2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
Still love it after all these years.
By jackw972 on 04/22/14 19:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Monte Carlo LS brand new in '02. It had 48 miles on it, and shined like a new Penny. The car now has 140,000 miles on it. I've had little to no problems with the car till it had 100,000 miles on it. The problems came in waves. When I had trouble, it wasn't just one thing, it would be 2 or 3 things go bad about the same time. I'd get them fixed, and it would be fine for a while. At this point, the BCM went bad. I'm still working with that problem. It has 140K, it ain't perfect. I still like it, and still like driving it. I'm going to run the wheels off of it.

No wonder GM went bankrupt!
By 1dtidwell on 10/10/12 16:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Traction Control/ABS issues, crank position sensor, starts when it wants to (passlock issues)... It's never ending problems with this car with just over 100,000 miles. Last GM product I'll ever buy.

Love the car but too many problems
By dalesrfan on 07/06/10 14:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my monte ss however there has been a lot of problems with wiring flickering lights, paint issues after only having the car for 3 years the paint was bubbling and now just peeling off. Gm told me they would do nothing, also catalytic converter problems and most recent oil pan completely rotted out.

My first car!
By btown_jim on 04/07/10 10:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My dad bought the 02 MC SS in bright red for me with 74k miles. had it for half a year now and still love it! handles beautifully, and has some power in the 3800cc engine!! trust me, this car can really book on the highways. interior feels like you're sitting on a really comfy couch, and i love the dual zone climate control. sound system is great too! my friends all love my car. they're always complimenting how its fast and attention-grabbing. my friend has an 02 MC LS and everyone prefers mine to his, so only look for SS when buying. after 76k still no problems! I plan to have this car for a long time to come.

GOOD BUT NOT GREAT
By MR.G on 03/05/10 13:55 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought car used with 34000 miles.First thing i did was,replace front rotors and brake pads,second thing i did was flush the GM antifreeze from engine and went back with regular green anti freeze.I did this because the GM antifreeze will damage the cooling parts in engine and has a gum building inside cooling system.The third thing I did was replace the turn signal device on the steering column.The original broke one night and I could not dim my headlights.Cost was over $500.00.

still styling and smiling
By stillrollin on 02/28/10 13:04 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have a Dale Earnhardt edition and have been pleased. 95k miles and still goin. other than routine maint.and cat.converter.Recently had to change the t-stat,but after 94k, no problem. Haven't changed brakes or even wiper blades, don't know what's up with that, crazy. Peppy and still stops on a dime. I really don't drive aggressively. But nice to know I could when I need to. My girl loves the seat warmer. When she's washed and polished,well it's Black!More than I expected.

Cars that last
By Gahe on 12/18/09 08:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '02 MC with 11,000 miles on it in April of 2002. Since that time I have put on 318,000 on my own, putting my mileage at 328,000. The car looks and feels almost like it did when I bought it. I would buy another in a heartbeat!

great car!
By luvu2_much on 10/11/09 18:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in Oct. of '02. I have since given this car to my son with over 120K miles. Other than normal maintenance I have not spent a dime on this car. Great ride, excellent in the Ohio winters, and 30+ mpg at 70mph on the interstate. Solid feel to the car, nice stock stereo, and it handles very nice for a large coupe. I would definitely buy another one of the same year if I could find it with lower mileage. A great car for the money!

Love my bright yellow Monte Carlo SS
By Phil on 04/19/09 09:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I saw this car in bright yellow on a dealer's lot over an 1/8th of a mile from the street. It was so hot looking, I had to check it out. Before I knew it, I bought it. It rode way better than the Mustangs, was as quiet and road as well as a Cadillac, mine has every option except a power passenger seat or heated seats (which I don't really need where I live, and I usually drive alone anyway). This car has given me no problems since 2002, in fact, other than tires, I haven't spent a dime on it, and here it is 2008, the way car dealers count age, the car is 7 years old and has NO problems. I can't say enough about how good a buy this car was, best car I've had since 1969 Cougar Eliminator

Disappointed
By Collins on 01/26/09 10:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Beautiful, fun car to drive. Very disappointed in the resale value. Have had catalytic converter replaced (under warranty), PassLock security system failed, BCM unit went bad, power steering and brakes needed replaced, cooling system problems, and ignition system had to be replaced, all within the first 60,000 miles. Now the windshield fogs up, no cause detected by 2 certified mechanics. Fuel mileage is better than normal with 26 city, 35 highway.