2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:
"Competition Yellow" paint competed w/my wallet
By dscarchick on 07/18/14 16:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my yellow Monte Carlo SS used in 2007 and owned it until 2012 when I threw it on my bankruptcy with only 3 payments left (I had good reasons). When I 1st bought the car it was a blast! so much fun to drive, so much get up n go, so roomy for being a 2 door car, decent gas for a supercharged V6 etc. Then the issues started. I went through 3 catalytic converters which were NOT covered by warranty and there was no explanation as to why they kept going out. Then I had issue after issue with the cooling system. A radiator, 2 temp sensors, 2 cooling fans, water pump, hoses later, it STILL ran hot. Then driving home one day I heard a POP and there went 3rd gear. This car was unreliable...

No wonder GM went bankrupt!
By 1dtidwell on 10/10/12 16:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Traction Control/ABS issues, crank position sensor, starts when it wants to (passlock issues)... It's never ending problems with this car with just over 100,000 miles. Last GM product I'll ever buy.

Love the car but too many problems
By dalesrfan on 07/06/10 14:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my monte ss however there has been a lot of problems with wiring flickering lights, paint issues after only having the car for 3 years the paint was bubbling and now just peeling off. Gm told me they would do nothing, also catalytic converter problems and most recent oil pan completely rotted out.

My first car!
By btown_jim on 04/07/10 10:38 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My dad bought the 02 MC SS in bright red for me with 74k miles. had it for half a year now and still love it! handles beautifully, and has some power in the 3800cc engine!! trust me, this car can really book on the highways. interior feels like you're sitting on a really comfy couch, and i love the dual zone climate control. sound system is great too! my friends all love my car. they're always complimenting how its fast and attention-grabbing. my friend has an 02 MC LS and everyone prefers mine to his, so only look for SS when buying. after 76k still no problems! I plan to have this car for a long time to come.

GOOD BUT NOT GREAT
By MR.G on 03/05/10 13:55 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought car used with 34000 miles.First thing i did was,replace front rotors and brake pads,second thing i did was flush the GM antifreeze from engine and went back with regular green anti freeze.I did this because the GM antifreeze will damage the cooling parts in engine and has a gum building inside cooling system.The third thing I did was replace the turn signal device on the steering column.The original broke one night and I could not dim my headlights.Cost was over $500.00.

still styling and smiling
By stillrollin on 02/28/10 13:04 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have a Dale Earnhardt edition and have been pleased. 95k miles and still goin. other than routine maint.and cat.converter.Recently had to change the t-stat,but after 94k, no problem. Haven't changed brakes or even wiper blades, don't know what's up with that, crazy. Peppy and still stops on a dime. I really don't drive aggressively. But nice to know I could when I need to. My girl loves the seat warmer. When she's washed and polished,well it's Black!More than I expected.

great car!
By luvu2_much on 10/11/09 18:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in Oct. of '02. I have since given this car to my son with over 120K miles. Other than normal maintenance I have not spent a dime on this car. Great ride, excellent in the Ohio winters, and 30+ mpg at 70mph on the interstate. Solid feel to the car, nice stock stereo, and it handles very nice for a large coupe. I would definitely buy another one of the same year if I could find it with lower mileage. A great car for the money!

Love my bright yellow Monte Carlo SS
By Phil on 04/19/09 09:50 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I saw this car in bright yellow on a dealer's lot over an 1/8th of a mile from the street. It was so hot looking, I had to check it out. Before I knew it, I bought it. It rode way better than the Mustangs, was as quiet and road as well as a Cadillac, mine has every option except a power passenger seat or heated seats (which I don't really need where I live, and I usually drive alone anyway). This car has given me no problems since 2002, in fact, other than tires, I haven't spent a dime on it, and here it is 2008, the way car dealers count age, the car is 7 years old and has NO problems. I can't say enough about how good a buy this car was, best car I've had since 1969 Cougar Eliminator

Disappointed
By Collins on 01/26/09 10:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Beautiful, fun car to drive. Very disappointed in the resale value. Have had catalytic converter replaced (under warranty), PassLock security system failed, BCM unit went bad, power steering and brakes needed replaced, cooling system problems, and ignition system had to be replaced, all within the first 60,000 miles. Now the windshield fogs up, no cause detected by 2 certified mechanics. Fuel mileage is better than normal with 26 city, 35 highway.

Unhappy with Cheverolet company
By Billie Jo Shifflett on 11/07/08 13:55 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new. The first week of ownership I received a recall notice for the intake bolts due to them running hot. At 23000 miles I started having brake and rotor problems. Noticed a noise and took to the dealer and was told the steering shaft needed replacing. This seems to be a problem with these cars according to consumer reports magazine. Also with the brakes, rotors, and calipers. At 27000 miles I had all the rotors replaced. GM did nothing to help me with the latest problem of the steering shaft due to the car being out of warranty and being a 2002. I reminded them that this car has only 28000 miles on it and they need to correct their faulty parts by having a recall.