Used 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Monte-carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Engine light delayed and cost me a new engine
By chaleena

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was happy with my 2004 Monte Carlo. The back seat is a real pain getting in and out of though. My big complaint is I have 161K miles on it. Always maintained on schedule. Suddenly it started acting up and I made an appointment for my mechanics to check it out. A few days before the appointment the engine light went on and I took it in immediately! Well..engine light should have gone on several days prior when it was acting up. It did not! Now it needs a new engine! The engine light was lazy and it is costing me. This has ruined my belief in American made cars!

Suggested Improvements

Install engine lights that goes on Immediately before damage is done!

one great car
By finallygotone

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

After changeing the rear rotors and getting the DEXCOOL out of it, I have only one complaint, all the jaums look like they were painted in an old garage, dull as they can be!

Favorite Features

Luv this car, great ride and mpg. beautiful lines also. No major problems so far, bought it new and will keep it until either it or I die. A great car for price paid.

Suggested Improvements

A shine in the jams would greatly inhance this car. better grade of material used for the brake rotors. The cloth interior is horrible looking, but if u drop something on the seats it will not show, a good point, I am not sure. I would have prefered vinel or leather seats

2004 Monte Carlo Pace Car
By novaracer63

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought my 2004 LS that was the original pace car at the NASCAR Races in 04. She had 54, 000 original miles on her.......Took a long trip over Christmas and averaged 34 miles to the gallon....very impressed. Having front wheel drive was also a plus since I did sell my Suburban for this car. Locally owned and that person purchased directly from the woman that owned it right off the Chevy Lot. (Did notice there is some kind of noise in either the steering column or in the left front end...any ideas what it could be....all the maintainence has been done prior to my ownership of the car.)

Favorite Features

Like all features.....even has add on lighting in the front plus it came with the headrests that are NASCAR.....pretty cool stuff.

'04 Monte Carlo is a pleasant surprise
By blucas2

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a "work" car due to driving so much for my job. I liked the styling and the price, so i bought her. She had 70,000 on her when i brought her home. I have had no problems with this car. Routine maintenance and a set of tires. She now has 126,000 miles and I am noticing a squeeking noise coming from my front left tire. It's probably a wheel bearing, not surprising at all. Not a big deal. This car has tons of power and gets about 27 MPG average. I can't ask for more from a car that is 8 years old and has 126,000 miles. Chevy really screwed up when they stopped making this gem. Get rid of the freaking Impala and start making the Monte again.

Favorite Features

Awesome BOSE sterio system.

Suggested Improvements

Make the freaking car again! I would make this car more European looking and raise the entire car height about 2 inches. 18" rims standard and I would offer a 5.0 liter version. I think this car would be a top-seller for GM. I think leather interior standard, BOSE radio system, 18" rims, and only offer in Black, White, Red and Navy Blue.

no problems
By 1valentine

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

other than routine maintanance, I havent had a single problem throughout the years. When I purchased the car and brought it home, my son asked me WHY did I purchase this particular model car. He said theyre known to have transmission problems. Seeing this car on the lot I didnt pay attention to the make, or model. I was attracted to the body style and the bright red color. That test drive was amazingly comfortable with a smooth ride. She screamed "take me home and make me yours". Eight years, and 140K miles, signs of tranny problems are appearing in the transmission fluid change. Will run it til it drops as they advised. There will be no trading off this ole girl. Shes great

Favorite Features

body style is classy, comfortable ride, fuel mileage, dependable.

Suggested Improvements

Wish they still made this style, Id buy another.