Used 2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

06 Monte Carlo SS LS4
By roryreview

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I was looking for a new car, test drove 08 Mustang GT, 10 Camaro SS & Challenger RT. The Monte SS by far was the most fun to drive, I really didn't expect anything from it. After the test drive I put money down to hold the car, I knew it was a winner. I am not saying this car would burn these others in a race but the acceleration on the SS made me instantly want it. When you step on the gas the HP goes right to the wheels, no delay. No one understands just how fast these LS4's are until they are behind the drivers seat. Even if your not in it for speed, it is a very comfortable car to drive in.The best part of my day is coming & going to work.

The SS has all the bells & whistles, sunroof, heated seats, leather bucket seats & a killer sound system. The fuel management system allows you to get 25-30 miles a gallon if you dive like a saint but the car screams for you to step on it! Also you can actually fit people in the back seat, major plus. Other coupes are a joke with the back seats, almost pointless to have them. FWD helps if your using the Monte SS as an everyday driver, the SS cuts through bad weather like a steak knife through warm butter. Before the Monte I was driving a 01 Camaro, big difference in handling.

My advice to all 06-07 SS owners, throw a couple of Flowmaster 10's on the back at minimum, the SS engine sounds like a damn hurricane coming down the street.

Qalking
By alan

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought my monte ss brand new in 06. Was very disappointed today when transmission went out at only 70,000 miles. Made me think I was driving a dodge. That's 3000 dollars I wasn't ready to spend.

Satisfied
By 06Monte

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Monte new while I worked at the dealership. The first 50,000 miles had very few problems with it. The only really thing was that I blew a power steering line and the junk tire pressure sensors. I had the keyless entry system (which reads the tire pressure sensors) replaced twice. And numerous amounts of sensors replaced before it fixed itself. After 50,000 the GMPP warranty paid for itself. Had control arms, wheel bearings, and tie rods replaced all at once. Had oil rings in the engine seize and had 8 new pistons and rings installed. Trust me I take care of this car! Nothing but 92+ octane and synthetic oil every 5,000 miles. All maintanence performed regularly.

The car has a very smooth ride! Once a month I travel from Philly to Akron, OH and with the XM it makes a quick drive! Plenty of power for passing and going through the mountains when your there!

GM really needs to reconsider the tire pressure monitor system. In the 4 years I owned this car it has been in the shop 14 times for something related to that system. But, like any other die-hard GM enthusiast, it would have been nice to see a rwd manual monte! Gives us something to hope for!

SS - MOST FUN IN YEARS
By Scott

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It was like a mid-life crisis buy and definitely don't regret it! Absolute blast to drive. Comfortable even for my 6'3" height. Put on performance exhaust and sounds amazing. DOD actually works.

Engine and styling plus a very limited production vehicle

more interior storage

I LOVE this car!!!!
By Cathy

2006 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I recently bought a 2006 Monte Carlo SS and couldn't be happier. This car is fun to drive. It's a BEAST really!! I was worried about gas, seeing its a v8, but those worries went away. I drive mostly highway, and it's excellent on gas. I love how this car looks, inside and out. My old car was a 02 Grand Prix GT (2 door) and this car is very similar, except with a lot more power. Chevy did a great job with the 06-07 models, and I couldn't be happier!! =]

The economy gas saver, the 5.3L v8! Big wheels