and coolant and serpentine belt. The car is a very useful comuter and very comfortable seating and large trunk for a compact. Mileage was found to be only 26 on highway. I found the dealer had installed the wrong spark plugs. The car is typical toyota quality but a bit cheap in construction when compared to a Dodge neon which seemed more solid. Yet for dependability it has proven itself. I doubt I would buy another because of the cheezie construction, but as it is Chevy quit offering the model. To reliable!

Get's Me Where I Want to Go, Every time
By oldcrewjock on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan 4dr Sedan

Prizm is a good, reliable, cheap ride. Bought it new as a stripper, commuter car. No options except a rear window defogger, an AM-FM radio, and a tachometer. Good highway gas mileage (30 mpg in winter and 37 in summer). Around town mileage could be better (24 mpg winter and 28 summer). Had very few repairs. Fairly easy to change oil and oil filter. Has 81K miles now. Intend to keep it till it dies, hopefully when it reaches 200K. Peppy acceleration for a 4 cylinder. Teenage daughter has been trying to claim the car for her own. She has begun driving it to school.

Mt Runner
By mt goat on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I have the Lsi with power moon roof, manual 5 spd. This is everything I have been looking for. I was impressed by the power because the first thing I did was floor it up a huge hill. I drive it up to a ski resort every Sunday in winter where I'm on the ski patrol. I haven't had a problem on icy roads and I love the gas milage.

Solid Car
By prizmrus on 12/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

Have over 108K miles and going strong. Have only had to replace brakes, clutch, tires, oil changes etc. No major repair work. My prizm is loaded with moonroof, alloy tires, 5 sp manual compensates for 4 cyl engine and sluggishness expressed by automatic trans owners. I get 38 mpg and drive 18k per year so this car saves bucks on gas and maintenance. Open the moon roof, crank the cd player and look out this baby can fly ...

Reliability Rocks
By Happy Prizm Driver on 11/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm Sedan LSi 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 98 Prizm Lsi with 56,000 miles on it. I've put about 14,000 miles on it since and it has been a great car. I got 35.9 mpg on the highway with 4 adults and a trunk PACKED with luggage, and this car doesn't even have the overdrive transmission. Rock solid reliability, according to most online consumer guides. My Prizm has some vibration over 65 mph, which did not disappear after buying new tires and having them balanced. Try to find a Prizm with the overdrive, so you're not buzzing so hard when driving highway speeds.