2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Review: SS Muscle is Back

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Review

SS Muscle is Back
By Patrick on

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am very pleased by the performance and handling of this FWD "muscle car" from GM. The ride is very civilized, however the seats are not well bolstered. GM removed about $1500 worth of optional equipment, such as the guage package, leather shifter and boot, and the passenger power seat (to mention a few). I found my 2003 SS to be more comfortable. If they had just left the creature comforts alone, and just added the V-8 and changed the front clip styling, they would have hit a home run. I get between 30 and 35 mpg on the highway/9-12 mpg in city driving. It is touchy keeping the DOD in 4 cyl. mode, but that does improve fuel economy by about 20%.

I added stripes for a sporty ppearance reminiscent of the 1970 Chevelle SS, "SS" stitching on the headrests like the Impala, and I replaced the "truck wheels" with a set of Z06 Corvette styled wheels, that all grab the attention of onlookers.

GM should have just left the car alone, apart from adding the LS4 engine and changing the front clip styling. Offer a set of stylish wheels and a two option preset for the power seats. And, rear wheel drive would help. Then I wouldn't have to answer the FAQ "Is it rear wheel drive?"