Used 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Monte-carlo - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Still love it after all these years.
By jackw972

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I got my Monte Carlo LS brand new in '02. It had 48 miles on it, and shined like a new Penny. The car now has 140,000 miles on it. I've had little to no problems with the car till it had 100,000 miles on it. The problems came in waves. When I had trouble, it wasn't just one thing, it would be 2 or 3 things go bad about the same time. I'd get them fixed, and it would be fine for a while. At this point, the BCM went bad. I'm still working with that problem. It has 140K, it ain't perfect. I still like it, and still like driving it. I'm going to run the wheels off of it.

Favorite Features

I like the overall style of it. Inside & out. Mine is black/black. I just think it's a cool looking car.

Suggested Improvements

They already covered the improvements. The car needed more horsepower. Even the '02 SS lacked grunt & go. I drove a new one in '02, and was dissapointed in the power it had over the cost. The later models had V8s w/301hp. I wish I had waited.

Cars that last
By Gahe

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '02 MC with 11,000 miles on it in April of 2002. Since that time I have put on 318,000 on my own, putting my mileage at 328,000. The car looks and feels almost like it did when I bought it. I would buy another in a heartbeat!

Favorite Features

At high speeds the car handles smooth and responsive. Overall balance of the wheelbase allows it to perform tight cornering at elevated speed. The bucket seats allow for a cradled feeling that keeps you saddled during turns.

Suggested Improvements

The heavy weighted doors cause most people to slam them when closing.

Love it!
By brennaflower

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love it! I have no complaints, I am proud of my purchase. Today I bought $300 worth of groceries and got all of them in the trunk! I also have a Camaro and I love it, but this car is much better for me to drive there's plenty of room for the kids, it is great!

Favorite Features

Everything

Suggested Improvements

No complaints!

Dont be fooled by its looks
By tankerman1919

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I was in the army and this was my first car coming out. I now sell cars. Don't get the 3.4 Monte. It's no good. At 45K new tranny. At 60K intake leak. Now I've got lifter noise. But can't afford to have it fixed. I mean this car looked OK. But far from the best. I would rather have my old '89 Honda Civic again. At least I knew it would run everyday.

Favorite Features

Steering is OK. The outside looks are sharp.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of all the plastics inside.

Disappointed for many reasons
By mw

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first brand new car ever! and I have some doubts if I will ever buy a Chevy product again. At 6000 miles the belts had to be replaced. At 12000 miles the steering shaft cracked and had to be replaced. by 16000 miles the water pump along with rotors/calipers had to be replaced. Around 22,000 miles it was the rotors again. 28,000 miles it was rotors/calipers and the A.B.S modules again. The car has 40,000 miles on it and rotors again. i live in chicago and im sure some it has to be city driving, but i really dont abuse this car at all. The interior design has improved over the previous model but mechanical it much worse.

Favorite Features

Daytime running lamps. The 10 minute power option delay. 17-18 mpg in the city. That new car that had 7 miles on it, felt well built and had no problems. Enough power for city/highway driving,

Suggested Improvements

Build quality and long term reliabilty. A dual cup holder in the fron. This car is very low to the ground. Maybe raise it