Used 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Love the style
By Teeez

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Unfortunately, we have had some pricey problems with the mechanics of our vehicle. The rear main seal started leaking at 40000 miles and had to be replaced at a tune of $500. We have had to have several things fixed on it, which has cost roughly $2500.

Favorite Features

I love the way my car drives in the rain, snow, or any weather. The heated leather seats are awesome.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest a longer warranyt on cars that are new to the car line. The 2001 SS Monte Carlos were new that year and had several expensive bugs to work out, which is a turn off.

Cheap interior, poor design
By B Kohlhase

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my SS new. Transmission going now at 85k. Headliner fell behind sunroof, dealer never could fix from day one. Electrical under seat poor design. Moving seat has pulled wires. Pulled seat heater, seatbelt light flashing. Electrical is poor. Signals quit working and can hear buzzer at times. Good driving machine though and still get compliments on the car at almost 7 years old.

Favorite Features

Looks. So many compliments on the style, even now.

Suggested Improvements

Improve design of electrical under the seats. Moving the seat breaks wiring. Use better interior products, cheap for such a good car

It's just okay.
By KevinJ

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

When I purchased the vehicle, I was relatively impressed. As much as i would love to say that I am still impressed to this day, I simply cannot. I have had to drop the car off to my local Chevy dealer multiple times for reasons like the car stalling randomly, running on 4cyl, broken rear defroster, a shot transmission, speakers not working, seat heater not working, sunroof broken, condensation in the tail lights, etc. To put it quite frankly, it has been a lemon. I do thoroughly enjoy driving it when it works (a rarity), but it needs more power for such a large displacing V6. I also enjoy the strength of the seat heaters(when they work.) I only have one more gripe. THE UGLIEST WHEELS EVER.

Favorite Features

Moderate power, interesting looks. Decent handling.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better electrical engineering, nicer rims right out of the factory. Better sound system, less plastic, louder exhaust. Power Power Power... It should live up to it's "SS" heritage. The only SS in this car is the owner, a "Super Spender."

Short Circuit
By Icarus

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I loved the way the car drove, but all other experiences with my Monte Carlo were terrible. I'm 6' 2" and the car did not fit me; my fault, I test drove the vehicle. Yet, I have had electrical problems of every sort. After six months, my airbag indicator light would come on as I was driving down the road. No problems for another six months and then turn signals began to short out. I thought it was a fuse but they went on and off. I am now experiencing the same problem with the driver's side window. The Chevy dealers I went to were rude and unwilling to help. I think my experiences with Chevy are over.

Favorite Features

Driving capabilities and power/ gas efficiency

Suggested Improvements

Service @ dealerships and the electrical system. My father and brother bought Chevys at the same time as myself and have experienced some of the problems I have, but not to such a great extent.

what a joke.....
By Nismo 400R

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

this is the most pathetic car i have ever driven in my life. problems.... Well where should i start. ABS system dos not work. brakes are soft. Engine gauges continuosly on. traction control sys. does not work. window on pass side does not work. car leaks on pass side (not from window.) From firewall or some where in there. carpet is soaked and probably is rusted out in floor board. if you buy a monte carlo i give you great sympathy. i hate this car and will never buy one again. maybe it is defective but i hate this car. if you are over 6ft tall like me you are screwed. this car has the quality of a honda civic

Favorite Features

nothing in hell would ge me to like this car

Suggested Improvements

dont get me started