Used 1998 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Prizm

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Keeps going
By Mommybug

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

We are approaching the 200,000 mile mark and this car has been very reliable at getting us around, even when the Denver winters hit. Our air conditioner just went out for the 2nd time (1st was under warranty), and we've had to replace several of the original parts as they just get old, but nothing unexpected with a car this age. I wish the clear coat on the paint had lasted longer as it doesn't look as nice anymore. The fabric on the seats has held up well, but the interior roof fabric has not. I also agree that the car handles have shown a bit of weakness, though we've only had to replace the driver side once. Power window fixed once, too.

Favorite Features

Reliability, safety, and fuel economy. This car has been very inexpensive to own and reliable enough that we could get by with one car. When it was new, I loved that it had power windows. The cruise control has kept hubby out of speeding tickets.

Suggested Improvements

Better paint job to hold up longer. Make this reliable, safe model available again!

You cannot kill my Prizm
By Shawn

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

This is a completely honest review of my 1998 Prizm. The bad: -boring look -less than expected 4 cylinder pep -awful body roll on corners -a lot of rattles on bumpy road at 170,000 -way to loud at any speed over 70 mph the good: -unbelievable reliability -quality parts-quality -comfortable ride at 65 mph -Superior gas mileage -not a bad size overall inside -easy dash layout my Prizm refuses to die. I bought it with 150,000 miles currently has 170,000. I have done nothing but change plugs and fluid, air filter. I Punch this car at every stop, it shifts smooth every time. Engine is not bad at all performance wise for its mileage. Don't be afraid to buy one with high miles! Commuters<----buy!

Favorite Features

-Gas mileage -Reliability -Small, easy to drive -Does everything i need to do -Starts, runs, shifts the same every single day. -Peppy engine -Commute 80 miles 5 days a week. No problems

Suggested Improvements

-Cruise Control! -Buy one with a 4 speed, i have the three speed auto and its super loud on the highway. Good job Toyota! Chevy obviously can take no credit for this vehicle considering the only Chevy part in it broke at 150,000-Ac Compressor. Next one i buy will be a 2001 Corolla with pw,pl,cruise

Reliable
By cory

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Very reliable car. Only issues have been changing the oxygen sensor, but other than that it runs great and is fuel efficient.

Great car
By Mauigirl

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought my '98 Prizm in 2005 for $4000. It had about 60,000 miles on it then. It now has 130,000 miles on it. It has been the best buy, the most reliable car. Interesting to read the other reviews about the door handles snapping off. Mine has done the same and I am unable to find the replacement part. The Chevy dealer is asking $200 for it. The A/C recently went out so I may consider selling as I live on Maui, although I'm tempted to see how long I can keep it running! Just wanted to add my two cents about this car. I have loved it and it has been very good to me!

Great 1st Car
By J.Debs

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

My little car has 160,000 miles & it's going strong. A few things have gone awry such as I had to replace the starter shortly after I bought it (it had 105k miles when I got it in 2006), the front passenger door handle broke and so did the AC but it's been a great first car. No engine problems at all. It does eat oil fast which is annoying to refill so often. I get anywhere from 31-34 mpg. I've taken it on many long distance trips and it's always a joy to drive.

Favorite Features

The cloth seats are so comfy. The heater heats up fast. Love the rear defrost.

Suggested Improvements

Sleeker body and inside that isn't made of plastic.