Used 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Love my bright yellow Monte Carlo SS
By Phil

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I saw this car in bright yellow on a dealer's lot over an 1/8th of a mile from the street. It was so hot looking, I had to check it out. Before I knew it, I bought it. It rode way better than the Mustangs, was as quiet and road as well as a Cadillac, mine has every option except a power passenger seat or heated seats (which I don't really need where I live, and I usually drive alone anyway). This car has given me no problems since 2002, in fact, other than tires, I haven't spent a dime on it, and here it is 2008, the way car dealers count age, the car is 7 years old and has NO problems. I can't say enough about how good a buy this car was, best car I've had since 1969 Cougar Eliminator

Favorite Features

Steering wheel controls for everything, great stereo, mine plays cassettes and CDs and has a great bass response. People wow over the stereo, and with the bright yellow paint, it's a head turner. I get 22 mpg in town with my foot "in it" most of the time. This car handles great, and feels very safe.

Suggested Improvements

The front cupholder is hard to use when car is in park. I would like to see higher air dams on the front of the car so the car won't scrape tall curbs.

"Competition Yellow" paint competed w/my wallet
By dscarchick

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my yellow Monte Carlo SS used in 2007 and owned it until 2012 when I threw it on my bankruptcy with only 3 payments left (I had good reasons). When I 1st bought the car it was a blast! so much fun to drive, so much get up n go, so roomy for being a 2 door car, decent gas for a supercharged V6 etc. Then the issues started. I went through 3 catalytic converters which were NOT covered by warranty and there was no explanation as to why they kept going out. Then I had issue after issue with the cooling system. A radiator, 2 temp sensors, 2 cooling fans, water pump, hoses later, it STILL ran hot. Then driving home one day I heard a POP and there went 3rd gear. This car was unreliable...

Favorite Features

The leather interior, heated seats, sunroof, auto volume adjust for the radio, and onstar (which comes in handy when it breaks so much). It also had a lot of get up and go yet still got decent mileage for a supercharged V6.

Suggested Improvements

Get a cooling system that doesn't malfunction. Some of the hoses were made out of plastic and, it isn't rocket science, plastic melts when it gets hot. And green antifreeze worked fine for years. Why do we need orange? Also, the suspension sucks. I hate Ford's and the 2005 and newer Mustangs have awesome suspension compared to this car. There was far too much body roll which isn't expected of a sport coupe.

No wonder GM went bankrupt!
By 1dtidwell

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Traction Control/ABS issues, crank position sensor, starts when it wants to (passlock issues)... It's never ending problems with this car with just over 100,000 miles. Last GM product I'll ever buy.

GOOD BUT NOT GREAT
By MR.G

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought car used with 34000 miles.First thing i did was,replace front rotors and brake pads,second thing i did was flush the GM antifreeze from engine and went back with regular green anti freeze.I did this because the GM antifreeze will damage the cooling parts in engine and has a gum building inside cooling system.The third thing I did was replace the turn signal device on the steering column.The original broke one night and I could not dim my headlights.Cost was over $500.00.

Favorite Features

A safe and good performance car.Loaded with extras,but over time they will give problems.

Suggested Improvements

A good drive train motor and transmission but lacking on Quality in the electrical parts.I could not recommend this car unless you get it real cheap and have a good mechanic as a friend.

My first car!
By btown_jim

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My dad bought the 02 MC SS in bright red for me with 74k miles. had it for half a year now and still love it! handles beautifully, and has some power in the 3800cc engine!! trust me, this car can really book on the highways. interior feels like you're sitting on a really comfy couch, and i love the dual zone climate control. sound system is great too! my friends all love my car. they're always complimenting how its fast and attention-grabbing. my friend has an 02 MC LS and everyone prefers mine to his, so only look for SS when buying. after 76k still no problems! I plan to have this car for a long time to come.

Favorite Features

3.8L engine, dual zone climate control, sound system,

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage, louder exhaust sound