Used 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Monte-carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

"Competition Yellow" paint competed w/my wallet
By dscarchick

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my yellow Monte Carlo SS used in 2007 and owned it until 2012 when I threw it on my bankruptcy with only 3 payments left (I had good reasons). When I 1st bought the car it was a blast! so much fun to drive, so much get up n go, so roomy for being a 2 door car, decent gas for a supercharged V6 etc. Then the issues started. I went through 3 catalytic converters which were NOT covered by warranty and there was no explanation as to why they kept going out. Then I had issue after issue with the cooling system. A radiator, 2 temp sensors, 2 cooling fans, water pump, hoses later, it STILL ran hot. Then driving home one day I heard a POP and there went 3rd gear. This car was unreliable...

Favorite Features

The leather interior, heated seats, sunroof, auto volume adjust for the radio, and onstar (which comes in handy when it breaks so much). It also had a lot of get up and go yet still got decent mileage for a supercharged V6.

Suggested Improvements

Get a cooling system that doesn't malfunction. Some of the hoses were made out of plastic and, it isn't rocket science, plastic melts when it gets hot. And green antifreeze worked fine for years. Why do we need orange? Also, the suspension sucks. I hate Ford's and the 2005 and newer Mustangs have awesome suspension compared to this car. There was far too much body roll which isn't expected of a sport coupe.

Still love it after all these years.
By jackw972

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Monte Carlo LS brand new in '02. It had 48 miles on it, and shined like a new Penny. The car now has 140,000 miles on it. I've had little to no problems with the car till it had 100,000 miles on it. The problems came in waves. When I had trouble, it wasn't just one thing, it would be 2 or 3 things go bad about the same time. I'd get them fixed, and it would be fine for a while. At this point, the BCM went bad. I'm still working with that problem. It has 140K, it ain't perfect. I still like it, and still like driving it. I'm going to run the wheels off of it.

Favorite Features

I like the overall style of it. Inside & out. Mine is black/black. I just think it's a cool looking car.

Suggested Improvements

They already covered the improvements. The car needed more horsepower. Even the '02 SS lacked grunt & go. I drove a new one in '02, and was dissapointed in the power it had over the cost. The later models had V8s w/301hp. I wish I had waited.

No wonder GM went bankrupt!
By 1dtidwell

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Traction Control/ABS issues, crank position sensor, starts when it wants to (passlock issues)... It's never ending problems with this car with just over 100,000 miles. Last GM product I'll ever buy.

Love the car but too many problems
By dalesrfan

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my monte ss however there has been a lot of problems with wiring flickering lights, paint issues after only having the car for 3 years the paint was bubbling and now just peeling off. Gm told me they would do nothing, also catalytic converter problems and most recent oil pan completely rotted out.

Favorite Features

Love the leather interior and the handling of the car...

My first car!
By btown_jim

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My dad bought the 02 MC SS in bright red for me with 74k miles. had it for half a year now and still love it! handles beautifully, and has some power in the 3800cc engine!! trust me, this car can really book on the highways. interior feels like you're sitting on a really comfy couch, and i love the dual zone climate control. sound system is great too! my friends all love my car. they're always complimenting how its fast and attention-grabbing. my friend has an 02 MC LS and everyone prefers mine to his, so only look for SS when buying. after 76k still no problems! I plan to have this car for a long time to come.

Favorite Features

3.8L engine, dual zone climate control, sound system,

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage, louder exhaust sound