Used 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Better than Most
By Saigashooter

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

A nice car for a single person, or to just have fun in from time to time. The 3.8 NA V6 is easy on gas but still has some giddy up, though a stock 4.3 or larger V6 would be nice. The car is large though it doesn't handle like a boat. Transmission is a weak point if you have a bad habit of laying rubber at intersections, though it is mostly due to a poorly built throttle position sensor, which causes whining between 2k and 3K rpm The car certainly looks different than any domestic or import sedan or coupe, and people will comment on it. The interior is nice, though some owners report gaps between the glovebox and dash. The rubber treatment on the interior needs to go, as it wears easily.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine on 3.8NA and 3.8SC models Traction control works great Throwback interior and exterior styling XM radio is equipped on some models Steering wheel radio controls Super comfortable leather interior Gorgeous exterior styling Oil and serpentine belt changes are easy Confident at high speeds

Suggested Improvements

Goodyear Eagle RSA tires that are OEM are garbage Would benefit from a V8 option package No manual transmission Front wheel drive is great for bad weather, but RWD would be more fun Cupholder inserts tend to stick to any beverage container they are used to hold Rubberized interior parts wear poorly

Not up to snuff
By Disapointed2005

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new and liked it until the factory warranty expired. My car has average at least two trips to the shop since the day I bought it. I have had to replace a rear wheel bearing and a water pump at my expense. There is a very troubling sound coming from the drive train currently. The car is comfortable and pretty easy on gas. I like the exterior styling.

Favorite Features

XM radio, spacious trunk, and fairly sporty handling for a full size car.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy needs to make significant improvements the build quality of their cars.

05 LT 3.8
By buckshot

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The exterior styling is an acquired taste, but I think it looks great, retro enough to turn heads but not too much. The deep laser blue paint looks great, and has held up very well thus far. Interior is roomy, all controls are easily reached from the drivers seat. The glove box is the only flaw, it isn't fitted tightly enough under the dashboard, and there is an ugly gap. The leather seats are very comfortable, and the heating element does an amazing job. The 3.8l V6 provides OK power, but a v8 with a RWD setup would be best. First gear seems bit sluggish, car would greatly benefit fron a manual trans, or 5 speed auto. handling is OK, the car does roll have body roll, and needs a sway bar.

Favorite Features

Leather interior. Exterior design. Sound system. Performance. Fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

V8 option. RWD platform. Manual transmission. Interior build

My Baby
By Barnzy

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Leased my LT (3.8) new in Feb 05 and bought it when the lease expired. I now have 41K on the odometer and the car looks, and drives every bit as good as it did when I first got it. A smooth, quite ride; and exceptional acceleration and steering response. Fuel consumption was disappointing at first, but improved considerably after about 20K. I now average 24 mpg in town, and 30 on the highway. I consider this exceptional for a 3.8 engine and a car this size. This style Monte Carlo is sure to become a classic, and I hope to keep mine for many years to come.

Favorite Features

Space behind the console to rest your right foot when driving in cruise control mode.

Suggested Improvements

Too late now, but I wish the front passenger seat had six-way power like the driver's seat does.

2005 Monte Carlo LT
By keaporsch1

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have extremely enjoyed my Monte Carlo. It is powerful, reliable, durable, and stylish. It handles awesome in snow and ice. So far, the most expensive repair has been a replacement instrument cluster. Ive had nothing but good times with my Monte. I plan on keeping it forever.

Favorite Features

Sport appearance package, dual exhaust, fog lamps, heated seats, radio control on steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

More color options-if Chevrolet brings the Monte back into production