Used 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Almost Perfect
By mcd1995

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My 2005 SS Monte Carlo was my personal dream car for my price range. After bypassing the 2004 Mustang Cobra because of price, I picked the Monte up used with 30k miles for just $13,000 and I'm loving it. The interior is very sleek, contrary to the Edmund's review. Trunk is HUGE and there's good interior space. The car itself gets a lot of looks. I'm now at 42k miles and have no major mechanical problems. Like most, I think Chevy ruined the Monte by not making it a manual RWD. Still, the monte can easily reach 300HP with $1400 in mods. I've used these mods, so I basically paid $14400 for about 310 HP, great styling, and comfort. Great deal.

Heated Seats, Moon Roof, Decent Gas mileage for a supercharged full-size car, styling, reliable and easily upgradeable engine if you seek more performance.

Would have been perfect if it was Manual RWD, More solid panel assembly (Plastic on interior door handle rubs and squeaks).

Better than Most
By Saigashooter

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

A nice car for a single person, or to just have fun in from time to time. The 3.8 NA V6 is easy on gas but still has some giddy up, though a stock 4.3 or larger V6 would be nice. The car is large though it doesn't handle like a boat. Transmission is a weak point if you have a bad habit of laying rubber at intersections, though it is mostly due to a poorly built throttle position sensor, which causes whining between 2k and 3K rpm The car certainly looks different than any domestic or import sedan or coupe, and people will comment on it. The interior is nice, though some owners report gaps between the glovebox and dash. The rubber treatment on the interior needs to go, as it wears easily.

Peppy engine on 3.8NA and 3.8SC models Traction control works great Throwback interior and exterior styling XM radio is equipped on some models Steering wheel radio controls Super comfortable leather interior Gorgeous exterior styling Oil and serpentine belt changes are easy Confident at high speeds

Goodyear Eagle RSA tires that are OEM are garbage Would benefit from a V8 option package No manual transmission Front wheel drive is great for bad weather, but RWD would be more fun Cupholder inserts tend to stick to any beverage container they are used to hold Rubberized interior parts wear poorly

Not up to snuff
By Disapointed2005

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new and liked it until the factory warranty expired. My car has average at least two trips to the shop since the day I bought it. I have had to replace a rear wheel bearing and a water pump at my expense. There is a very troubling sound coming from the drive train currently. The car is comfortable and pretty easy on gas. I like the exterior styling.

XM radio, spacious trunk, and fairly sporty handling for a full size car.

Chevy needs to make significant improvements the build quality of their cars.

05 LT 3.8
By buckshot

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The exterior styling is an acquired taste, but I think it looks great, retro enough to turn heads but not too much. The deep laser blue paint looks great, and has held up very well thus far. Interior is roomy, all controls are easily reached from the drivers seat. The glove box is the only flaw, it isn't fitted tightly enough under the dashboard, and there is an ugly gap. The leather seats are very comfortable, and the heating element does an amazing job. The 3.8l V6 provides OK power, but a v8 with a RWD setup would be best. First gear seems bit sluggish, car would greatly benefit fron a manual trans, or 5 speed auto. handling is OK, the car does roll have body roll, and needs a sway bar.

Leather interior. Exterior design. Sound system. Performance. Fuel economy

V8 option. RWD platform. Manual transmission. Interior build

My Baby
By Barnzy

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Leased my LT (3.8) new in Feb 05 and bought it when the lease expired. I now have 41K on the odometer and the car looks, and drives every bit as good as it did when I first got it. A smooth, quite ride; and exceptional acceleration and steering response. Fuel consumption was disappointing at first, but improved considerably after about 20K. I now average 24 mpg in town, and 30 on the highway. I consider this exceptional for a 3.8 engine and a car this size. This style Monte Carlo is sure to become a classic, and I hope to keep mine for many years to come.

Space behind the console to rest your right foot when driving in cruise control mode.

Too late now, but I wish the front passenger seat had six-way power like the driver's seat does.