2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Review: "Competition Yellow" paint com

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Review

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

SS Coupe (3.8L V6 4-speed Automatic)

"Competition Yellow" paint competed w/my wallet
By dscarchick on

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my yellow Monte Carlo SS used in 2007 and owned it until 2012 when I threw it on my bankruptcy with only 3 payments left (I had good reasons). When I 1st bought the car it was a blast! so much fun to drive, so much get up n go, so roomy for being a 2 door car, decent gas for a supercharged V6 etc. Then the issues started. I went through 3 catalytic converters which were NOT covered by warranty and there was no explanation as to why they kept going out. Then I had issue after issue with the cooling system. A radiator, 2 temp sensors, 2 cooling fans, water pump, hoses later, it STILL ran hot. Then driving home one day I heard a POP and there went 3rd gear. This car was unreliable...

The leather interior, heated seats, sunroof, auto volume adjust for the radio, and onstar (which comes in handy when it breaks so much). It also had a lot of get up and go yet still got decent mileage for a supercharged V6.

Get a cooling system that doesn't malfunction. Some of the hoses were made out of plastic and, it isn't rocket science, plastic melts when it gets hot. And green antifreeze worked fine for years. Why do we need orange? Also, the suspension sucks. I hate Ford's and the 2005 and newer Mustangs have awesome suspension compared to this car. There was far too much body roll which isn't expected of a sport coupe.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review