Used 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Nice car!
By nissianjeff

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Looks good, inside and out. Love the light Gold color! Stereo sounds great! Comfy ride, in town or on Freeway. I did however have an issue with the headlights not working at night, while the day running lights DID still work. It needed a new multi function switch. Rather pricy part! The read tail light lens are getting full of hair line cracks in em too. That dont look to good, will have to replce soon I recon? Good milage! Friends all like it too. Good cold duel control AC, nice! Power everything! The fuel gage now is acting a lil squirlly. Dont always read right. I'm being told it may need a whole new instrument cluster. Also told, thats NOT cheap either! All in all though, love this car!

Favorite Features

The style of the body. The sound system. The QUITE confortable ride!

Suggested Improvements

Better rear tail light lens, that dont get all the lil hair line cracks in em. More dependable multi function/bright light switch! I hear that is a very common problem on these!!

After 5 years
By wes

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Very comfy seats, Paint color is awesome/Laser Blue but the paint chipped real easy from hwy. rocks. A/C doesn't cool enough because of the hot dash. I had my windows tinted, Rides good/XM/ON STAR

Favorite Features

Very soft seats/softer than my Mom's Lexus' seats. Heated seats, helps my lower back

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic/ more cup holders. Dash is way to hot while driving

2005 Monte Carlo Supercharged SS
By Eva

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought my Monte SS used, but let me tell you it is a sweetheart. I am a middle aged woman who loves to drive fast. I have no problem holding the go pedal to the floor. Its also amuses me to shut off the traction control on the console and smoke the heck out of the front tires, some times I have to take off my high heels to make sure the pedal is completely pushed to the floor and I also like the feeling of power going up my leg driving in my stocking feet. Totally awesome car!!

Favorite Features

Heated seats because I wear alot of dresses

Suggested Improvements

More HP, Rev Limiter cuts out at 115 mph or soo

Almost Perfect
By mcd1995

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My 2005 SS Monte Carlo was my personal dream car for my price range. After bypassing the 2004 Mustang Cobra because of price, I picked the Monte up used with 30k miles for just $13,000 and I'm loving it. The interior is very sleek, contrary to the Edmund's review. Trunk is HUGE and there's good interior space. The car itself gets a lot of looks. I'm now at 42k miles and have no major mechanical problems. Like most, I think Chevy ruined the Monte by not making it a manual RWD. Still, the monte can easily reach 300HP with $1400 in mods. I've used these mods, so I basically paid $14400 for about 310 HP, great styling, and comfort. Great deal.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats, Moon Roof, Decent Gas mileage for a supercharged full-size car, styling, reliable and easily upgradeable engine if you seek more performance.

Suggested Improvements

Would have been perfect if it was Manual RWD, More solid panel assembly (Plastic on interior door handle rubs and squeaks).

Not pleased with this one
By Got a lemon

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I'm not very pleased with my 2005 Monte Carlo. I would love to get rid of it, but it has not held its resale value and I owe too much on it. I have owned it for 3 years and it has been in the shop and been worked on 7 times. The belts an pulleys keep breaking. The steering shaft has also went out on it. I work from home and do not drive it everyday and it has been well maintained it only has 28,000 miles on it for a 3 year old car. My dash is also coming apart. I will not buy another one and I will be getting rid of this one as soon as possible.

Favorite Features

I do like all the extra features as far as the heated seats, built in phone and garage door openers.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy needs to upgrade their interior, the inside of this car is cheap made.