Used 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Still love it after all these years.
By jackw972

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Monte Carlo LS brand new in '02. It had 48 miles on it, and shined like a new Penny. The car now has 140,000 miles on it. I've had little to no problems with the car till it had 100,000 miles on it. The problems came in waves. When I had trouble, it wasn't just one thing, it would be 2 or 3 things go bad about the same time. I'd get them fixed, and it would be fine for a while. At this point, the BCM went bad. I'm still working with that problem. It has 140K, it ain't perfect. I still like it, and still like driving it. I'm going to run the wheels off of it.

No wonder GM went bankrupt!
By 1dtidwell

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Traction Control/ABS issues, crank position sensor, starts when it wants to (passlock issues)...
It's never ending problems with this car with just over 100,000 miles. Last GM product I'll ever buy.

Love the car but too many problems
By dalesrfan

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my monte ss however there has been a lot of problems with wiring flickering lights, paint issues after only having the car for 3 years the paint was bubbling and now just peeling off. Gm told me they would do nothing, also catalytic converter problems and most recent oil pan completely rotted out.

Love the leather interior and the handling of the car...

My first car!
By btown_jim

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My dad bought the 02 MC SS in bright red for me with 74k miles. had it for half a year now and still love it! handles beautifully, and has some power in the 3800cc engine!! trust me, this car can really book on the highways. interior feels like you're sitting on a really comfy couch, and i love the dual zone climate control. sound system is great too! my friends all love my car. they're always complimenting how its fast and attention-grabbing. my friend has an 02 MC LS and everyone prefers mine to his, so only look for SS when buying. after 76k still no problems! I plan to have this car for a long time to come.

3.8L engine, dual zone climate control, sound system,

better gas mileage, louder exhaust sound

GOOD BUT NOT GREAT
By MR.G

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought car used with 34000 miles.First thing i did was,replace front rotors and brake pads,second thing i did was flush the GM antifreeze from engine and went back with regular green anti freeze.I did this because the GM antifreeze will damage the cooling parts in engine and has a gum building inside cooling system.The third thing I did was replace the turn signal device on the steering column.The original broke one night and I could not dim my headlights.Cost was over $500.00.

A safe and good performance car.Loaded with extras,but over time they will give problems.

A good drive train motor and transmission but lacking on Quality in the electrical parts.I could not recommend this car unless you get it real cheap and have a good mechanic as a friend.