Used 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

I Love This Car
By Krysta

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car. It is the 1st car I have purchased, and I could not have asked for more. It is fun and sporty, but still roomy and spacious on the inside. Its pretty fast for a car its size, and the body shap is inique. It has great curves, and there is not a car on the road that looks anything like it. The car drives like a dream, and in my opinion it handles really well. I love the color on my car, the color is called Berry Red Metalic, and I have not seen one in my area with the same color.

Favorite Features

The stereo is amazing for stock, and I love the split AC controls. Makes life just a little easier every day :).

Suggested Improvements

The doors. My driveway is on a hill, and everytime I get out, it flies right back at me.

2003 Monte Carlo, bad power steering
By Rozie

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car serviced 8 times in 17 months for problems with the power steering pump. Eventually, the entire power steering rack was replaced, but the problem is still not resolved. I love the look and feel of the car, but the mechanics on it are horrible. I am a loyal GM customer, but the difficulties that I have had with the servicing of this vehicle are pushing me towards foreign cars with much better manufacturer's warranties.

Favorite Features

The interior overall is very nice, and is very functional for the driver.

Suggested Improvements

The front seats swing back into place to easily causing people entering the back seat to get hit with the seat. Also, the doors do not stay open well on their own, they slam back shut.

Great Car
By Dan

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

The power plant could be more powerful, but Chevy has addressed this in new models. Great build quality, have owed car for 2 years 3 months, not one problem. Very reliable, looks great, drives well, gets a lot of looks. Highly recommend it.

Favorite Features

Traction Control in the snow, you can gun the car and it moves perfectly in a straight line.

Suggested Improvements

More power, lighter doors. Chevy has put more power in the new models, I curious to see if the 2006 has lighter doors

Good Overall
By ShafinKS

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Gas mileage great for it's size. Road noise is terrible.

Suggested Improvements

Less Road Noise

All Around Very Good Performer
By James Tiller

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Don't let the snobbish reviewers sway you about the exterior styling. This is not a cookie-cutter car for conformists. It was designed to look different than regular commuter-cars, and i think its features are very distinctive and memorable. Very good performance from FWD 3.8 litre V6. A great engine, great transmission, and great handling/suspension characteristics. If you miss 1960's/early 1970's sporty/luxury 2- door coupes, then this car may be for you. And keep in mind, this car produces more horsepower than any production Monte since 1974, when they still put had the big-block as an option. I recomend this car for those who want to live a little, and still have a sense of practicality!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling is bold and beautiful, not muddled or confused, as some style- snobs like to say. Not all cars have to look the same! So this one looks different and some call it ugly! It has many styling cues from 1st four monte generations, but is purely sixth gen. Great torque with 3.8!

Suggested Improvements

Improvements should be the following: Get rid of the LS model, and offer the LT as the base model with 3.8 litre push-rod engine. This is a great engine, even though it is 40 years old! The SS should be the 4.6 Aurora or 5.3 Vortec. And all montes should be Rear Wheel Drive. Other than that nothing!