Used 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Coupe Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Never again, General Motors!
By Charlie

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I was excited when I bought this car after enduring a major life event that was health related. I had always had General Motors vehicles my entire life, both my parents worked for GM in Rochester, NY. The car had just under 95K miles when I purchased it. My first impression was the car having lots of pep and quite economical for being a good sized car. In the time I owned it (2 years), I have replaced all 4 rotors and brakes, the exhaust system (I replaced that with single exhaust, replacing the faux-duals would have costed a small fortune) and the rear parking brake linkage, which came apart. The 4 way flasher button on the dashboard broke and came apart. The high-beam switch doesn't click and keep them on high properly and periodically the dash will reset itself (as if starting the engine) in the middle of driving. The right front wheel sensor acts up when conditions are wet, which automatically disables the traction control. Topping it off, a week ago, I was returning home from running errands. I was exiting the expressway when I felt and heard a nasty vibration as I was coming to a stop. The car's transmission (4T65E) went, right then and there, at 108K miles. The car will now only move in reverse. Quite ironic, because I took a major step backward when I purchased this car. Too bad I didn't have a crystal ball.

It's time to cut my losses. This coming week, I will be stepping into a Honda Civic. I can't wait! My Dad might spin in his grave, but GM cars have taken a major step back (or SIX) in quality over these last years. I don't plan on ever buying another one, I'm done.

Never Again.
By am12

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I would never buy a Monte Carlo again. I love my car but I have had it for almost 3 years and have had nothing but problems.
I am having to get my roters changed CONSTANTLY.
If not, and I am on interstate and slowing down to get on the off ramp, it shakes horribly. Anyone else? Then sometimes when I turn real sharp, it makes a screeching noise and sounds like my power steering is going to go out.
Now recently, it has been leaking antifreeze and overheating.
I talked to a dealer and he, himself even said they are nice cars, but have many mechanical problems.

A very good car
By Bill

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new. I have driven it 68000 miles. I have never had any problems with it, and I get very good gas mileage. It still looks new inside and out, and I hope to drive it another 5 or 6 years. For a Chevrolet, I think it is a very good product.

Style and performance.

Maybe back then a V8 option would have been nice.

Great Car
By 04montess

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Great gas mileage. Roomy interior with lots of storage. Large aftermarket for parts.

Heated seats, moon roof

Power and interior refinement. Looks like a Chevy interior.

Problems, problems, problems
By susie1975_19999

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The electronics on this car has been a nightmare!Air conditioner, several sensors, dash board assembly, multi function switch, catalytic converter, gas cap have all been replaced! Most all of these items have cost me over 500 every time! Multi function switch, when it goes bad headlights will go out on you going down the road! Of course there are never any re-calls for these problems and every time something else goes wrong dealer ship says those cars are known for this! I've called GM several times about the car and told them they sold me a piece of junk but they never offer to replace anything! Wish I had never laid eyes on this car. It will be traded off! GM never again !

Heated seats

Replace all the junkie electronics on these cars and give better warranty!