Used 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Most Helpful|
Better than Most
By Saigashooter

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

A nice car for a single person, or to just have fun in from time to time. The 3.8 NA V6 is easy on gas but still has some giddy up, though a stock 4.3 or larger V6 would be nice. The car is large though it doesn't handle like a boat. Transmission is a weak point if you have a bad habit of laying rubber at intersections, though it is mostly due to a poorly built throttle position sensor, which causes whining between 2k and 3K rpm The car certainly looks different than any domestic or import sedan or coupe, and people will comment on it. The interior is nice, though some owners report gaps between the glovebox and dash. The rubber treatment on the interior needs to go, as it wears easily.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine on 3.8NA and 3.8SC models Traction control works great Throwback interior and exterior styling XM radio is equipped on some models Steering wheel radio controls Super comfortable leather interior Gorgeous exterior styling Oil and serpentine belt changes are easy Confident at high speeds

Suggested Improvements

Goodyear Eagle RSA tires that are OEM are garbage Would benefit from a V8 option package No manual transmission Front wheel drive is great for bad weather, but RWD would be more fun Cupholder inserts tend to stick to any beverage container they are used to hold Rubberized interior parts wear poorly

After 5 years
By wes

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Very comfy seats, Paint color is awesome/Laser Blue but the paint chipped real easy from hwy. rocks. A/C doesn't cool enough because of the hot dash. I had my windows tinted, Rides good/XM/ON STAR

Favorite Features

Very soft seats/softer than my Mom's Lexus' seats. Heated seats, helps my lower back

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic/ more cup holders. Dash is way to hot while driving

Nice car!
By nissianjeff

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Looks good, inside and out. Love the light Gold color! Stereo sounds great! Comfy ride, in town or on Freeway. I did however have an issue with the headlights not working at night, while the day running lights DID still work. It needed a new multi function switch. Rather pricy part! The read tail light lens are getting full of hair line cracks in em too. That dont look to good, will have to replce soon I recon? Good milage! Friends all like it too. Good cold duel control AC, nice! Power everything! The fuel gage now is acting a lil squirlly. Dont always read right. I'm being told it may need a whole new instrument cluster. Also told, thats NOT cheap either! All in all though, love this car!

Favorite Features

The style of the body. The sound system. The QUITE confortable ride!

Suggested Improvements

Better rear tail light lens, that dont get all the lil hair line cracks in em. More dependable multi function/bright light switch! I hear that is a very common problem on these!!

Almost Perfect
By mcd1995

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My 2005 SS Monte Carlo was my personal dream car for my price range. After bypassing the 2004 Mustang Cobra because of price, I picked the Monte up used with 30k miles for just $13,000 and I'm loving it. The interior is very sleek, contrary to the Edmund's review. Trunk is HUGE and there's good interior space. The car itself gets a lot of looks. I'm now at 42k miles and have no major mechanical problems. Like most, I think Chevy ruined the Monte by not making it a manual RWD. Still, the monte can easily reach 300HP with $1400 in mods. I've used these mods, so I basically paid $14400 for about 310 HP, great styling, and comfort. Great deal.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats, Moon Roof, Decent Gas mileage for a supercharged full-size car, styling, reliable and easily upgradeable engine if you seek more performance.

Suggested Improvements

Would have been perfect if it was Manual RWD, More solid panel assembly (Plastic on interior door handle rubs and squeaks).

2005 Monte Carlo LS
By Dan

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my monte over 4 years ago used with about 20,000 miles, now I have a little over 123,000 miles and it still runs like new. I have had a few problems minor problems but i have spent less than $500 in repairs in over 100,000 miles. The car has good acceleration for passing and is fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The stereo is great. This is the only car that I have ever had that I did not swap out all speakers and head unit.

Suggested Improvements

The back seats have plenty of leg room, but it would be nice if the power seats would move forward automatically when folded for rear seat entry.