2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Love the Monte SS
By cyanidekid

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car off craigslist through a private party without even hearing it run. It had 45,000 miles on it. I rented a car trailer from uhaul and drove 2 hrs to pick the car up. It is a (Competition Yellow) 2003 Limited Edition SS w/ the High Sport appearance package, fully loaded. The car now has 138,000 miles on it and it runs like a champ. I haven't had to put any $$ into it besides regular maintenance and it gets excellent gas mileage for its size. It's big enough to fit 5 comfortably and the trunk is HUGE! The Monte Carlo is definitely sexy and demands attention on the roads, but it's not a "race" car... unless you want to spend the extra $$ for the modifications.

Favorite Features

Gotta love the motor in this car. It is very dependable. The heated leather seats are a dream and are comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Make a 50th anniversary MONTE CARLO SS and make it the race car it was meant to be!!! But Chevy probably didn't do that to begin with so people like me wouldn't actually think they were in a NASCAR race.

Perfect
By caitlinmay

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I am obsessed with my '03 Monte Carlo SS. I bought it only a few months ago with 126,000 miles on it, and it's already my favorite car I've ever owned. I bought it from a new/used Chevy dealer, so there were no problems with the car at all. The interior and exterior were both in perfect condition. No mechanical problems at all. It drives smooth and it's fast!!! It's a very easy car to handle, and I love love love the style! I haven't had it for long enough to say it's reliable and things don't go bad on the car, but from what I see now, the car has been taken very good care off. I don't see myself having any problems with it down the road!

Favorite Features

I love the sunroof, power seats, controls on the steering wheel, and the overall design of the car!

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I don't like about the car is gas mileage! It supposedly gets 17 city but it doesn't seem like it. Right before I purchased the Monte, I owned a 2002 Sante Fe (SUV) and it also got 17 city, but to be honest, it seems like I got better mpg in the SUV!!!

2003 Monte carlo ss
By coonhound01

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my SS with 83,000. It has been a very reliable car. I now have 176,000 on my car. It still runs and rides smooth. I've replaced the thermostat, a/c condenser and resonator during that time. The condenser was the result of a stone or debri, which I was told was typical. I like the car, the interior has held up well, and the exterior is even better considering the miles. I average 23-24 mpg combined, 27 mpg on a trip.

Favorite Features

Looks, mpg, a/c-heating system

Suggested Improvements

little better performance(supercharger should have been a std item), better sound sytem, better knobs- facades wear off.

2003 Monte Carlo LS
By ep1

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Really like the style of the car, though not very happy in the way it handles, sloppy but sort of controlled has the feeling of being very nose heavy up front in cornering manovers presently having steering shaft issues the dealer lubed and greased the steering shaft seems to be much better - great gas mileage and a real head tuner on the road.

Favorite Features

The style of the car, and the way it rides

Suggested Improvements

Intake manifold gasket should be made to last longer than it does, and the steering shaft issues on many Montes!

Nice Looking Monte SS but...There's room for Improvement
By carguy310

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my '03 Monte Carlo SS used in August 2010 with 113K miles. One owner car before I acquired it. Never been hit or wrecked. Was well maintained. A/C wasn't working when I got it so I had to replace the A/C compressor right away due to leaky seals. Less than a month after purchase goes by, engine went bad at 114K miles. It needed a complete rebuild due to a gasket leak allowing the fluid to run into the cylinders & caused a rod to go bad. A couple of interior buttons & dash lights are blown. The fan speed dial does not work on 1 at times but works on 2-5 with no issues. The body has a tiny wee bit of rust on it. Mostly on the fuel door(outside) and the doors (inside).

Favorite Features

Rockin' sound system with CD player. Love the glossy black paint job but a pain to maintain 'cause every swirl mark and spec of dust shows on a black paint finish. OEM rims for the SS are nice too. Cloth interior is immaculate (clean) with plenty of cabin space. Trunk is very large (even larger with rear seats folded down). Perfect for loading cargo or groceries. Engine has decent power with plenty of acceleration with decent gas mileage of 19 city & 29 highway for a large coupe. Transmission shifts good. Love the cruise control and radio controls on the steering wheel. Intermittent wipers are a plus too.

Suggested Improvements

Pay attention to your craftsmanship at the factory. Get the dexcool out of your vehicles. They're bad for the engine. Build some of your interior materials and controls better. Build metal intake manifold instead of plastic for the 3800 engine.

Awesome vehicle!
By Warhorse

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 2 years ago, always wanted one, my wife found it in the used car lot. Despite needing new intake gasket set right away, I'm VERY pleased with this car! I hope to own it as long as it will last, have added customized parts to it and is a head-turner. Also put 40 series Flowmaster dual-exhaust on it, sounds great! I feed it Z-Maxx every 6000 miles and it treats me right, recommend it to everyone!

Favorite Features

Stereo out of the box sounds awesome, good fuel mileage, about 25 mpg country driving, great styling, good pickup, (especially with dual exhaust)very comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Need to address the intake gasket issue.

Love My Car
By June Seymour

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I only have 56,600 miles on the car. Runs great and have only had it in for regular service. Wish GM still made this vehicle. People look at car when I'm driving and give me thumbs up or a toot, but I know it is not for me because of my age. My car still looks like new!

Favorite Features

Style, gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

None-just start making them again!

Low Rider
By Low Rider

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I do love this car! Glad to see lots of others do too. Bought used, 2 months now. It is definitely a low rider. I felt bamboozled at the car lot where I purchased it. I don't think they had sold a car in days. Paid 8,900. Not sure it was well kept, all 4 tires are different brands. Lights go on and off. Knocks if higher octane gas is not used. Only bad thing to say that it sits so low, when you pull out of a parking spot with huge vehicles on both sides you can't see a thing. Also, I have very short legs and have to sit very close to steering wheel. I had a Kia and loved it but I hit a pole, didn't damage the body but with the poorly made unibody (all one piece)it was warped & totaled.

Favorite Features

Love the stereo, it's the bomb and is fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Driver's door slams back on you, doesn't stay open. Lots of stuff under the hood. I drove an old pick up for 6 yrs,it was very basic under the hood. This car is over whelming, I couldn't even get the air filter out. Yes, I'm female but I don't like feeling helpless, it needs professionals to repair.

It's Just Right !
By trucksollady

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 03 Monte in 05. Had about 25000 on it. It's is still perfect, handles great, great gas mileage, and never a moments problem with it. Almost rides like a Cadillac but also what I really like about it , being 50 years old now & female, is that it still strokes my ego a little without my looking like an old lady that shouldn't be driving a hot car ! Have always gotten compliments on the car. It now has 74000 miles on it and my intention is to keep it for many more years. I think the quality of the car, interior & exterior, motor, etc. is excellent ! I wouldn't hesitate to hop in it & go on a road trip. To my husband's credit, he keeps it maintained for me.

Favorite Features

Body style, Handling, interior is great

Suggested Improvements

Can't think of any.

Best car I've ever owned.
By Henry Chantre

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It's nearly six years old, with 39000 miles, and i still get compliments on it's looks. It's by far the best car I've ever owned

Favorite Features

Just nice looking, economical and comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

I don't understand why GM stopped making this car.