Used 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Best Monte Carlo since the 1970 version
By Scott Riggi

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS Supercharged 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl S/C 4A)

My Father bought the first Monte Carlo in 1970, which had the 400 small block engine. I have owned the 1977, 1987 and the 2004. As I stated the 2004 supercharged is my favorite. Everything you could ask for in a sport car coup. The coups are a dying breed. And the same has hit the Monte Carlo again. If I am going to purchase a four door I will purchase a Cadillac or LIncoln. Which I have done in the past. The change over from the 2004-2005 to the last version is not very attractive compared to the 2004 version. Gone are the bowtie headlamps. Gone the hood design and front and rear quarter panels. The only good thing was the V8.

Favorite Features

Body design, Supercharged V6, interior, xm radio comfort seating. Heated seating. Once you have heated seating (which in upstate New York is appreciated) it is hard to go back and not have them. Great stereo system. XM, CD and cassette. who has that any more. Cassettes being the 8 track for today.

Suggested Improvements

I wish that GM had the for sight to have the onstar in digital and not analog. Great feature I used it more than ounce to report accidents and accidents waiting to happen. Quickest response you could ever have.

Loving my Monte
By Silver Monte

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Carlo for a few months now. So far I'm loving it, no problems with it. Recently got dual exhuast for it with bow tie tips looks nice. I would definetely buy this car again if Chevy brought it back. I would not give this car up for anything else. except for my mom's 2008 Malibu LTZ.

Favorite Features

Sunroof. Dual climate control. Power windows. The wiper blades. The feeling of driving a true American muscle car!.

Suggested Improvements

MPG. More horsepower & torque. Easier access to the rear seats. More head room for the driver. I am 6,3". Overall solid car nothin wrong with it. But very most of all very dependable car and brand. Way better than the imports

Problems, problems, problems
By susie1975_19999

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The electronics on this car has been a nightmare!Air conditioner, several sensors, dash board assembly, multi function switch, catalytic converter, gas cap have all been replaced! Most all of these items have cost me over 500 every time! Multi function switch, when it goes bad headlights will go out on you going down the road! Of course there are never any re-calls for these problems and every time something else goes wrong dealer ship says those cars are known for this! I've called GM several times about the car and told them they sold me a piece of junk but they never offer to replace anything! Wish I had never laid eyes on this car. It will be traded off! GM never again !

Favorite Features

Heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Replace all the junkie electronics on these cars and give better warranty!

Great performance and comfort
By RW

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my SS a year ago and couldn't be happier with it. It is fun to drive, comfortable and gets great fuel economy to boot! I average over 30mpg on the highway and usually get around 26mpg overall.

Favorite Features

The power heated leather seats and steering wheel controls contribute to an excellent overall driving experience.

A Knock Out Car - But
By RonD

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car's appearance and performance. But, I have had a problem with grinding disc brakes since the day I purchased it (3 yrs). Dealer and a second party both say there is no problem with the brakes just rust from rain. It is most distracting on such a great looking and otherwise great performing car. Surprised that no other review mentioned this issue.

Favorite Features

Appearance, gas mileage, and performance other than the brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Different disc brake system.