2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Engine light delayed and cost me a new engine
By chaleena on 12/18/13 21:55 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was happy with my 2004 Monte Carlo. The back seat is a real pain getting in and out of though. My big complaint is I have 161K miles on it. Always maintained on schedule. Suddenly it started acting up and I made an appointment for my mechanics to check it out. A few days before the appointment the engine light went on and I took it in immediately! Well..engine light should have gone on several days prior when it was acting up. It did not! Now it needs a new engine! The engine light was lazy and it is costing me. This has ruined my belief in American made cars!

one great car
By finallygotone on 02/26/13 08:28 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

After changeing the rear rotors and getting the DEXCOOL out of it, I have only one complaint, all the jaums look like they were painted in an old garage, dull as they can be!

2004 Monte Carlo Pace Car
By novaracer63 on 02/04/13 08:30 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought my 2004 LS that was the original pace car at the NASCAR Races in 04. She had 54, 000 original miles on her.......Took a long trip over Christmas and averaged 34 miles to the gallon....very impressed. Having front wheel drive was also a plus since I did sell my Suburban for this car. Locally owned and that person purchased directly from the woman that owned it right off the Chevy Lot. (Did notice there is some kind of noise in either the steering column or in the left front end...any ideas what it could be....all the maintainence has been done prior to my ownership of the car.)

'04 Monte Carlo is a pleasant surprise
By blucas2 on 10/15/12 07:48 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a "work" car due to driving so much for my job. I liked the styling and the price, so i bought her. She had 70,000 on her when i brought her home. I have had no problems with this car. Routine maintenance and a set of tires. She now has 126,000 miles and I am noticing a squeeking noise coming from my front left tire. It's probably a wheel bearing, not surprising at all. Not a big deal. This car has tons of power and gets about 27 MPG average. I can't ask for more from a car that is 8 years old and has 126,000 miles. Chevy really screwed up when they stopped making this gem. Get rid of the freaking Impala and start making the Monte again.

no problems
By 1valentine on 03/31/12 16:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

other than routine maintanance, I havent had a single problem throughout the years. When I purchased the car and brought it home, my son asked me WHY did I purchase this particular model car. He said theyre known to have transmission problems. Seeing this car on the lot I didnt pay attention to the make, or model. I was attracted to the body style and the bright red color. That test drive was amazingly comfortable with a smooth ride. She screamed "take me home and make me yours". Eight years, and 140K miles, signs of tranny problems are appearing in the transmission fluid change. Will run it til it drops as they advised. There will be no trading off this ole girl. Shes great

Never Again.
By am12 on 01/17/12 12:57 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I would never buy a Monte Carlo again. I love my car but I have had it for almost 3 years and have had nothing but problems. I am having to get my roters changed CONSTANTLY. If not, and I am on interstate and slowing down to get on the off ramp, it shakes horribly. Anyone else? Then sometimes when I turn real sharp, it makes a screeching noise and sounds like my power steering is going to go out. Now recently, it has been leaking antifreeze and overheating. I talked to a dealer and he, himself even said they are nice cars, but have many mechanical problems.

04 Intimidator SS Supercharged
By intimidatorss on 11/01/11 10:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

This is my first car and I couldnt ask for anything better. I only ran into one MAJOR problem since I've had it. I need a steering rack and an outter tierod. This car is beast I only have 71k on her and she can smoke almost anything around me. I love the gas mileage I get when im doing 65 on I-95 I get about 43mpg on the flats. Chevy you screwed up big time when you stopped making this car. I personally think this is the best car you have ever had.

Monte Power
By blucas2 on 06/23/11 14:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Love this car. I think Chevy realized they made this one too good so they stopped production. What a mistake. The Monte Carlo is an attractive one that screams power. My 3.4 is loaded with power. No real problems as long as you do your maintenance.

Cheyenne II
By dastankos on 03/07/11 03:16 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought my 04 Dale Jr. Edition used with 53k on it. I am so impressed with this car. I didn't think I would have the power out of the SC 3.8l that I do. My first drive in her and all I could say was "WOW!" The looks I get in this car and all the little "Asian Rice" that tries to race me is great. This car holds it's own so well and I have big plans for her. I am extremely impressed and I couldn't imagine a better car for the money. Amzing fuel economy, power and styling. I'm very much in love with my car and recomend it to anyone looking for a a great ballance of cost, cost of ownership and power. Thank you Chevrolet for giving me one hell of a ride!

Would buy again
By Black on Black on 08/24/10 11:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

I bought this car used at 43K miles and did not know the previous owner. There are some issues on this car that have been unusual failures. The AC pulley bearing went bad, the serpentine belt tensioner went bad. The wheel bearings on the front went bad and the heater core went out all before 60K. Buying used, I cannot tell how the previous owner treated it so I chalk it up to previous use. It gets great gas mileage and rides very nice.