1998 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
Love my Prizm
By deb on 12/18/08 17:27 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Updating the review I wrote 2 years ago. We now have about 238,000 miles on her. She is still going strong. Had the a/c fixed for about $1200 and the only other thing we have had done is the radiator replaced since last review. We love this car! Excellent quality as far as engine performance goes.

This is my 3rd one! Keep on buying them
By This is my 3rd one.. on 09/23/08 11:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

This is the 3rd Prism I've bought new. I used to buy a new one every 2 -3 yrs with an 84/day commute. Since I done have the drive anymore, I am driving this one til it dies. I have 130k and have never had anything serious to repair. A new battery, tires and just today a new starter. I had to repair 2 of the doors and one of the electric locks doesn't work. I would definitely buy another Prism!

What's with the driver side window?
By Hecktor on 09/17/08 15:50 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought a 94 Prizm new and love it. So when my brother in law died, I bought his 98 Prizm. The 98 had power windows. The driver's side window broke, so my wife had it repaired, and it broke again. My paralegal has a 2000 Prizm with power windows, and her driver's side window broke as well. My 94 had manual windows, so no problem there. I love the car, but it's hell at the drive through windows at the bank and McDonald's.

Supe Reliable Car!
By SUPER RELIABLE CAR on 10/14/07 19:24 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new. This car has given me over 265,000 miles of nearly trouble free service—what more can you ask of a car? The only things I've replaced other than regular maintenance are the a/c condenser at 175,000 and an exhaust part connected to catalytic converter and radio. As well as 3 out of 4 door handles. This car has a 5-speed manual with the original clutch and still gets 37 mpg on the highway at average speed of 80 mph!

Reliable Car
By Andy on 09/08/07 11:19 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I enjoy driving my Prizm. Have only performed routine maintenance like tires and brakes in the two years since purchasing. Paid $3,500 for the car and still books around same price over two years later.

113,000 Miles and Going
By DMR on 09/01/07 19:19 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

Prizm was a Corrola made at the GM/Toyota NUMMI j/v in Long Beach, CA. It depreciates faster because it doesn't have the Toyota nameplate. Still quality: that's why I got it - and the decision paid off. I bought my 1998 Prizm LSI from Hertz for $9k in May 2001 with 28,000 miles on it. Biggest repair was A/C for ~$1500. The inside driver door handle breaks reliably every two years - that's the GM contribution. Passenger window motor needed replacing. Replaced the hose for power steering today. But, really, these repairs are not out of line for 90k of driving. With all that, it runs fine, is in good shape, gives me 28 mpg. 200k? I'll write a another review if we get there.

Wore out over the long haul
By Sam S. on 02/19/07 20:17 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

This car had pretty good reliability, but the real flaw was the interior. It really did not wear well, and started to fall apart after about 5-6 years. his included problems such as the stripping around the doors peeling off, and all of the interior door handles breaking. The air conditioning went out at about 6 years too, which is a pain. Engine wise this car never gave me any trouble, which I assume has to do with it being a Toyota engine. Just beware that though the Chevy Prizms are made by Toyota, much of the body is made and assembled by Chevy.

Love my Prizm
By deb on 10/28/06 08:49 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

We bought this car new. Pushing 190K miles and still going strong. Only work we've had done is and alternator/battery and routine service. All other existing problems are just irritating small things that don't involve engine reliability. A/C no longer works ($2K to fix). This is the best and most reliable car I've ever had. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Looking to replace it only because of A/C but keeping it as a "winter car" to reduce miles on new one.

Decent car, but lacking in some areas
By Joe Broge on 05/03/06 11:33 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 73k miles on it after my old Hyundai got totalled. Since the Prizm/Corolla has a reputation for reliability I thought it was a safe bet. Overall the car has always gotten me where I needed to go and it has never stranded me anywhere. Unfortunately a few aspects of the car bring the whole thing down. Shortly after I bought the car the A/C stopped working. The A/C compressor had gone bad and the whole system needed replacing to the tune of $1800.

I miss the older Prism
By gudly on 12/19/05 09:52 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I had a 94 and loved it. No problems, absolute dream even when traded it in with 182,000 miles on it because I needed a truck. My wife needed a car so we picked up another Prizm. This time a 98. The engine very good.300 Ride quality is wonderful. But It is far more cramped than the previous model and a lot of the plastic brakes easily We've replaced the driver side door handle 3 times. We've also replaced the starter already. But it gets us where we want to go, and it is very cheap to operate. Love the gas mileage