Used 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews - 145 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Never again, General Motors!
By Charlie

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I was excited when I bought this car after enduring a major life event that was health related. I had always had General Motors vehicles my entire life, both my parents worked for GM in Rochester, NY. The car had just under 95K miles when I purchased it. My first impression was the car having lots of pep and quite economical for being a good sized car. In the time I owned it (2 years), I have replaced all 4 rotors and brakes, the exhaust system (I replaced that with single exhaust, replacing the faux-duals would have costed a small fortune) and the rear parking brake linkage, which came apart. The 4 way flasher button on the dashboard broke and came apart. The high-beam switch doesn't click and keep them on high properly and periodically the dash will reset itself (as if starting the engine) in the middle of driving. The right front wheel sensor acts up when conditions are wet, which automatically disables the traction control. Topping it off, a week ago, I was returning home from running errands. I was exiting the expressway when I felt and heard a nasty vibration as I was coming to a stop. The car's transmission (4T65E) went, right then and there, at 108K miles. The car will now only move in reverse. Quite ironic, because I took a major step backward when I purchased this car. Too bad I didn't have a crystal ball.

It's time to cut my losses. This coming week, I will be stepping into a Honda Civic. I can't wait! My Dad might spin in his grave, but GM cars have taken a major step back (or SIX) in quality over these last years. I don't plan on ever buying another one, I'm done.

315000 all original miles!!!!
By matt

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I am rough on a vehicle but, I Change my oil and keep the engine in good order. Bought the car pretty cheaply with 70,000 miles on it. Later realized it had been in an accident. So aside from dealing with the problems that caused in the front end I was able to get it back right. Since then I have been hit 3 times. The car is a TANK. I was gonna be happy with 200,000 miles but she keeps going. I will get another one if my car ever decides it's had enough.

Phew... just rolled over 275,000 original miles!
By A MILF

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been amazing. Definitely recommend it to any new avid car collector. The engine reliability and longevity is well worth every penny. I do not reccomend this car if you have a car seat for baby/child as its very cumbersome to retract the front seat to settle in the kids.

Engine light delayed and cost me a new engine
By chaleena

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was happy with my 2004 Monte Carlo. The back seat is a real pain getting in and out of though. My big complaint is I have 161K miles on it. Always maintained on schedule. Suddenly it started acting up and I made an appointment for my mechanics to
check it out. A few days before the appointment the engine light went on and I took it in immediately! Well..engine light should have gone on several days prior when it was acting up. It did not! Now it needs a new engine! The engine light was lazy and it is costing me. This has ruined my belief in American made cars!

Install engine lights that goes on Immediately before damage is done!

one great car
By finallygotone

2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

After changeing the rear rotors and getting the DEXCOOL out of it, I have only one complaint, all the jaums look like they were painted in an old garage, dull as they can be!

Luv this car, great ride and mpg. beautiful lines also. No major problems so far, bought it new and will keep it until either it or I die. A great car for price paid.

A shine in the jams would greatly inhance this car. better grade of material used for the brake rotors. The cloth interior is horrible looking, but if u drop something on the seats it will not show, a good point, I am not sure. I would have prefered vinel or leather seats