1998 Chevrolet Prizm - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:
You cannot kill my Prizm
By Shawn on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

This is a completely honest review of my 1998 Prizm. The bad: -boring look -less than expected 4 cylinder pep -awful body roll on corners -a lot of rattles on bumpy road at 170,000 -way to loud at any speed over 70 mph the good: -unbelievable reliability -quality parts-quality -comfortable ride at 65 mph -Superior gas mileage -not a bad size overall inside -easy dash layout my Prizm refuses to die. I bought it with 150,000 miles currently has 170,000. I have done nothing but change plugs and fluid, air filter. I Punch this car at every stop, it shifts smooth every time. Engine is not bad at all performance wise for its mileage. Don't be afraid to buy one with high miles! Commuters<----buy!

Great 1st Car
By J.Debs on 04/24/09 21:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

My little car has 160,000 miles & it's going strong. A few things have gone awry such as I had to replace the starter shortly after I bought it (it had 105k miles when I got it in 2006), the front passenger door handle broke and so did the AC but it's been a great first car. No engine problems at all. It does eat oil fast which is annoying to refill so often. I get anywhere from 31-34 mpg. I've taken it on many long distance trips and it's always a joy to drive.

This is my 3rd one! Keep on buying them
By This is my 3rd one.. on 09/23/08 11:39 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

This is the 3rd Prism I've bought new. I used to buy a new one every 2 -3 yrs with an 84/day commute. Since I done have the drive anymore, I am driving this one til it dies. I have 130k and have never had anything serious to repair. A new battery, tires and just today a new starter. I had to repair 2 of the doors and one of the electric locks doesn't work. I would definitely buy another Prism!

Super Reliable
By Michael MacLeod on 11/24/05 14:35 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Purchased 2 months ago with 186K (one owner) on it, but you'd never know it. Body replaced head cover gasket, rear brakes & p.s. hoses. It runs great, gets 24-27 city. No trips yet but expect 35+. I'm 6'-3" and 270#, so it's a bit cramped to get in (wish it was higher off ground) but comfortable once inside. Plenty of head and leg room - I can actually stretch my left leg (bad knee) all the way out!! (No can do on 80% of other cars.) Radio speaker blocked by my leg. Plenty of pickup for my needs, GEO Prizms have 1.6L not 1.8L, you can really tell the difference, and with better MPG! (29-36 EPA) Auto trans. shifts very smoothly. Only thing not working is dome light - I must do manually

Excellent Commuter Car
By WNY Driver on 09/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new; now have 105K miles. Had to reset air bag sensor 2x. Front brakes lasted until 100K miles & rear brakes not yet worked. This has been great no-frills reliable transportation. 5 Speed provides great gas mileage - consistent 38+ mph in the summer 32mph in the cold winter. 5 speed also allows for adequate acceleration when needed. Under load (> 2 people) need to delay shifting if you're merging onto a hwy. With rear passengers rear end tends to bottom out easily. Front room comfortable for someone up to 5'10; beyond that it gets cramped. Rear room gets tight for anyone over 4'. Body still holding up well after 7 lovely winters.

Solid car
By jtgumby on 05/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Because gasoline use is the single biggest environmental impact for most Americans, I was looking for a fuel- efficient vehicle. Leased it new, then bought it at end of lease. With 5 speed manual it accelerates adequately. I put on optional fatter tires when factory tires wore out, which improved handling. Only real problem has been Evap canister purge valve going bad at 50000 miles, but this is an emissions problem. Doesn't affect mileage or driveability at all.

Get's Me Where I Want to Go, Every time
By oldcrewjock on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Prizm is a good, reliable, cheap ride. Bought it new as a stripper, commuter car. No options except a rear window defogger, an AM-FM radio, and a tachometer. Good highway gas mileage (30 mpg in winter and 37 in summer). Around town mileage could be better (24 mpg winter and 28 summer). Had very few repairs. Fairly easy to change oil and oil filter. Has 81K miles now. Intend to keep it till it dies, hopefully when it reaches 200K. Peppy acceleration for a 4 cylinder. Teenage daughter has been trying to claim the car for her own. She has begun driving it to school.

Good car, cheap ride
By Pastor Kim on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I've beat my 1998 Prizm to death, with a lot of stop and go city driving, and have not taken care of it very well---- I manage to change the oil about every 5,000 miles, and once in a while I run it through a car wash----that's about it. I have had no major problems with the car. I plan to drive it till it dies. With an end of the year rebate and a GM card accumulation of dollars, I paid $10,000 for this basic car----5 speed, AC, AM/FM, RWD, and that's about it for "frills". Still, it gets me where I'm going. I probably would buy another one.

Crusin' in my Priz'm'
By PrizmLover on 01/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I love Prizms! They're a smart buy for those whose priorities are reliability and fuel economy. My first car was a '95 Prizm. It was beautiful and purple. It died tragically in a head- on collision, and I'm still getting over the loss. My '98 does fill in well, though I have had to take it in a couple of times (under warranty) for an airbag light and a minor emmissions problem. Buy Prizms, they rock (though you'll have to buy used because Chevy is trying to get their small car buyers to drive Caviliers (YUCK!))!

old lady's car
By joeyjoejimbob on 05/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I have but 2 comment; this vehicle is for people who are not endowed with height or overly big because there is very little space between the two front seat occupants. This vehicle also lacks any type of pick-up and at times feels that there are 2 squirrels on a treadmill underneath the front hood.