Used 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Love my bright yellow Monte Carlo SS
By Phil

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I saw this car in bright yellow on a dealer's lot over an 1/8th of a mile from the street. It was so hot looking, I had to check it out. Before I knew it, I bought it. It rode way better than the Mustangs, was as quiet and road as well as a Cadillac, mine has every option except a power passenger seat or heated seats (which I don't really need where I live, and I usually drive alone anyway). This car has given me no problems since 2002, in fact, other than tires, I haven't spent a dime on it, and here it is 2008, the way car dealers count age, the car is 7 years old and has NO problems. I can't say enough about how good a buy this car was, best car I've had since 1969 Cougar Eliminator

Steering wheel controls for everything, great stereo, mine plays cassettes and CDs and has a great bass response. People wow over the stereo, and with the bright yellow paint, it's a head turner. I get 22 mpg in town with my foot "in it" most of the time. This car handles great, and feels very safe.

The front cupholder is hard to use when car is in park. I would like to see higher air dams on the front of the car so the car won't scrape tall curbs.

Disappointed
By Collins

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Beautiful, fun car to drive. Very disappointed in the resale value. Have had catalytic converter replaced (under warranty), PassLock security system failed, BCM unit went bad, power steering and brakes needed replaced, cooling system problems, and ignition system had to be replaced, all within the first 60,000 miles. Now the windshield fogs up, no cause detected by 2 certified mechanics. Fuel mileage is better than normal with 26 city, 35 highway.

I own the Dale Earnhardt Signature Series '02 Monte Carlo SS. A real looker! Sound system rocks! Makes this old gal even look good.

GM needs to get rid of the PassLock security system. Exhaust system could use a throaty sounding rumble.

Unhappy with Cheverolet company
By Billie Jo Shifflett

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new. The first week of ownership I received a recall notice for the intake bolts due to them running hot. At 23000 miles I started having brake and rotor problems. Noticed a noise and took to the dealer and was told the steering shaft needed replacing. This seems to be a problem with these cars according to consumer reports magazine. Also with the brakes, rotors, and calipers. At 27000 miles I had all the rotors replaced. GM did nothing to help me with the latest problem of the steering shaft due to the car being out of warranty and being a 2002. I reminded them that this car has only 28000 miles on it and they need to correct their faulty parts by having a recall.

I like the leather heated seats

Having recalls on parts that are continuing to go wrong for all these cars

Fantastic car
By dale earnhardt editi

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new and took it on a trip down the east coast to Florida and back. Had a Lincoln Town Car prior to this one. Loved the way the car rode and handled especially through the mountains. Averaged about 29 mpg for a 3500 mi. trip. I also have a heavy foot, I'm an old racer and still like to go fast. Buried the spedo coming out of Winston Salem about 3am. Hard to believe for a six! I would have liked a little more HP to blow off the Mustangs. I'm 69, I've raced drags, stocks, motorcycles. My scooter has 145HP and weighs 525lbs. I know about performance and power and I love this car! I can't believe GM discontinued it. All you had to do is drive it and you'd buy it.

Handling, response, ride.

Better stereo. Bigger brakes and more HP

It's no Z34
By Chevyguy

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I had to replace my 1994 Z34 and this was the closest thing Chevy had. Reliability has been good, performance is alright, handles good. It is an adequate replacement, but it is no Z34. I would recommend to someone that loved their Z34.

Simple use controls and easy to read dash display.

More powerful V6. More comfortable seats,like the 1994 Z34.

• SUV