Used 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

You don't meet yourself every day!
By Delaine Booth

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My "02 Monte Carlo SS was two years old when I bought it. I'm an old school hot rodder, with the need for comfort. This car has taken me all over the east coast. It has never let me down, ever. The back seat lays down and has made for some fine sleeping in Key West and worked well as a spare room the night before going to the Atlanta Motor Speedway. This is the most comfortable car I've ever owned. The acceleration is surprising for the engine size. When I start to pass, consider it done. Wouldn't mind finding another with low mileage. Fourteen years and still fine.

Worst Car Ever to Come Out of GM
By A Lifetime Chevy Fan

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car is the worst ever to wear the Chevy bowtie. Shame on GM for releasing such a POS to an unsuspecting public. This car literally went to hell in the short time I owned it (and my maintenance was second-to-none, so it didn't even help). During the time I owned it, I ended up having major problems with the 3800 V6 engine, transmission, struts, catalytic converter, wheel bearings, plus a myriad of other little problems. After my experience, I will never again buy a General motors product. It's no wonder they are in the shape they are in. If you are thinking of buying a Monte Carlo (any year post 2000), you had better think again because it will destroy your wallet. I have since gone to Ford because they make a car that is light-years better in reliability than anything offered by GM.

"Competition Yellow" paint competed w/my wallet
By dscarchick

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my yellow Monte Carlo SS used in 2007 and owned it until 2012 when I threw it on my bankruptcy with only 3 payments left (I had good reasons). When I 1st bought the car it was a blast! so much fun to drive, so much get up n go, so roomy for being a 2 door car, decent gas for a supercharged V6 etc. Then the issues started. I went through 3 catalytic converters which were NOT covered by warranty and there was no explanation as to why they kept going out. Then I had issue after issue with the cooling system. A radiator, 2 temp sensors, 2 cooling fans, water pump, hoses later, it STILL ran hot. Then driving home one day I heard a POP and there went 3rd gear. This car was unreliable...

The leather interior, heated seats, sunroof, auto volume adjust for the radio, and onstar (which comes in handy when it breaks so much). It also had a lot of get up and go yet still got decent mileage for a supercharged V6.

Get a cooling system that doesn't malfunction. Some of the hoses were made out of plastic and, it isn't rocket science, plastic melts when it gets hot. And green antifreeze worked fine for years. Why do we need orange? Also, the suspension sucks. I hate Ford's and the 2005 and newer Mustangs have awesome suspension compared to this car. There was far too much body roll which isn't expected of a sport coupe.

No wonder GM went bankrupt!
By 1dtidwell

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Traction Control/ABS issues, crank position sensor, starts when it wants to (passlock issues)...
It's never ending problems with this car with just over 100,000 miles. Last GM product I'll ever buy.

Love the car but too many problems
By dalesrfan

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my monte ss however there has been a lot of problems with wiring flickering lights, paint issues after only having the car for 3 years the paint was bubbling and now just peeling off. Gm told me they would do nothing, also catalytic converter problems and most recent oil pan completely rotted out.

Love the leather interior and the handling of the car...