2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Love the Monte SS
By cyanidekid

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car off craigslist through a private party without even hearing it run. It had 45,000 miles on it. I rented a car trailer from uhaul and drove 2 hrs to pick the car up. It is a (Competition Yellow) 2003 Limited Edition SS w/ the High Sport appearance package, fully loaded. The car now has 138,000 miles on it and it runs like a champ. I haven't had to put any $$ into it besides regular maintenance and it gets excellent gas mileage for its size. It's big enough to fit 5 comfortably and the trunk is HUGE! The Monte Carlo is definitely sexy and demands attention on the roads, but it's not a "race" car... unless you want to spend the extra $$ for the modifications.

Favorite Features

Gotta love the motor in this car. It is very dependable. The heated leather seats are a dream and are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Make a 50th anniversary MONTE CARLO SS and make it the race car it was meant to be!!! But Chevy probably didn't do that to begin with so people like me wouldn't actually think they were in a NASCAR race.

Perfect
By caitlinmay

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am obsessed with my '03 Monte Carlo SS. I bought it only a few months ago with 126,000 miles on it, and it's already my favorite car I've ever owned. I bought it from a new/used Chevy dealer, so there were no problems with the car at all. The interior and exterior were both in perfect condition. No mechanical problems at all. It drives smooth and it's fast!!! It's a very easy car to handle, and I love love love the style! I haven't had it for long enough to say it's reliable and things don't go bad on the car, but from what I see now, the car has been taken very good care off. I don't see myself having any problems with it down the road!

Favorite Features

I love the sunroof, power seats, controls on the steering wheel, and the overall design of the car!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't like about the car is gas mileage! It supposedly gets 17 city but it doesn't seem like it. Right before I purchased the Monte, I owned a 2002 Sante Fe (SUV) and it also got 17 city, but to be honest, it seems like I got better mpg in the SUV!!!

2003 Monte carlo ss
By coonhound01

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my SS with 83,000. It has been a very reliable car. I now have 176,000 on my car. It still runs and rides smooth. I've replaced the thermostat, a/c condenser and resonator during that time. The condenser was the result of a stone or debri, which I was told was typical. I like the car, the interior has held up well, and the exterior is even better considering the miles. I average 23-24 mpg combined, 27 mpg on a trip.

Favorite Features

Looks, mpg, a/c-heating system

Suggested Improvements

little better performance(supercharger should have been a std item), better sound sytem, better knobs- facades wear off.

Nice Looking Monte SS but...There's room for Improvement
By carguy310

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my '03 Monte Carlo SS used in August 2010 with 113K miles. One owner car before I acquired it. Never been hit or wrecked. Was well maintained. A/C wasn't working when I got it so I had to replace the A/C compressor right away due to leaky seals. Less than a month after purchase goes by, engine went bad at 114K miles. It needed a complete rebuild due to a gasket leak allowing the fluid to run into the cylinders & caused a rod to go bad. A couple of interior buttons & dash lights are blown. The fan speed dial does not work on 1 at times but works on 2-5 with no issues. The body has a tiny wee bit of rust on it. Mostly on the fuel door(outside) and the doors (inside).

Favorite Features

Rockin' sound system with CD player. Love the glossy black paint job but a pain to maintain 'cause every swirl mark and spec of dust shows on a black paint finish. OEM rims for the SS are nice too. Cloth interior is immaculate (clean) with plenty of cabin space. Trunk is very large (even larger with rear seats folded down). Perfect for loading cargo or groceries. Engine has decent power with plenty of acceleration with decent gas mileage of 19 city & 29 highway for a large coupe. Transmission shifts good. Love the cruise control and radio controls on the steering wheel. Intermittent wipers are a plus too.

Suggested Improvements

Pay attention to your craftsmanship at the factory. Get the dexcool out of your vehicles. They're bad for the engine. Build some of your interior materials and controls better. Build metal intake manifold instead of plastic for the 3800 engine.

ss for ss
By sonny

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my '03 SS I bought with 18k in '08 its all black with black leather interior. I have added K&N intake and am planning on an exhaust and ecu chip in the near future. For a front wheel drive car she a blast to drive. This car is my BABY!!

Favorite Features

The exterior styling, it reminds me of a rocket ship or fighter jet!!

Suggested Improvements

rear wheel drive and a manual transmission

80,000 mile lemon
By Chad Hyder

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new and have had decent service up to this point. I'm have just started hearing a slight noise in the engine this week and its getting worse, I took it into the shop and was informed that the lifters and camshaft would need to be replaced. This would cost me $2,500,00. I'm checking around for better pricing but it seems this car is no longer drivable until this major repair is made. I just fill I should have been able to get more than 80,000 miles from this 2003 Monte Carlo. Needless to say I will not be walking onto a Chevrolet lot anymore. Its looking like I have been pushed to the superior foreign market. It just makes sense. C-Ya Chevy's!!!!

Favorite Features

Looked and drove well up to 80,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Need to make a car that will last over 80,000 miles without major repairs. The mechanic states that the engine looks great and he can not understand why this issue has occurred.

Great for work or play
By ms

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with 14k, now have over 192,000 miles on it and I still get 28 MPG on the highway! Have the 3.8 V-6; wonder what kind of mileage I'd get with a 5 or 6 speed auto? Put down the back seats and I've carried ladders, lumber, 8-10 ft pieces of molding, vinyl flooring, you name it. Wish they hadn't stopped making it. I guess if I need to replace it I'll look for a '07.

Chevrolet?
By Quatermain98526

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I was on my way home from work when I stopped by the dealer to check out some cars. The Monte Carlo SS with 50K on it for only 9 grand blew me away, I bought it inside an hour. I also test drove an '03 Mustang LX and a '99 Camaro Z28, this car almost compares to the Camaro, and it's only a V6! with 100 HP less! The style of the car, and the SS trim is very very attractive. The car is spacious and comfortable inside, and the engine is very responsive, very touchy, I love it. Handling for a front wheel drive car is better than I predicted.

Favorite Features

I like the tail end and side view of the car, very attractive. The engine is very responsive, very quick to accelerate. It's a comfortable car, very smooth riding. The full instrumentation dashboard is also nice.

Suggested Improvements

The sound system on my '95 T-Bird sounded better than this. It spins out too easily when it's stopped and accelerates, and it's difficult to keep it going straight since it's front wheel drive. The front end needs to be more refined, it's the weak part of the car, looks too plain there.

I love my Jeff Gordon Monte
By jrrotten

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased as an investment and is driven less than 2000 mi annually now. It averages 26 mph and gets 32 mpg on the freeways. I purchased it new, and it is covered in the garage. I think GM and Hendrix motor sport did a great job of designing the package. It holds the road like it was glued to it. I took the car on 2 road trips, one to Arizona and one to Colorado. Wonderful auto, it now has 24,240 miles on it.

Favorite Features

Nice leather, heated 6 way seats, trimmed with light and dark grays, and 24 on the headrest. Detailed with flames over the hood, fenders and doors, that you don't see at first. It's an head turner and I like it.

Suggested Improvements

I'm not sure they could improve on this vehicle, as it is nearly perfect. Like I said, it gets 32 mph on the freeways,and that is at 80 mph and more, and that was running in the mountains. I wonder what it might do on flat ground, like Nebraska and Kansas. I think it is perfect.

Sweet!
By ToddP

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new and have never regretted it, even with the baby. Roomy and fun to drive. Chevrolet improved it a year later by adding a V8 option Only change I would make is that.