2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Nice car!
By nissianjeff

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Looks good, inside and out. Love the light Gold color! Stereo sounds great! Comfy ride, in town or on Freeway. I did however have an issue with the headlights not working at night, while the day running lights DID still work. It needed a new multi function switch. Rather pricy part! The read tail light lens are getting full of hair line cracks in em too. That dont look to good, will have to replce soon I recon? Good milage! Friends all like it too. Good cold duel control AC, nice! Power everything! The fuel gage now is acting a lil squirlly. Dont always read right. I'm being told it may need a whole new instrument cluster. Also told, thats NOT cheap either! All in all though, love this car!

Favorite Features

The style of the body. The sound system. The QUITE confortable ride!

Suggested Improvements

Better rear tail light lens, that dont get all the lil hair line cracks in em. More dependable multi function/bright light switch! I hear that is a very common problem on these!!

Awesome car!
By Alex Stevenson

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a Certified Used Vehicle from Lithia in Alaska. From the sticker in the trunk and how it got shipped around, with a lack of winterization, I determined it was a rental until its 27000 miles, then was sent around to be sold. Its currently at 58000 miles. The car is great. I love how it doesn't feel cheaply built, I love how the doors are heavy, as with the rest of the car. It sticks to pavement with the greatest of ease. I bought Triple Tread tires for it, and it gets around well in the winters with ice, but I'm sure with Blizzaks it would be a tank. However, its not really a winter car in that respect. The power on the LS isn't that great, and the LS cant be chipped.

Favorite Features

Weight. Design. Power. Awesome power, just awful that there are no chips to put into the LS.

Suggested Improvements

This car has a lot of road noise. I bought the spray on noise dampener for the undercarriage and quiet tires, but the road noise is pretty loud. Other than that, FANTASTIC car.

After 5 years
By wes

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

Very comfy seats, Paint color is awesome/Laser Blue but the paint chipped real easy from hwy. rocks. A/C doesn't cool enough because of the hot dash. I had my windows tinted, Rides good/XM/ON STAR

Favorite Features

Very soft seats/softer than my Mom's Lexus' seats. Heated seats, helps my lower back

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic/ more cup holders. Dash is way to hot while driving

2005 Monte Carlo LS
By Dan

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my monte over 4 years ago used with about 20,000 miles, now I have a little over 123,000 miles and it still runs like new. I have had a few problems minor problems but i have spent less than $500 in repairs in over 100,000 miles. The car has good acceleration for passing and is fun to drive.

Favorite Features

The stereo is great. This is the only car that I have ever had that I did not swap out all speakers and head unit.

Suggested Improvements

The back seats have plenty of leg room, but it would be nice if the power seats would move forward automatically when folded for rear seat entry.

2005 Monte Carlo Supercharged SS
By Eva

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought my Monte SS used, but let me tell you it is a sweetheart. I am a middle aged woman who loves to drive fast. I have no problem holding the go pedal to the floor. Its also amuses me to shut off the traction control on the console and smoke the heck out of the front tires, some times I have to take off my high heels to make sure the pedal is completely pushed to the floor and I also like the feeling of power going up my leg driving in my stocking feet. Totally awesome car!!

Favorite Features

Heated seats because I wear alot of dresses

Suggested Improvements

More HP, Rev Limiter cuts out at 115 mph or soo

Almost Perfect
By mcd1995

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Supercharged SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My 2005 SS Monte Carlo was my personal dream car for my price range. After bypassing the 2004 Mustang Cobra because of price, I picked the Monte up used with 30k miles for just $13,000 and I'm loving it. The interior is very sleek, contrary to the Edmund's review. Trunk is HUGE and there's good interior space. The car itself gets a lot of looks. I'm now at 42k miles and have no major mechanical problems. Like most, I think Chevy ruined the Monte by not making it a manual RWD. Still, the monte can easily reach 300HP with $1400 in mods. I've used these mods, so I basically paid $14400 for about 310 HP, great styling, and comfort. Great deal.

Favorite Features

Heated Seats, Moon Roof, Decent Gas mileage for a supercharged full-size car, styling, reliable and easily upgradeable engine if you seek more performance.

Suggested Improvements

Would have been perfect if it was Manual RWD, More solid panel assembly (Plastic on interior door handle rubs and squeaks).

Better than Most
By Saigashooter

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

A nice car for a single person, or to just have fun in from time to time. The 3.8 NA V6 is easy on gas but still has some giddy up, though a stock 4.3 or larger V6 would be nice. The car is large though it doesn't handle like a boat. Transmission is a weak point if you have a bad habit of laying rubber at intersections, though it is mostly due to a poorly built throttle position sensor, which causes whining between 2k and 3K rpm The car certainly looks different than any domestic or import sedan or coupe, and people will comment on it. The interior is nice, though some owners report gaps between the glovebox and dash. The rubber treatment on the interior needs to go, as it wears easily.

Favorite Features

Peppy engine on 3.8NA and 3.8SC models Traction control works great Throwback interior and exterior styling XM radio is equipped on some models Steering wheel radio controls Super comfortable leather interior Gorgeous exterior styling Oil and serpentine belt changes are easy Confident at high speeds

Suggested Improvements

Goodyear Eagle RSA tires that are OEM are garbage Would benefit from a V8 option package No manual transmission Front wheel drive is great for bad weather, but RWD would be more fun Cupholder inserts tend to stick to any beverage container they are used to hold Rubberized interior parts wear poorly

Not up to snuff
By Disapointed2005

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new and liked it until the factory warranty expired. My car has average at least two trips to the shop since the day I bought it. I have had to replace a rear wheel bearing and a water pump at my expense. There is a very troubling sound coming from the drive train currently. The car is comfortable and pretty easy on gas. I like the exterior styling.

Favorite Features

XM radio, spacious trunk, and fairly sporty handling for a full size car.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy needs to make significant improvements the build quality of their cars.

05 LT 3.8
By buckshot

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The exterior styling is an acquired taste, but I think it looks great, retro enough to turn heads but not too much. The deep laser blue paint looks great, and has held up very well thus far. Interior is roomy, all controls are easily reached from the drivers seat. The glove box is the only flaw, it isn't fitted tightly enough under the dashboard, and there is an ugly gap. The leather seats are very comfortable, and the heating element does an amazing job. The 3.8l V6 provides OK power, but a v8 with a RWD setup would be best. First gear seems bit sluggish, car would greatly benefit fron a manual trans, or 5 speed auto. handling is OK, the car does roll have body roll, and needs a sway bar.

Favorite Features

Leather interior. Exterior design. Sound system. Performance. Fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

V8 option. RWD platform. Manual transmission. Interior build

My Baby
By Barnzy

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Leased my LT (3.8) new in Feb 05 and bought it when the lease expired. I now have 41K on the odometer and the car looks, and drives every bit as good as it did when I first got it. A smooth, quite ride; and exceptional acceleration and steering response. Fuel consumption was disappointing at first, but improved considerably after about 20K. I now average 24 mpg in town, and 30 on the highway. I consider this exceptional for a 3.8 engine and a car this size. This style Monte Carlo is sure to become a classic, and I hope to keep mine for many years to come.

Favorite Features

Space behind the console to rest your right foot when driving in cruise control mode.

Suggested Improvements

Too late now, but I wish the front passenger seat had six-way power like the driver's seat does.